• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

FREE - 2 Weeks, SANDS OF KAHANA, MAUI, HAWAII, Floating 1-50, Even Year, 2 bdrm/2bath, sleeps 6

akbear

Reaction score
2 Weeks at Sands of Kahana Resort – Maui, Hawaii
Located in western Maui, between Kaanapali and Kapalua

https://www.sandsofkahanaresort.com/

Unit:

Orchid unit, 2 Bedroom, 2 Bath - with numerous amenities, sleeps 6.

Weeks Available:

Two (2) weeks, Deeded

Usage:

Floating 1-50 weeks of every-other-even year.

2020 year - both weeks have been exchanged to 40 and 43 points at RCI with expiration date of 12/31/2022

I will gladly transfer these points to the new owner for their immediate use upon successful transaction. RCI points transfer fee for each week applies. Alternatively, I can transfer the entire RCI membership with the balance of 83 points after the deed is recorded in the new owner's name.

2022 is next regular Resort usage year. New owner can make online reservations 365 days in advance starting January 1, 2021. Early reservations guarantee the “Ocean Front” or the “Ocean View” units.

RCI Points:
Each week generates max 43 exchange points (86 total) on RCI depending on weeks deposit time period .

Renovation:
Resort unit renovations have been completed in 2019

Resort Fees:

Total for two (2) weeks = $1,805 per year

All 2020 fees will be prepaid by current owner.

Title Transfer:

I will split 50/50 with the new owner - all required paperwork preparation, RCI transfer and required Resort transfer fees: transfer fee and general fund fee.
New owner will be responsible for prepayment of all 2021 fees required by the Resort before transfer: maintenance, property tax, and land fee.

sok-4.jpg
sok-3.jpg

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Please let us know what the total maintenance fees are for the weeks. I would guess it's over $1,800 per week with property taxes, replacement fund, etc. I used to own there, so I know the fees are higher than that.

Thanks!

akbear

Reaction score
Please let us know what the total maintenance fees are for the weeks. I would guess it's over $1,800 per week with property taxes, replacement fund, etc. I used to own there, so I know the fees are higher than that.

Thanks!
I believe your two year estimate per week is accurate. I called the Resort Management and inquired about the fees before posting. They told me that since these weeks are every-other-year (even), the owner pays half of all dues every year. I was given the amount $240.61 (property tax and renovation loan) PLUS $662.09 (maintenance). This equals to $902.70 per week/per year ($1,805.40 total for two years). For two weeks that will be about $1,805 per year in fees.

Thanks for asking.

Last edited:

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
@akbear, I think that you are wrong or misleading on several counts.
1. You have a deeded property and I am pretty sure that the RCI points membership does NOT transfer on ownership. I'm not sure if there is a way to transfer RCI points from one owner to another. I suspect that there is not.
2. The costs of ownership include the annual MF, the taxes, and the refurbishment fee (which continues for 4 (?) years).
3. You listed the cost as $1805.43 for two years use. But that is the cost for 2 years for EACH week. So, if you're selling 2 weeks, then every year the new owner will pay the $1805. They collect half every year. So $1805 year 1, $1805 year two, $1805 year three...
I'm not trying to mess up your sale, but I would hate to see a new buyer get a big surprise.
I'm an owner at the Sands. Two weeks EOY.
4. The transfer fee is $550. Splitting it makes sense.

Last edited:

akbear

Reaction score
@akbear, I think that you are wrong or misleading on several counts.
1. You have a deeded property and I am pretty sure that the RCI points membership does NOT transfer on ownership. I'm not sure if there is a way to transfer RCI points from one owner to another. I suspect that there is not.
2. The costs of ownership include the annual MF, the taxes, and the refurbishment fee (which continues for 4 (?) years).
3. You listed the cost as $1805.43 for two years use. But that is the cost for 2 years for EACH week. So, if you're selling 2 weeks, then every year the new owner will pay the $1805. They collect half every year. So $1805 year 1, $1805 year two, $1805 year three...
I'm not trying to mess up your sale, but I would hate to see a new buyer get a big surprise.
I'm an owner at the Sands. Two weeks EOY.
4. The transfer fee is $550. Splitting it makes sense.
Dear BJRSanDiego,
1. I called and inquired with RCI about the points and the entire account transfer. According to RCI, yes, you can transfer points (separately for each week) to another RCI member for a fee. If someone wants my points as part of this transaction there will have to be two transfers arranged - one with 40 and another with 43 points. I was told that I will have to call and arrange for the points transfer over the phone. In addition, according to RCI, after the deed has been recorded in new owner's name, I can transfer the entire account to the new owner for a fee. There is a transfer form on RCI website. So please check it out.
2. I did not get the complete breakdown of all fees, just the approximate total. I will gladly get the breakdown from Resort Management and provide all details to someone who is seriously interested in this deal.
3. Sorry, if it was not clearly stated. I have no reason to mislead anyone. I thought giving "$902.70 per week/per year " was clear enough. As you correctly stated the total for both weeks will be $1,805 per year. I will update the original post with the total as you suggested.
4. Yes, I believe splitting the paperwork and transfer fees is fair. I will gladly split the RCI transfer fees as well.
Our family owned these weeks since 1998...
Thank you very much for your input and assistance in clarification.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
He is talking TPU's which is probably very accurate. RCI Points is another product entirely.

