• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Fourth Covid jab can give higher immunity than initial booster, study finds

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Congrats, hope it lasts more than 4 months.

Our 1st booster was in October and 2nd booster this week before we travel to St Thomas. We have never gotten sick. Personally, I think we are all very healthy and that is why we have not gotten Covid yet. The CDC says most people with severe Covid or died have been either elderly or with co morbid conditions or both, with obesity as #1 risk factor and heart disease including hypertension up there too. Of course, some younger healthy people have gotten it. There are always exceptions. Now, 75% of Americans are overweight or obsese. I was shocked when I found out how the number has moved from 66% to 75%.

The other thing I learned is Covid was only the 3rd leading cause of death in 2020, according to the CDC. That surprised me because the media kept recoding it was number 1. Heart disease and cancer were #1 and double the rate of Covid each. Reporting 1 million deaths is misleading to me. No one reports close to 2 million deaths for heart disease in the same period. Or close to 4 million deaths for both heart disease and cancer in same period.

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our 1st booster was in October and 2nd booster this week before we travel to St Thomas. We have never gotten sick. Personally, I think we are all very healthy and that is why we have not gotten Covid yet. The CDC says most people with severe Covid or died have been either elderly or with co morbid conditions or both, with obesity as #1 risk factor and heart disease including hypertension up there too. Of course, some younger healthy people have gotten it. There are always exceptions. Now, 75% of Americans are overweight or obsese. I was shocked when I found out how the number has moved from 66% to 75%.
Good, glad to hear about your good heath, stay safe and enjoy your heathy outcomes.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn

The other thing I learned is Covid was only the 3rd leading cause of death in 2020, according to the CDC. That surprised me because the media kept recoding it was number 1. Heart disease and cancer were #1 and double the rate of Covid each. Reporting 1 million deaths is misleading to me. No one reports close to 2 million deaths for heart disease in the same period. Or close to 4 million deaths for both heart disease and cancer in same period.

But there is no safe and effective vaccine to end almost all of those deaths. I wonder if there was if we still would have looney tunes anti vaxxers giving false reasons not to get vaccinated.

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
But there is no safe and effective vaccine to end almost all of those deaths. I wonder if there was if we still would have looney tunes anti vaxxers giving false reasons not to get vaccinated.
Their reasons are personal and and totally right for them and their families no matter what you think.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara

Probably. I assume a percentage of the population will not get a vaccine no matter what. However, to be fair, a huge percentage of people who got the initial vaccines have not gotten a booster shot.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just to be clear, while I am proud we have not gotten Covid after 2 years and 2 months or longer since it clearly started in the US, I am not fooling myself that we will never get it. I think it is endemic and almost everyone will eventually get it despite 4 vaccine shots currently available. I just hope we are like the 100+ people I know who have gotten it and have had mild cases. Even my 88 year old aunt got it with no symptoms at all. She is extra healthy for her age and looks 60.

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Probably. I assume a percentage of the population will not get a vaccine no matter what. However, to be fair, a huge percentage of people who got the initial vaccines have not gotten a booster shot.
Probably because most of them have gotten Covid since the first vaccine shots and have acquired immunity plus the vaccine.

geekette

Reaction score
Just to be clear, while I am proud we have not gotten Covid after 2 years and 2 months or longer since it clearly started in the US, I am not fooling myself that we will never get it. I think it is endemic and almost everyone will eventually get it despite 4 vaccine shots currently available. I just hope we are like the 100+ people I know who have gotten it and have had mild cases. Even my 88 year old aunt got it with no symptoms at all. She is extra healthy for her age and looks 60.
I will not accept that it is inevitable and will continue to mitigate my risks of getting it. I wouldn’t call it fooling myself but rather avoidance strategy.

even mild cases can also experience long covid or down the road unseen issues. It is honestly the blood clots that bother me most, but I also don’t want any cognitive decline since my brain is already more than a half century old.

geekette

Reaction score
Hadn’t looked into this, do you know what that vax/no boost percentage is? I don’t think there could be reliable stats on that but maybe you found something?

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Assorted comments:

1. Health experts are not only concerned with current reluctance to get vaccinated, but that this reluctance will carry over to the next virus to strike (non-Covid, but serious to deadly). There will be new viruses (this is inevitable) and it is a concern that they will be more deadly because of continuing anti-vaxxing sentiments.
  2. With regard to long Covid, here is a report issued just yesterday. Note this part of the report: ...nearly 1 out of 5 people who did not experience symptoms when they initially contracted the coronavirus reported having at least one long COVID symptom about a month after their infection.
  3. While the effects of the Omicron version are less severe, that does not equate to Omicron being a nothing burger. Daily deaths have been hovering around 315 which translate into about 115,000 per year. Currently there are about 2400 people in ICU with Covid. (Source, daily reports found in the NYT.) Worse yet, numbers in Europe are horrendous and they may just be the forerunner for what is coming here.
  4. I have stated elsewhere that I have not let fear of Covid bring my life to a stop. I have travelled, eat at restaurants, shop several times a week. The one thing that I do that I see very few others do is where a KN95 mask when in public. I would advise others to take this precaution.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Assorted comments:

