• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Four Season - Aviara: What is the Lock-off worth?

shoji

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what a lock-off unit at Four Season's - Aviara would trade for? Let's say you got a Memioral Day unit for next year, what would you get in return?

Or, on the other hand, what would it take to get a Memorial Day lock-off unit, since those units are huge by themselves?

GregGH

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello Kshoji

You can search and see how often someone else has posted a sighting for a Aviara trade - although it is often for fall & winter periods - if you have an II trade elsewhere. Trades are nice - since these are upgrades from what you have.

The search feature here is your friend - lots of stuff on Aviara posted waiting for you to find it.

For rentals - try Tri-West or similar TS resellers as they all offer rentals. Tri West always seem to have a bunch

http://www.triwest-timeshare.com/resort/info/92009FO

Hope that was was on track with your question...

Greg

shoji

TUG Member
Reaction score
Greg:

Thanks for your help. I did a search and saw a lot of sightings, but I can't really tell what these people are offering in exchange for the studio unit.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I see under your name it says
Resorts: Prospective Four Seasons Aviara Owner

Are you asking - What is the trading power of a Four Seasons Aviara studio?

Last edited:

LLW

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are asking what would a studio unit rent for, there are these ads in the TUG Marketplace:

http://tug2.com/TimeshareMarketplac...roomsMin=&BathroomsMax=&SleepsMin=&SleepsMax= (Scroll down to see FSA).

Note these are asking prices, not studios; only one is Memorial week. A 1BR is much larger than a studio, with 2 baths instead of 1, and a full kitchen instead of limited kitchen. It varies with the individual, but I would pay double for a FSA 1BR what I would pay for a FSA studio (although I would probably never rent a FSA, because I can exchange into it). Season also makes a big difference. One way to ballpark the studio's rental value would be to subtract a 1BR rental price from a 2BR rental price, adjusting for season difference.

It's probably more advisable to buy FSA for personal use rather than for its commercial value.

shoji

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the rental information, but I was wondering if anyone had experience trading their studio unit and what it could trade for in an exchange.

GregGH

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the rental information, but I was wondering if anyone had experience trading their studio unit and what it could trade for in an exchange.

Hello

I am not the expert on this -- but I don't think I have ever heard that someone can trade a studio for a studio in Aviara - pretty sure it is a 1 bbd at least to get a studio - and then it is a 'better' quality unit. Maybe a Disney or an Intrawest unit. Anyone ever traded a studio and gotten into Aviara?

I mentioned earlier that many of the units are open in the slowest period - I can't think May is slow there ( but I haven't stayed they in May ) ... you are just a few weeks away from time going to Platinum ... just sounds busy.

Greg

ps - are you looking to buy or find the 'cheap' way to enjoy Aviara.

eal

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
some confusion here..

kshoji,
This is what I am guessing that you are asking:
"If I own a lock-off unit at Aviara, and want to use the 1-bedroom portion, what can I expect in the way of a trade if I deposit the studio portion".

Is that right?

chalucky

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello

I am not the expert on this -- but I don't think I have ever heard that someone can trade a studio for a studio in Aviara - pretty sure it is a 1 bbd at least to get a studio - and then it is a 'better' quality unit. Maybe a Disney or an Intrawest unit. Anyone ever traded a studio and gotten into Aviara?

Yes.....gonna be ther next April ......studio for studio......I used a Desert Springs I unit (BTW...I have traded in 6 times already.....2 x 2 BR 3 x 1 BR and now this studio trade).....love the place, hate the maintenance fees!

LLW

TUG Member
Reaction score
II is FSA's exclusive exchange company. With II, you can't put in a request for more than what you have. So if you want to do an ongoing search, you can only request a studio with a studio. But if you deposit it then search on line, you will likely see many larger units.

GregGH

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
......love the place, hate the maintenance fees!

Aw come on -- HATE FS MF's ???

I wasn't sure where "Desert Springs 1' was-- so I looked it up on the reviews on TUG ... hmmm ....Marriott's Desert Springs Villas rated above 9.00 -- so I read some of the user comments ....

For $1960 a week ( for a 2 bedroom (plus some property taxes = $2100 )) at Aviara you get CLEAN ... you get NEAT ... you get NEW .... how can you 'hate the maintenance fees -- you are paying for a 5 star experience ....

Here is what I copied from Marriott Desert Springs users comments ( got tired part way --there is lots more ...
==============================================
The exterior of the unit was dirty, doors were black with smudges and left over old papers were piled up. We had no kitchen towels or kitchen wash cloths or hot mits and no laundry soap. The bathrooms are old, with old, tired pink tile. We also had ant problems. The bedroom had layers of dust on the furniture and in the windows (dead bugs.)

