• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Friends of ours want to give us their vacation club points - Looking for advice

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
You pretty much have it.

These do have value. Your friends could sell them on the open market and probably get several thousand dollars. If I were in your shoes, my first question would be: "Do I want these points for something close to market price." If so, I would offer to buy them for that price. Otherwise, I would feel as though I was taking advantage of them. I would probably buy it on the low end of the market, because you are making things really easy on your friends, and that has some value too.

Then, if Marriott takes it, they take it. If not, you have your points. Either way, your friend is paid a fair value for them.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
WOW! My friends are just looking for and easy way out without having to sell it on the open market. Marriott offered them nothing for the points but are willing to take the points from them. They would rather give the points away to us but apparently Marriott doesn't make that easy.
If they try selling us the points for a discounted price Marriott might buy the with ROFR and my friends are get rid of points and have money in their pockets. Am I understanding correctly?
You have it correct. The only issue I hear is that you seem to feel this is wrong which I understand. Your friends entered into a contractual arrangement with MVC that included ROFR which is a legal option. They could add your name to the contract but keep theirs on, whether you can later (in 1-2 years) remove theirs and stay whole is something I don't think any of use knows. You'd likely end up with 2 Club dues though.

NJMOM2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Abound Club Points
Marriott Harbour Lake
Marriott OceanWatch
Thank you all for your input. I will suggest to my friend that he try and sell his points on the resale market before handing them back to Marriott. If they don't sell, we'll revisit the possibility of buying the points from them.

goodbadugly

Reaction score
You certainly can do so and I'm sure it's done all the time. As a minimum it's unethical and dishonest. And I know some will take the position that it's a big company and they deserve what they get but IMO, this is about one's integrity. Where real estate is involved it would come under state statutes and case law related to timeshares and real estate. And to try to by pass ROFR by this method would then make it illegal in all states I've ever seen any information about.
Unethical and dishonest! I guess you haven't sat in on a MVC sales pitch recently.

Sicnarf

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have several Vistana, Hyatt, and Hilton units that were gifted to me by other owners who had to execute a gifting affidavit. The transfer "bypassed" the rofr process but I did not receive elite benefits as I am not an immediate family member.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Unethical and dishonest! I guess you haven't sat in on a MVC sales pitch recently.
Actually I have, one just last week but it doesn't matter. This is about one's own integrity. Plus two wrong's don't make a right and certainly don't excuse my behavior if I act inappropriately. I do not believe in situational ethics at all.

NJMOM2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Abound Club Points
Marriott Harbour Lake
Marriott OceanWatch
I spoke to my friends and told them to check the listings on Redweek for what people are asking for 2000 vacation club points. They were thinking that the points were only worth $1,000 but on Redweek they are listing for sale much higher. I don't know what they are going to decide to do with their week and points. If they just want to get rid of the points and Marriott has a way to gift them to us I will not feel like I did something immoral because I gave them all the information I learned.

loungehaiin

Reaction score
I have no comment on the best mechanism to get them into your name (and I've had a $0 TS transfer where Marriott exercised ROFR so I didn't get it).