1. Health experts are not only concerned with current reluctance to get vaccinated, but that this reluctance will carry over to the next virus to strike (non-Covid, but serious to deadly). There will be new viruses (this is inevitable) and it is a concern that they will be more deadly because of continuing anti-vaxxing sentiments.
  2. With regard to long Covid, here is a report issued just yesterday. Note this part of the report: ...nearly 1 out of 5 people who did not experience symptoms when they initially contracted the coronavirus reported having at least one long COVID symptom about a month after their infection.
  3. While the effects of the Omicron version are less severe, that does not equate to Omicron being a nothing burger. Daily deaths have been hovering around 315 which translate into about 115,000 per year. Currently there are about 2400 people in ICU with Covid. (Source, daily reports found in the NYT.) Worse yet, numbers in Europe are horrendous and they may just be the forerunner for what is coming here.
  4. I have stated elsewhere that I have not let fear of Covid bring my life to a stop. I have travelled, eat at restaurants, shop several times a week. The one thing that I do that I see very few others do is where a KN95 mask when in public. I would advise others to take this precaution.
I'm so glad that you continue to mention Long COVID. At the risk of boring half of you and enraging the other half, I'll once more share my experience:

After two years of being better safe than sorry in order to ensure as much as possible that I could fill in when my grandchildren's daycares unexpectedly closed due to exposures, I attended a small outdoor gathering at which guests were asked nicely by the hosts to be either masked or vaxxed. I was both, except my "mask" was a heavy winter scarf which I kept on my face other than when I was sipping tea from the mug I brought. Several days later after feeling like I had a head cold I tested positive. That day or the next all of us who attended the gathering were told that three of the guests were neither masked nor vaxxed, *despite knowing that they were symptomatic with similar head cold symptoms.* Everyone tested after that and several more were positive.

I was decidedly NOT in any risk group for a severe course of infection - 61YO, no underlying medical conditions, 19.9 BMI. My initial course was mild enough that I and my doctor weren't concerned enough to require a visit or medication other than typical OTC cold remedies. I had a headache, runny nose, ringing in my ears ... certainly nothing to cause undue alarm. The only way you could know I had COVID was if you heard me ranting and raving about the selfishness of those three inconsiderate cretins!

But it never went away. As the weeks went on the same symptoms stayed with me (with the headache getting progressively worse) but more also presented: lethargy, decreased strength, reduced muscle function. It was all measurable and noticeable. I kept in touch with my doctor and she determined when it was she wanted me to come in, which I did sometime around the third week, and she found some concerning heart rhythms that I had no idea were happening. She sent me to a cardiologist who set up a few tests and when those results came in, that cardiologist sent me to another. I've been put on heart medication for the first time in my life and am seeing all three of these doctors on a schedule. They all think Long COVID is the cause, so we're all getting quite an education about it as are millions of others.

It is so damned discouraging hearing people say over and over and over and over and over that we are done with COVID, that it's not necessary to worry about it, that the vaccines mean you can get it and be assured of a short-duration mild cold-like illness, that we need to just ignore the outliers and go back to our regular lives. So damned discouraging.

I still don't wish COVID on anyone. Not one single soul. But neither am I going to sit back and allow statements about COVID being insignificant go unchallenged. I'm going to challenge them and repeat my experience to anyone within hearing distance - not because I want people to feel sorry for me, but because I want people to not have to feel sorry for themselves of their loved ones.

COVID has destroyed some families, killing far too many people before their time and making orphans of so many more. It has beaten down professionals in the medical fields to the point where far too many of them need PTSD counseling. It has caused political fallout from which we may never recover, especially with regard to the respect and cache that's been unfairly denied to appointed experts and spokespeople. It has set a precedent for public health which should have all of us worrying about what will happen during the next pandemic.

It is not over. Not yet. But more importantly, for some of us it may never be over. I'm happy for those of you who are, so far, unscathed. Consider yourselves lucky, but please stop negating the experiences of those of us who have not been as lucky.

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm so glad that you continue to mention Long COVID. At the risk of boring half of you and enraging the other half, I'll once more share my experience:

After two years of being better safe than sorry in order to ensure as much as possible that I could fill in when my grandchildren's daycares unexpectedly closed due to exposures, I attended a small outdoor gathering at which guests were asked nicely by the hosts to be either masked or vaxxed. I was both, except my "mask" was a heavy winter scarf which I kept on my face other than when I was sipping tea from the mug I brought. Several days later after feeling like I had a head cold I tested positive. That day or the next all of us who attended the gathering were told that three of the guests were neither masked nor vaxxed, *despite knowing that they were symptomatic with similar head cold symptoms.* Everyone tested after that and several more were positive.