Staff were helpful and friendly and if not for the maintenance, I would have rated it higher

The only negative about staying here is there is a bit of a bug problem in the units in the summer

However, the exterior around our building was poorly maintained the entire week. It was the week after the busy Thanksgiving holiday, but the empty paper cups in the bushes, spilled yogurt in the grass, beer bottles and soda cans on our outdoor patio were not something we had ever encountered at a Marriott. We picked up the bottles and cans, probably thrown from upstairs balcony, or over the wall from the pool, but the red plastic cups caught in the bushes in the front of our building stayed the entire week, even after the landscaping crew came through.

... they stored wet and smelly towels and other items in the entry and although I called the front desk several times to get these items picked up, they remained there the entire time I was there. I am giving the place a 7 for the grounds and the beds, but the overall experience would not encourage me to return or to buy there.

The 1 bedroom unit was spacious but not efficiently put together. The bed was comfortable but the furniture and kitchen appliances need updating. The bathroom was large, but there was caulking and tiles missing in places as well as fraying carpet.

DSV1 has the feel of a motel -- not a resort. The main pool is uninviting and the small pool near our unit (O 9671) was equally uninviting. It did not feel or look clean.

The coffee pot and toaster were cheap. The coffee pot leaked and the toaster had rust on it. The dish drainer was encrusted with dirt. Fortunately we do not cook when we vacation (other than toast and coffee) so the quality of the ktichen was not otherwise important. The dishwasher and washer dryer worked fine but were so noisy that we couldn't hear the phone ring.

The only problem I encountered was a slight musty smell in the unit, which was a bit stronger in the shower

NO FREE EXCHANGING OF LINENS OR TOWELS DURING THE WEEK, EXCEPT FOR A FEE
==============above copied from user reviews of Marriott ==== long live CHEAP maintenance fees =========

Sorry to vent ... but when you pay CHEAP -- you tend to get CHEAP.

Greg

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Yes, I was wondering the trading power of the studio unit.... :)

I would only suggest buying Four Seasons Aviara if you want to stay at Aviara on a regular basis. Don't buy it to trade.
If you can travel off season (any time the kids are in school) and your travel dates are flexible, you can buy a less expensive timeshare and trade into Four Seasons Aviara very easily. Just search the TUG Sightings board using the word "Aviara".

This is my first year depositing my Four Seasons Aviara Gold 2 bedroom villa into Interval International (II). Four Seasons owners don't receive an Accommodation Certificate (“AC”) for their deposits. Sorry, I don't know why.

I've posted what I saw online today using my deposited FS studio on the TUG sightings board - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3.
See all postings by alwysonvac dated today (9/1/08).

What I saw today with the FS studio is described below as an "instant" online exchange (see definition below). Also note that some of what I saw today would fall under flexchange (last 59 days before the check-in date where most of the size and quality filters are lifted). My FS studio was able to see Hyatt, Starwood, Disney and Marriott however as you will notice most of the exchanges availability is for off season weeks. If you want to travel during peak travel times then it's better to own where you want to go and buy into a mini-system where you have owner exchange preference. In general, don't count on peak weeks to be available for exchange.

If you are new to timesharing definitely read the TUG advice article titled "Timesharing 101 - A TUG Introduction to Timesharing" - see this link

Also read the Interval International FAQ sticky - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74057
It is important to note the following that is stated under this sticky.
What size unit can I get with an Exchange?
A.
• With an “Instant” online exchange, you can search for any size unit that your week will match with. So if your studio can find an instant exchange at a resort which show a 2 bd available, you can trade for that 2 bedroom.

• With an ““Ongoing Search" / "Pending Request" exchange, you can only search for a size unit which is the same as your unit size ( or less). EXECPT: If you are using a 1 bd unit and want a 2 bd unit, you can get a 2 bd unit by requesting an exchange into a resort which have only 2 bd units.

Good Luck with your decision and don't forget to buy resale. :hi:

shoji

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your help. I couldn't tell from looking at the FS Studio exchange if it was getting studio or 1 bd units. But, I appreciate all the post you made.

Sorry, I didn't reply earlier, but I've been busy at work the last several days.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Thanks for all your help. I couldn't tell from looking at the FS Studio exchange if it was getting studio or 1 bd units. But, I appreciate all the post you made.

Sorry, I didn't reply earlier, but I've been busy at work the last several days.

You're welcome. It pulled all sizes.

