• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Free conversion from fixed weeks to points?

JAbbott

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lawai Beach Resort, Wyndham Kona Hawaiian
Received an email from Wyndham. They are offering us a free deal to upgrade our weeks deeds , Wyndham Kona Hawaiian resort, 2 weeks every other year, to Wyndham points. Offer stands until Dec 15th. We bought there because we like to go there. Truthfully, have only been once, but are booked in again in March 2022. We also go to Kauai (Lawai Beach) every year. On even years we tie in Kona for two weeks.
The letter talks about flexibility of points, being able to trade through the Wyndham properties, free RCImembership ( which we let lapse recently as we only used it once in three years). They also state that we can still book into our resort through an early booking window.
What do people think?

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
The RCI membership isn't exactly free. You'll pay 0.64 per thousand points if your deed is resale, with a minimum of $165 (in addition to your MF). RCI fees are paid out of that. That is calculated on your full contract points every year, not every use year.

I do find club enrollment flexible. You get advanced reservation priority on your underlying deeded interval if you want that, or can use the points for a stay at any available resort except margaritaville at 10 months out.

If you plan to use Kona every use year, it isn't worth the Club Fees, frankly.

One word of warning, though. If your deed is Floating, your points will be based on the underlying week's season. If you use your deeded priority to book your float in a higher season (but within your contract's original float period), it will cost more points than you were awarded.

Last edited:

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Did they tell you how many points you would get?

If it's enough points, at least 500k, that would make you Silver VIP. You would get a 25% discount on the number of points needed to book a reservation at 60 days or less from the check in date. A free upgrade on the unit size within 30 days of the check in date. You can request an automatic upgrade when you book the reservation if a larger unit becomes available within 30-4 days of the check in date. Up to six months into your use year to deposit points into one of the two next future use years. Five free guest confirmations. Two free housekeeping credits in addition to the one free one per each 70k points you have.

It's true that you would be able to use those points to book anything that's available at any of the resorts in the Wyndham system.

The free RCI account gives you the option to deposit points into RCI up until the last day of your use year and gives you two years to use them. Also to use the points you deposit to book one of the many resorts available through RCI.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did they tell you how many points you would get?

If it's enough points, at least 500k, that would make you Silver VIP. You would get a 25% discount on the number of points needed to book a reservation at 60 days or less from the check in date. A free upgrade on the unit size within 30 days of the check in date. You can request an automatic upgrade when you book the reservation if a larger unit becomes available within 30-4 days of the check in date. Up to six months into your use year to deposit points into one of the two next future use years. Five free guest confirmations. Two free housekeeping credits in addition to the one free one per each 70k points you have.

It's true that you would be able to use those points to book anything that's available at any of the resorts in the Wyndham system.

The free RCI account gives you the option to deposit points into RCI up until the last day of your use year and gives you two years to use them. Also to use the points you deposit to book one of the many resorts available through RCI.
She would need one million points. Her deed is every other year.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
She would need one million points. Her deed is every other year.

I forgot it's an every other year. From what other people posted in the past on other threads I'm thinking their expenses would be higher if they converted their weeks to Wyndham points. They'd still have the option of using the points to go to other Wyndham resorts so there is that plus. But they could also just rejoin RCI to able to deposit their weeks to go other places.

Do every other year contracts get any free housekeeping credits? I thought someone said they didn't. So that's an additional $159 for the housekeeping credit for every stay they have. Plus there's the $19 reservation transaction fees for reservations booked online and $39 if they call in to book.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently converted two weeks under a similar promotion. If it works the way it did for us: there is no cost for the conversion, and you can "undo" the conversion later also for no cost. For me, that was an easy call.

Again, if it works the way it did for us: When you call back, you'll be assigned to someone in an office who will schedule a longer call. In that call, they will verbally explain the points program, the costs, and the benefits. We were already Wyndham owners, so that part was pretty easy. They will also confirm how many points you would get. The letter (probably) doesn't tell you that, but you can figure it out by looking at the point chart for the resort here:

If it's enough points, at least 500k, that would make you Silver VIP.
The conversion results in VIP-eligible points only if you are the original owner of record of the weeks. If you bought them resale, the converted points are not VIP-eligible. Based on my experience, your account would not be enrolled in PlusPartners (unless you happen to already be Wyndham points owners with an eligible account). That was not an important consideration for me, as the only material benefit of that IMO is access to RCI Points inventory in your Wyndham account. But, you pay a slightly lower program fee without it.

You will pay a little bit more than you do now: a program fee that is added on to the maintenance fees you already pay, based on how many points you are granted. It will not be much: something between $165 and $200 each year, probably. That includes access to the Points system and the RCI account.

You will still have priority access to the resort: between 13 and 10 months, you will be entitled to your underlying ownership: this period is referred to as ARP, the Advanced Reservation Priority period. If you own fixed weeks, those are the weeks you can book. If you own floating weeks, you can book within your floating season, subject to availability, during ARP. The availability will come out of the set of inventory that has been converted. Unless you own a fixed unit, you will not be able to choose a unit when you reserve a converted week, even during ARP. This might matter if e.g. the views are drastically different within the float category you own, and you can choose now.

