• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Free Night Award

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
I got a Free Night Award Certificate (from having the Marriott credit card) to use up in a couple of months. When I log into my Marriott account, it shows up as:
Free Night Award Certificates (1) Boundless Free Night Award - 35K

I was expecting to see a category associated with it. Is the 35k the number of points I'm allowed for the one-night stay? (Any place I would want to stay at requires more than 35k points per night.) If so, could I add some MRPs to the awarded 35k if I wanted to stay a night in a hotel that required more points?

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I got a Free Night Award Certificate (from having the Marriott credit card) to use up in a couple of months. When I log into my Marriott account, it shows up as:

I was expecting to see a category associated with it. Is the 35k the number of points I'm allowed for the one-night stay? (Any place I would want to stay at requires more than 35k points per night.) If so, could I add some MRPs to the awarded 35k if I wanted to stay a night in a hotel that required more points?
I don't believe that is possible to add points to a cert like that.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)

You can stay at any hotel that requires 35k points or less a night. It is not possible to add points to stay at a hotel that requires more points.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
You're on the right track. In the old days, 35K points used to be category 5 (or lower). But Marriott introduced "peak pricing" in 2019, so a category 5 hotel might "cost" more than 35K points during peak demand periods. This has unfortunately decreased the usefulness of these "free night" certificates. So cross your fingers and keep searching for suitable redemptions.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Thanks for all the responses. Geez, I should've used it last year when I had a chance. I don't feel bad for canceling the credit card now.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
This is similar to the IHG credit card free night which devalued from intercontinental stays to holiday inns (ouch!)

So far we have been able to use the free nights to visit our college kids at Springhill Suites, but resort vacations are now not possible. When these devalue further it's time to dump the card and save the AF.

My DH upgraded last year to the 50k free night card and got 150k bonvoy points. Will likely downgrade when next MF is due to 35k night because this would combine with our other 35k nights into a long weekend vs. 1 night at 50k which may not be a great hotel during peak. We still get the same 6x on Vistana MF without the $450 fee so it does not appear that the 50k night incremental benefit is worth it.

Last edited:

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just used the free night in Indianapolis, just over $225/night room. Worth it to me, was driving to Ohio and passing through.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
We still get the same 6x on Vistana MF without the $450 fee so it does not appear that the 50k night incremental benefit is worth it.

The Bonvoy Brilliant is not really $450. More like $150 after the $300 Marriott credit for paying anything Marriott like annual maintenance fee. Also comes with free global entry every 4 years so brings my cost down to $125. For my calculations, I pay $30 more to get a 50k certificate instead of a 35k certificate. Might work for you or not. For me, it works so we pay the extra $30 for the 50k certificate.

PaulaC

TUG Member
Reaction score

We were able to use the free night for a Westin in Hawaii for an upcoming trip in February, so there are still some nice hotels that can be booked for your 35k certificate.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
The Bonvoy Brilliant is not really $450. More like $150 after the $300 Marriott credit for paying anything Marriott like annual maintenance fee. Also comes with free global entry every 4 years so brings my cost down to $125. For my calculations, I pay $30 more to get a 50k certificate instead of a 35k certificate. Might work for you or not. For me, it works so we pay the extra $30 for the 50k certificate.

For our situation, we own an EOY Westin so do not pay to stay at Marriott/Westin brands every year. And when we do, we use our 35k certs and breakfast is included (Springhill) so nothing extra to spend.

If we pay MF on 35k card we get same 6x as 50k card so no incremental benefit other than reduces card to $150. But would rather earn 3% Costco cash back, or Chase Rewards for MF spend which are more flexible so more valuable than Bonvoy pesos.

We have global entry on several other cards so incremental value is 0.

So the question becomes whether we can consistently find a hotel room worth significantly more than $150 a night when we travel that we would have been willing to pay $150 for. And whether it is worth additional $55 /$395 CSR point opportunity cost + hassle to keep the card for a better hotel room that is not available during peak.

The jury is still out for us but leaning toward a downgrade to the 35k card. YMMV based on travel patterns. Not a slam dunk like the Hilton Aspire card which offers airline and resort credits and is uncapped for anniversary hotel night

Last edited:

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Persistence can pay off sometimes. I was looking for a room in Time Square the Friday night between Xmas and NY. Cash prices were insane (over $700 for a room that slept 3). I first ended up securing something with 70K points....but kept checking daily and a Four Points Sheraton Cat 5 actually opened up for 35K points so I was able to use the free night CC cert. Appeared recently renovated and they upgraded me to a 1BR suite when I did mobile check-in! Keep checking, something may open up.