Here's the format for the sightings board
Normally there are three numbers :
The 1st number is the Number of bedrooms (nomally 0 means studio)
The 2nd number is the Private Sleeping capacity (defined as allowing two people per separate sleeping area with private access to bathroom)
The 3rd number is the maximum number of people permitted to occupy the unit

When I copy & paste the info from Interval International it repeats the same three number twice (see examples below)
Aug 22 2008 - Aug 29 2008 1 4 4 144
Aug 22 2008 - Aug 29 2008 2 6 8 268
Aug 29 2008 - Sep 05 2008 0 2 4 024
Nov 07 2008 - Nov 14 2008 3 6 8 368
Nov 08 2008 - Nov 15 2008 2 6 6 266
Nov 16 2008 - Nov 23 2008 3 8 10 3810

Additional Notes:
Four Seasons has a high quality filter in Interval International(II).
II will only display resorts that have either the silver circle with a pineapple which represents the Select resorts and the gold circle with the laurel leaves which represents the Premier resorts.
Here's a link to the II resort directory - http://www.intervalworld.com/web/cs?a=1500

There is no banking or borrowing at Four Seasons. You have to use Interval International (II) if you want to bank your week. Just like Starwood and Marriott, Four Seasons has an internal trading preference period in II however I don't know how many days Four Seasons owners have before the units are release to the general public.

shoji

TUG Member
Reaction score
Puchased EOY GOLD SEASON

Thanks everyone for the help.

I have now purchased an EOY - ODD Gold Season on the resale market. I got a call last Friday from owners' services. They are approving the purchase and were generally very pleseant to deal with. They asked what I wanted to do with the unit and they confirmed Memorial Day was already booked.

I will likely lock-off the the studio and see if they will book it for next year, or I will deposit it into II. Ineterestingly, they told me if I was doing a search to trade back into Aviara, that I should call them after placing the order with II and they will give owners priority.

Sir Newf

TUG Member
Reaction score
congrats. We purchased the same..

shoji

TUG Member
Reaction score
congrats. We purchased the same..

Thanks! I can't wait.... I love San Diego. I lived there for 7 years before I was relocated to the Inland Empire. With a 16 month old son and hopefully more children in the future, I figured this would be the best location to to vacation at every other year, and if I get lucky, every year.

Perhaps, we will see all of you there sometime.

GregGH

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the help.

I have now purchased an EOY - ODD Gold Season on the resale market. I got a call last Friday from owners' services. They are approving the purchase and were generally very pleseant to deal with. They asked what I wanted to do with the unit and they confirmed Memorial Day was already booked.

I will likely lock-off the the studio and see if they will book it for next year, or I will deposit it into II. Ineterestingly, they told me if I was doing a search to trade back into Aviara, that I should call them after placing the order with II and they will give owners priority.

Hi

congratulations ..... we really enjoy our time there and sure you will too.

On the studio - don't think you can move it to another year ( if I understand you point above ) but you have some other options not yet mentioned -- pay a fee and if space available can move time to a platinum period -or you can split to 3 days and another 4 days ( so grab that Cruise out of So Cal and stay before and afterwards as an example )

The 'year' you don't have it will seem like a longer year than normal :)

Greg

chalucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Aw come on -- HATE FS MF's ???

I wasn't sure where "Desert Springs 1' was-- so I looked it up on the reviews on TUG ... hmmm ....Marriott's Desert Springs Villas rated above 9.00 -- so I read some of the user comments ....

For $1960 a week ( for a 2 bedroom (plus some property taxes = $2100 )) at Aviara you get CLEAN ... you get NEAT ... you get NEW .... how can you 'hate the maintenance fees -- you are paying for a 5 star experience

Greg

Revisiting this thread after a few days, I saw my comments must have been misunderstood...I hate the MF's at Aviara since I have successfully traded in to FSA 6 times without have to pony up $$$ that owners do. Some may feel 2200 is fair, some may think it exhorbitant, but it seems to me, not having to pay them at all is the holy grail. As far as thrashing Marriotts Desert Springs I....I really do not understand the line of logic here...it is a nice resort currently being upgraded with no pretensions of being a Four Seasons...I could possibly add more detail, but frankly I have NEVER stayed there since I have used this resale ownership for trading only.

So Yes, I love FSA, but hate the MF's....moreover, the lack of other Four Seasons Resorts available as internal trades (with the exception of Scottsdale) makes buying here resale a very unattractive option for me.

Charles

chalucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oops....make that trading in seven times instead of six....here is what I just got (Holiday Week no less) :

Exchange

Marriott's Ko Olina • MKO
Unit: IVGT (Efficiency)
Week: 46
Sun, November 18, 2007
Sun, November 25, 2007

Confirmed

Confirmed To:
Four Seasons Residence Club Aviara • FSA
Unit: UUU1 (1 bedroom)
Week: 3 Fri, January 16, 2009
Fri, January 23, 2009