• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

free breakfast, free tickets

theOPCman

Reaction score
I work at a welcome center owned by a timeshare company. I want people to know that it is at my expense you get the gifts you receive. We get a commission of 175 per scheduled tour. But two adult tickets and a child ticket to an attraction eats up 150.00 of that. My best day so far has been 3 set appointments, so I work for 12 hours for 75.00. Good jobs are hard to find and I thought this one would be good, jeez at first it seems like you can't help but make loads of money but that is not the reality. Timeshare has a bad name and reputation also people are very skeptical. I commute for over an hour every day just to have a job, if we do not register anyone that day we are paid 7.25 an hour.

Be kind to your OPC. Don't demand every ticket you can think of. The timeshare company is always finding "outs" not to pay us for this little glitch or another and worse they back charge our pay for tours that go wrong. I have worked entire week and end up owing the Billionaire corporation money because a tour was declared a courtesy tour. It really sucks to be stuck and walking away is not that easy when your bills are over your head. The salesman that closes the deal gets paid 2000 to 3000 dollars per each deal and we get nothing from that. This business model really sucks and won't change. My point is without the OPC setting up tours, the salesman has nothing to sell, why do we little guys pay for everything?

Many days a week I work all day for only one tour set because traffic is light or people are leery of being locked into a 5 hour ordeal at the timeshare. It now takes about 20 pitches to get one tour. This is by far the hardest and lowest paying sales gig I have ever had and I am 50 years old.

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
What???

If what you say is true, you are paying someone to have a job. I don't think you will get much sympathy on this site. I've been badgered to death in places like Charleston, S.C. and I have grown tired of the pitch. Also, the public is getting wise to the timeshare spiel. I would suggest changing jobs.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why you don't get a different job. You sound completely miserable. Saying you have bills hanging over your head while saying that you get paid $75. for a 12 hour shift doesn't make any sense. You could work at McDonald's and make more money than that.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I also think you can get those tickets at a big discount. I know they come out of your commission, but not full price.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Sorry . . . no sympathy coming from me.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Time for a new job. With so much information available on the internet it's only going to get worse for you.

After 30+ timeshare stays, we have attended exactly one presentation.

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't care where anyone works and when the person is paid to do the work whines about their work, I lose any respect I may have for that person. Either be appreciative of having a job or go find another job. Stop whining.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'm confused. If you think it's unfair that you don't get a slice of commission that timeshare salesman does, how would it be helpful to whine here?

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Whats worse is you lead unsuspecting lambs (who are helping you) to slaughter. At best wasting their vacation time and at worse burdening them with tens of thousands of dollars of debt. That leads to stress, divorce and bankruptcy.

Do you have no sympathy for the people who you are taking advantage of?

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
This is a funny post. I believe the OP will soon see the light and become a sniveling timeshare salesman, and berate those who waste his time by not buying after a four presentation.:hysterical::hysterical:

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a funny post. I believe the OP will soon see the light and become a sniveling timeshare salesman, and berate those who waste his time by not buying after a four presentation.:hysterical::hysterical:
I don't know, almost made me feel like I shouldn't ask for so much next time.

Nah!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are being exploited by your employer

You are being exploited by your employer. I know times can be tough and sometimes you have to take what you can get. However when you call people over to your booth they are absolutely NOT at fault for trying to get extra tickets. Why on Earth is the costs of those tickets coming out of your salary. That's one of the absurd things I've ever heard.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I would suspect that even if you commission comes out to less than minimum wage that your employer has to still pay you $7.25 an hour? $75 for 12 hours comes out to $6.25 an hour. Your employer probably still has to pay you the extra to make up the difference? I believe this is how it works for tipped employees now.

I would think though that you can get similar paying jobs within five minutes of where you live vs commuting an hour?

mj2vacation

Reaction score
I work at a welcome center owned by a timeshare company. I want people to know that it is at my expense you get the gifts you receive. We get a commission of 175 per scheduled tour. But two adult tickets and a child ticket to an attraction eats up 150.00 of that. My best day so far has been 3 set appointments, so I work for 12 hours for 75.00. Good jobs are hard to find and I thought this one would be good, jeez at first it seems like you can't help but make loads of money but that is not the reality. Timeshare has a bad name and reputation also people are very skeptical. I commute for over an hour every day just to have a job, if we do not register anyone that day we are paid 7.25 an hour.

Be kind to your OPC. Don't demand every ticket you can think of. The timeshare company is always finding "outs" not to pay us for this little glitch or another and worse they back charge our pay for tours that go wrong. I have worked entire week and end up owing the Billionaire corporation money because a tour was declared a courtesy tour. It really sucks to be stuck and walking away is not that easy when your bills are over your head. The salesman that closes the deal gets paid 2000 to 3000 dollars per each deal and we get nothing from that. This business model really sucks and won't change. My point is without the OPC setting up tours, the salesman has nothing to sell, why do we little guys pay for everything?

Many days a week I work all day for only one tour set because traffic is light or people are leery of being locked into a 5 hour ordeal at the timeshare. It now takes about 20 pitches to get one tour. This is by far the hardest and lowest paying sales gig I have ever had and I am 50 years old.

Let me break out my worlds smallest violin. Simple. Suck it up buttercup! Welcome to sales. If you want a steady paycheck, sales is not your gig.

First place gets a car...
Second place gets steak knives...
Third place gets fired!

And please don't ask for coffee....

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
I'm 99% certain this OP is not an employee but rather, and independent contractor. As such, they would not be entitled to minimum wage, etc.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I'm 99% certain this OP is not an employee but rather, and independent contractor. As such, they would not be entitled to minimum wage, etc.

You are probably right.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The issue with 1099 is that most companies are in violation of "misclassification" of employees. Very few people actually qualify to be an independent contractor. The federal government funds a large group of auditors to audit companies who have "1099" independent contractors. I believe timeshare companies are in violation as folks like the OP are under their control and directed in what they do and hence really should be employees.

More than likely OP was given a commission-only position. In CA, where I am, those positions are risky for the employers and are subject to meeting minimum wage as well. I do not know about other states.

Last edited:

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Let me break out my worlds smallest violin. Simple. Suck it up buttercup! Welcome to sales. If you want a steady paycheck, sales is not your gig.

LOL. Had just put a handful of nuts in my mouth -- now picking little bits off my computer screen. Would love to know what area the OP works in. Cliff was SOOO mad at me in Savannah because he claimed I was rude to the 80 year old lady trying to set us up for a timeshare presentation at what I THOUGHT was the welcome/information center. I don't think he said two words to me the rest of the day.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
First of all, I don't believe this is a real story.

Second, if it is, it is not legal as Dioxide notes a worker must be paid at least the Federal minimum wage of $7.25/hr., and I doubt this type of work qualifies as a non-employee (certainly not in CA).

Finally, this reminds me of Lonnie at Timber Lodge begging me to buy points so he could pay his mortgage and feed his new kid.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
First of all, I don't believe this is a real story.
Yeah, I wondered that myself. I had always heard OPCs get paid fairly well.

I work at a welcome center owned by a timeshare company.....
Curious -- which timeshare company? If it's Westgate, I'm not surprised they are ripping you off. They have quite a reputation of doing that to owners.