The owner should have a statement of the fees. I find the statements by Soleil Management (Consolidated, formerly) to be quite complicated to read, but you can log into your account and view the fees.

I am sure the fees are higher than that, since we own at Hono Koa and haven't been charged a refurbishment fee yet, and our fees are $1,950 with taxes, land lease, replacement fund, etc. It goes up every year and I keep complaining about the awful living room furniture. I love the people at the resorts, absolutely love everyone (except the salespeople), and have been treated with true aloha.

Granted, our fees are very high, since we own in the four oceanfront units, not just ocean view, but our fees at Hono Koa were always lower, much lower, than SOK. That is why I sold SOK through Sayed at Advantage Vacations. A plug for him seems appropriate here. You might want to contact him. I didn't make anything on the sale, but I did get out of the unit just fine and bought what I wanted.

It's still a great offer, free Maui timeshare.

@BJRSanDiego, did you get AC at Sands? I saw a picture of the refurb on RCI, and it looks like there is a wall AC unit.

I heard the head of the management company is wanting to add AC to Hono Koa, which I think should be charged to guests for use (locked somehow?) and given to owners without an extra charge.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
@BJRSanDiego, did you get AC at Sands? I saw a picture of the refurb on RCI, and it looks like there is a wall AC unit.

I heard the head of the management company is wanting to add AC to Hono Koa, which I think should be charged to guests for use (locked somehow?) and given to owners without an extra charge.
We were there in the spring of 2019 after all of the refurbs and no, they still do not have AC. Most owners want it but it might be a complicated and expensive undertaking. Some of the AOAO (full time and fractional) owners have AC. But the timeshare units don't have AC.

The refurbs were, in my opinion, extremely expensive. We were paying about $300 a year towards the bank loan for the land purchase. That was completed in about 2018. Then they extended the loan for the refurb. Someone told me that we have another 4 years left. So, I think that I'll end up paying about $2K for the refurb. That comes out to $100K per unit (50 weeks). The refurb included new cabinets, granite countertops, new furniture, new carpet, new window coverings (which are already self destructing), and new wall decorations but they kept the existing floor and shower tile. And still no AC....

When we stayed at the Kona Coast II on the BI, they had optional AC. You got a key for the AC and when you turned the special switch, it recorded that you had switched it on. We were in a 2 BR and the cost per day was around $10 or 12. My wife told me that it was "well spent money". If she's happy then I am too (and the converse is also true) :whooopie:

akbear

Reaction score
He is talking TPU's which is probably very accurate. RCI Points is another product entirely.

The owner should have a statement of the fees. I find the statements by Soleil Management (Consolidated, formerly) to be quite complicated to read, but you can log into your account and view the fees.

I am sure the fees are higher than that, since we own at Hono Koa and haven't been charged a refurbishment fee yet, and our fees are $1,950 with taxes, land lease, replacement fund, etc. It goes up every year and I keep complaining about the awful living room furniture. I love the people at the resorts, absolutely love everyone (except the salespeople), and have been treated with true aloha.

Granted, our fees are very high, since we own in the four oceanfront units, not just ocean view, but our fees at Hono Koa were always lower, much lower, than SOK. That is why I sold SOK through Sayed at Advantage Vacations. A plug for him seems appropriate here. You might want to contact him. I didn't make anything on the sale, but I did get out of the unit just fine and bought what I wanted.

It's still a great offer, free Maui timeshare.

I called Soleil Management and got the breakdown of fees for each week. Here it is:

SOK fees.JPG

Thanks for the tip about Advantage Vacations. I believe I will need to sign a sales contract with them which might lengthen the entire process. I will wait a bit on TUGBBS for any takers before contacting them.