I was decidedly NOT in any risk group for a severe course of infection - 61YO, no underlying medical conditions, 19.9 BMI. My initial course was mild enough that I and my doctor weren't concerned enough to require a visit or medication other than typical OTC cold remedies. I had a headache, runny nose, ringing in my ears ... certainly nothing to cause undue alarm. The only way you could know I had COVID was if you heard me ranting and raving about the selfishness of those three inconsiderate cretins!

But it never went away. As the weeks went on the same symptoms stayed with me (with the headache getting progressively worse) but more also presented: lethargy, decreased strength, reduced muscle function. It was all measurable and noticeable. I kept in touch with my doctor and she determined when it was she wanted me to come in, which I did sometime around the third week, and she found some concerning heart rhythms that I had no idea were happening. She sent me to a cardiologist who set up a few tests and when those results came in, that cardiologist sent me to another. I've been put on heart medication for the first time in my life and am seeing all three of these doctors on a schedule. They all think Long COVID is the cause, so we're all getting quite an education about it as are millions of others.

It is so damned discouraging hearing people say over and over and over and over and over that we are done with COVID, that it's not necessary to worry about it, that the vaccines mean you can get it and be assured of a short-duration mild cold-like illness, that we need to just ignore the outliers and go back to our regular lives. So damned discouraging.

I still don't wish COVID on anyone. Not one single soul. But neither am I going to sit back and allow statements about COVID being insignificant go unchallenged. I'm going to challenge them and repeat my experience to anyone within hearing distance - not because I want people to feel sorry for me, but because I want people to not have to feel sorry for themselves of their loved ones.

COVID has destroyed some families, killing far too many people before their time and making orphans of so many more. It has beaten down professionals in the medical fields to the point where far too many of them need PTSD counseling. It has caused political fallout from which we may never recover, especially with regard to the respect and cache that's been unfairly denied to appointed experts and spokespeople. It has set a precedent for public health which should have all of us worrying about what will happen during the next pandemic.

It is not over. Not yet. But more importantly, for some of us it may never be over. I'm happy for those of you who are, so far, unscathed. Consider yourselves lucky, but please stop negating the experiences of those of us who have not been as lucky.
Some of us have recovered from our long Covid bout, i sincerely hope you do too Sue. Stay strong and although is hard right now try to develop a positive attitude it can really help with healing.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
More on long Covid

Brett

Reaction score
Assorted comments:

glad I got a 2nd booster

Virginia reaches highest daily COVID-19 case count in months
https://www.13newsnow.com/video/new...nths/291-6c14da2f-c592-4f6d-bd99-558309922309

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hear comes the fear and loathing just in time for summer.

MdRef

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Las Vegas, Orlando

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Some of us have recovered from our long Covid bout, i sincerely hope you do too Sue. Stay strong and although is hard right now try to develop a positive attitude it can really help with healing.
Hear comes the fear and loathing just in time for summer.
Just so that you're aware and can't claim innocence in the future, Allen, the latter is the reason that the former cannot be believed.

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just so that you're aware and can't claim innocence in the future, Allen, the latter is the reason that the former cannot be believed.
My comment is mostly about the new Monkey Pox outbreak not so much about Covid. My comment about Long Covid still stands and is sincere accept it or reject it its all your choice of course. Sue have a blessed day.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My comment is mostly about the new Monkey Pox outbreak not so much about Covid. My comment about Long Covid still stands and is sincere accept it or reject it its all your choice of course. Sue have a blessed day.
Your former comment about Long COVID was in response to a lengthy post I wrote begging people to please stop being so nonchalant about the ongoing effects of COVID-19 and so flippant about the continuing necessity of a healthy dose of fear, which any reader would assume meant that you could appreciate my point of view. Your completely-nonchalant and deliberately-flippant former comment undermines your latter comment, and claiming now that it's supposed to reference an altogether different virus is a convenient excuse that makes zero sense in the context and continuity of this thread.

And now you've wished me a blessed day, the most sanctimonious of all retorts excluding only "bless your heart." You can save both of them for somebody who doesn't see through you.

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Your former comment about Long COVID was in response to a lengthy post I wrote begging people to please stop being so nonchalant about the ongoing effects of COVID-19 and so flippant about the continuing necessity of a healthy dose of fear, which any reader would assume meant that you could appreciate my point of view. Your completely-nonchalant and deliberately-flippant former comment undermines your latter comment, and claiming now that it's supposed to reference an altogether different virus is a convenient excuse that makes zero sense in the context and continuity of this thread.

And now you've wished me a blessed day, the most sanctimonious of all retorts excluding only "bless your heart." You can save both of them for somebody who doesn't see through you.
Ok Sue, here is the non Sanctimonious wishing you a happy and healthy weekend. AL