• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

FUTURE OF CURING KNEE PAIN? STANFORD STUDY FINDS SOLUTION INVOLVING CREATING NEW CARTILAGE

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
While I know I'm not growing new cartilage, I've become a great believer in the importance of exercise that strengthens the muscles around the knees to help prevent issues. My mother and much older siblings had major problems with arthritis in their joints, so when I started having achy knees in my 50s I just figured it was my turn to deal with pain and ultimately a joint replacement. Then I started doing a low impact exercise class mostly targeted to people my age or older and included movements that were supposed to help the knees. Much to my surprise, the knee pain went away after several months and has not returned for years now. I can't do the organized class because of Covid, but use several on line videos that have similar movements. I'm also careful to get new work out shoes often because I can feel it in my knees when the support gets weak. I expect the exercise won't stave off the effects of arthritis forever, but it has given me many painless years. Now if could only find something similar for my achy finger joints!

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
While I know I'm not growing new cartilage, I've become a great believer in the importance of exercise that strengthens the muscles around the knees to help prevent issues. My mother and much older siblings had major problems with arthritis in their joints, so when I started having achy knees in my 50s I just figured it was my turn to deal with pain and ultimately a joint replacement. Then I started doing a low impact exercise class mostly targeted to people my age or older and included movements that were supposed to help the knees. Much to my surprise, the knee pain went away after several months and has not returned for years now. I can't do the organized class because of Covid, but use several on line videos that have similar movements. I'm also careful to get new work out shoes often because I can feel it in my knees when the support gets weak. I expect the exercise won't stave off the effects of arthritis forever, but it has given me many painless years. Now if could only find something similar for my achy finger joints!
Thanks for your post, I need this! I tore my meniscus and in the MRI they can see pretty severe arthritis. I've read alot about what you said (strengthening the muscles is the next best thing I can do). I'm just now easing back into my workouts, so far so good. I sure hope changing some things (like going to low impact) will allow me to continue to be active and pain free. I, too, have quite a bit of family knee history. Once covid is behind us I hope to find somewhere I can swim, too.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
On our Honeymoon in Hawaii in May 2003 Patti suffered a degenerative Meniscal tear in her left knee. It only took me almost 6 months to convince Patti to go see her Doctor. An MRI was ordered and she was referred to an Orthopedic Surgeon. The surgeon was about to schedule an arthroscopic surgery. Patti said wait a minute. She asked 2 questions. 1. Isn't it true that if you do this surgery it is likely that other degerative issues will be advance sooner by how ever little. The Doctor agreed this was true. 2. What else can be done. The Doctor put her on an intensive PT Program. This worked. A lot of the PT was to strengthen her Quads, which pulled the knee into better alignment. 17 years later no left knee surgery.

Another attorney I know that solely represents clients in Workers Compensation Cases was recommended for bilateral knee surgeries after 30 years of skiing. He did the intensive Quad PT and has avoided knee surgery.

I am not against surgery in appropriate cases. Patti needed it in her right knee for a flap tear that was causing instability. Good results.

Also every good orthopedic surgeon will tell you: I can restore some function and I can ease most of the pain. I can not cure you and give you a knee like you had when you were 20.

I worked in Workers Compensation for many years and we use to compare surgeons to carpenters. When the only tool you use is a hammer every problem looks like a nail.