Last edited:

akbear

Reaction score
We were there in the spring of 2019 after all of the refurbs and no, they still do not have AC. Most owners want it but it might be a complicated and expensive undertaking. Some of the AOAO (full time and fractional) owners have AC. But the timeshare units don't have AC.

The refurbs were, in my opinion, extremely expensive. We were paying about $300 a year towards the bank loan for the land purchase. That was completed in about 2018. Then they extended the loan for the refurb. Someone told me that we have another 4 years left. So, I think that I'll end up paying about $2K for the refurb. That comes out to $100K per unit (50 weeks). The refurb included new cabinets, granite countertops, new furniture, new carpet, new window coverings (which are already self destructing), and new wall decorations but they kept the existing floor and shower tile. And still no AC....

When we stayed at the Kona Coast II on the BI, they had optional AC. You got a key for the AC and when you turned the special switch, it recorded that you had switched it on. We were in a 2 BR and the cost per day was around $10 or 12. My wife told me that it was "well spent money". If she's happy then I am too (and the converse is also true) :whooopie:

Thanks for the info on the remodeling. I have not been back to enjoy the remodeled unit since I traded my weeks on RCI over the last few years. Here is a scan of the Before/After brochure sent by the Resort if anyone is interested:

SOK-Remodel__005.jpg

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I called Soleil Management and got the breakdown of fees for each week. Here it is:

View attachment 24607

Thanks for the tip about Advantage Vacations. I believe I will need to sign a sales contract with them which might lengthen the entire process. I will wait a bit on TUGBBS for any takers before contacting them.
I wouldn't wait. It's just a matter of faxing your deeds to them and signing a contract. They might not get a taker soon, but they do charge a fee for selling, so you need to tell them you don't want to be out-of-pocket for anything. They will set the price accordingly. I didn't make anything, but I didn't lose a dime, either. I told them to sell it and have the new buyer pay all costs. It did take a few months.

I remember a time when SOK was $12,000 resale per week, and Advantage got that much. Now it's not easy to give these away. Crazy. I do love SOK. I would buy, if I wasn't sure it would be a burden for us later on in life.

akbear

Reaction score
I wouldn't wait. It's just a matter of faxing your deeds to them and signing a contract. They might not get a taker soon, but they do charge a fee for selling, so you need to tell them you don't want to be out-of-pocket for anything. They will set the price accordingly. I didn't make anything, but I didn't lose a dime, either. I told them to sell it and have the new buyer pay all costs. It did take a few months.

I remember a time when SOK was $12,000 resale per week, and Advantage got that much. Now it's not easy to give these away. Crazy. I do love SOK. I would buy, if I wasn't sure it would be a burden for us later on in life.

I looks like it's definitely wiser to go through Advantage instead of splitting transfer costs with anyone. :)

Agree, it's crazy. My kids loved the location, especially snorkeling at the Napili beach nearby. I was in heaven since Maui Brewery is 5 min walking distance... :)

My SOK weeks have been generating so many RCI points that (depending on the season) I was able to exchange these two weeks to 5-6 weeks at various resorts around the world... And, some places were over $500/per night if booked online. In that regard, it was wonderful.

Last edited:

morkestates

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
none
first usage in 2022? i assume this year used then?

morkestates

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
none
i ask because im planning a vacation next month would have no issue paying for the time and possibly taking the ownership if time has not been used

akbear

Reaction score
i ask because im planning a vacation next month would have no issue paying for the time and possibly taking the ownership if time has not been used
I couldn't use my weeks in Hawaii this year so I exchanged them both to RCI points which I am including in the take-over deal. There are 83 points (40 for one week and 43 for another) that can be used to book vacations anywhere in the world (including Hawaii) anytime until 12/31/2022. I believe RCI points can be extended beyond the expiration date for a fee.

Last edited:

morkestates

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
none
I couldn't use the weeks in Hawaii so I exchanged both weeks to RCI points which I am including in the take-over deal. There are 83 points (40 and 43) that can be used anywhere in the world (including Hawaii) anytime until 12/31/2022.
only way ive usually used RCI was last calls I was just hoping. Its unfortunate because it would have worked out perfectly I may over looked it but are your fees paid monthly or annual? I saw the amount I am still gona consider it

akbear

Reaction score
only way ive usually used RCI was last calls I was just hoping. Its unfortunate because it would have worked out perfectly I may over looked it but are your fees paid monthly or annual? I saw the amount I am still gona consider it
I usually received two billings per year - one in July and another in December.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It is a beautiful resort. This is a great offer. I guarantee you will love it.