If you plan to go to your home resort "most of the time" (say, three out of every four cycles), the conversion might not make sense. And, it sounds like right now you are happy to just go back to Kona every other year. If you think you'd want to go somehwere else even half the time, then the conversion might be a good idea. The other big consideration is what your "fee ratio" ends up being: that is usually expressed in dollars-per-thousand-points. The numerator is how much you pay each year (this will be 1/2 your every-other-year maintenance fees plus the annual program fee), and the denominator is the points you own (effectively, 1/2 your every-other-year total.) Club Wyndham access is about $7.25. That's considered a little worse than average.

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
I posted briefly in the Maintenance fee thread, but I also recently received this email as an Avenue Plaza owner.

You will still have priority access to the resort: between 13 and 10 months, you will be entitled to your underlying ownership: this period is referred to as ARP, the Advanced Reservation Priority period. If you own fixed weeks, those are the weeks you can book. If you own floating weeks, you can book within your floating season, subject to availability, during ARP. The availability will come out of the set of inventory that has been converted. Unless you own a fixed unit, you will not be able to choose a unit when you reserve a converted week, even during ARP. This might matter if e.g. the views are drastically different within the float category you own, and you can choose now.

Be very careful if you own an event week there, as the reservation priority only goes to the deeded week number. I've been told by about the most knowledge phone rep for AVP reservations that in the years that Mardi Gras was not week 9 I would not have priority (same goes for the other event weeks - Lundi Gras, French Quarter Fest, Jazz fest weeks 1 and 2, and Sugar Bowl). I see absolutely no benefit in converting it.

JAbbott

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Received an email from Wyndham. They are offering us a free deal to upgrade our weeks deeds , Wyndham Kona Hawaiian resort, 2 weeks every other year, to Wyndham points. Offer stands until Dec 15th. We bought there because we like to go there. Truthfully, have only been once, but are booked in again in March 2022. We also go to Kauai (Lawai Beach) every year. On even years we tie in Kona for two weeks.
The letter talks about flexibility of points, being able to trade through the Wyndham properties, free RCImembership ( which we let lapse recently as we only used it once in three years). They also state that we can still book into our resort through an early booking window.
What do people think?

just talking to a person at Wyndham for another reason. One thing that jumped out at me. With weeks we can book 2 years in advance, points is only 13 months in advance. That makes a difference for us as we try and line up our 2 weeks at LBR with the two weeks at Kona!

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
I forgot it's an every other year. From what other people posted in the past on other threads I'm thinking their expenses would be higher if they converted their weeks to Wyndham points. They'd still have the option of using the points to go to other Wyndham resorts so there is that plus. But they could also just rejoin RCI to able to deposit their weeks to go other places.

Do every other year contracts get any free housekeeping credits? I thought someone said they didn't. So that's an additional $159 for the housekeeping credit for every stay they have. Plus there's the $19 reservation transaction fees for reservations booked online and $39 if they call in to book.
It is really no mystery. It is her current HOA fees plus Wyndham club fee. The club fee includes the RCI fee. She will pay the minimum most likely about $360,. All standard Wyndham plus benefits apply.

owebeewan

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Dikhololo
Mount Amanzi
Grandview
Kona
Capital Vacations
A seller is selling such a Kona converted _triennial_ week to a 2 Bedroom unit floating week. It offers 203,000 _annual_ Wyndham points. MF is $443.41/ year. This would make it among the best buys in the Wyndham system. Does this sound like what these converted weeks offer? @Eric B

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
A seller is selling such a Kona converted _triennial_ week to a 2 Bedroom unit floating week. It offers 203,000 _annual_ Wyndham points.
There is no way this is correct. Either the seller is mistaken or someone at Wyndham gravely f*d up.

In the former case, you'll find out if you buy it. In the latter, well...hope no one notices, I guess.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
My guess is that if you received an unsolicited offer from Wyndham it benefits Wyndham, not you. All I'm saying is be skeptical...

George

owebeewan

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Dikhololo
Mount Amanzi
Grandview
Kona
Capital Vacations
Here's the letter with the pertinent info from Wyndham dated 9/13/2021. The broker stated that this is the only property in the Wyndham system that does this.

1637438318891.png

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
That portion of the document does not say the ownership is triennial. If it were annual, that would be exactly correct.

If it really is triennial, then this is the "Wyndham made a grave mistake" case. Enjoy it while you can and keep your mouth shut. (if you want to delete these messages, LMK and I'll delete mine too.)

JAbbott

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Two floating biannual weeks, even years

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is no way this is correct. Either the seller is mistaken or someone at Wyndham gravely f*d up.

In the former case, you'll find out if you buy it. In the latter, well...hope no one notices, I guess.
That's $1350 devided by three is a yearly for triannual fee.

It is a Terrible deal. I can't remember how it works but there is a yearly extra fee to Wyndham.