• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cynic

Reaction score
This doesn't really make any sense to me in terms of what I've learned/experienced about RCI exchanges into Disney (using my Wyndham points). I thought Disney centrally decided what to deposit to RCI, not individual owners choosing particular units. And in recent years, it's clear DVC has decided to deposit almost exclusively 1 bedrooms, and the vast majority at SSR.

All apologies. You're right. Most points resorts do bulk-bank. The few owners who can get around that are likely insiders, or grandfathered from the good old days, which is not even applicable to Disney. Scratch much of what I said re: DIsney, except the higher value of Disney vs other points-based clubs, which is evidenced in both weeks and resale market. If I can't exercise any control of what is spacebanked I'm basically playing Russian Roulette, which is why I'm no fan of either full floats or points.

I can clearly see I'm going to need to refrain from speculation or general information when people have very specific questions. Thanks.

Cynic

Reaction score
Also are you saying a 50 tpu (trading power units) whether from a combined deposit is not the same as 50 tpu from Orlando or from Hershey. Once they are points int the tpu system, matching should be based on the date of the OGS as long as you have enough trading power units for the desired exchange.

I'm saying something much simpler: there is one Hershey and a bajillion Orlandos. Therefore, a hotel room in Hershey is worth... a lot more space in a more common area like Orlando. All exchange systems are susceptible to all sorts of complex manipulation from confidential resort agreements that render the theory quite different from the reality. That's why I would only buy a deeded week. I can't generally rent "points" out for 1-2x MF. I can easily buy a "used" deed and do it all day, however, and such units can also be traded for stuff most points owners can't access. Your example of 50, 50, or 50 ignores resort contracts. 50 can be 100 per a clause, depending on where and where.

Cynic

Reaction score

Question #1
What’s the deal with exchanges into Disney Vacation Club (DVC)? Years ago it was easy to get a two or three bedroom DVC Orlando resort via an RCI exchange. I would get multiple DVC exchange matches using my WorldMark and HGVC timeshares. Now you’re lucky if you’re able to exchange into a one bedroom at a DVC Orlando resort. The TUG community has noticed the dramatic change in exchange availability but we don't know why. Do you?

I don't know specifically, but I know in the aftermarket Disney has actual value today, vs most other McFivestar points are worth almost nothing. Draw your own conclusions from that. What I previously said was general BSING the owner type stuff, which we were trained to do from day one. Sorry.

Question #2
We’ve noticed that Wyndham owners have access to more DVC inventory than the general RCI public. For example, Wyndham owners were the only ones getting confirmed exchanges into Disney’s Aulani resorts. There were other TUG members such as mysellf that had very old ongoing search requests using our WorldMark and HGVC timeshares however our searches were not getting matches. I was specifically told that there is an existing private agreement between Wyndham and Disney that allows Disney to give inventory directly to Wyndham Vacation owners. This inventory is separate and not part of RCI’s Deposit Inventory. Wyndham’s RCI members are having their ongoing search requests fulfilled through this exclusive pool of Disney inventory. How common are these RCI Private Exchange agreements? How much of the Disney exchange inventory is going to these separate agreements?

Wyndham = RCI. I recall some crap of a similar nature with Fairfield long ago. Don't you love corporate America?

Question #3
On the flip side as a Disney timeshare owner, I see online RCI exchange inventory that my other timeshare resorts (HGVC and WorldMark) don’t see. It’s more than just online Wyndham inventory. I've logged into RCI using via my DVC timeshare and compared it to what I see when I log into RCI using my HGVC timeshare. RCI is displaying more desireable online RCI resorts & weeks to Disney owners than to HGVC and WorldMark owners. Does the online RCI inventory that is shown to DVC owners ever become available to the RCI general public? For example, if I see online inventory that is displayed to DVC owners only and I setup an ongoing search using my HGVC or WorldMark timeshare would RCI satisfy my ongoing search request. Or is the online inventory shown to DVC owners, only available to DVC members.
Thanks Again
See above about the secondary market, which represents RW value. And you're welcome.

Cynic

Reaction score
Also, if I offended anyone with "McFivestar" I apologize. I just realized it makes them sound cheap, which was not intentional. I was referring to the chains of high quality newer resorts purchased as vacation club points. Retail prices of ALL timeshares are unreasonable.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I'm saying something much simpler: there is one Hershey and a bajillion Orlandos. Therefore, a hotel room in Hershey is worth... a lot more space in a more common area like Orlando. All exchange systems are susceptible to all sorts of complex manipulation from confidential resort agreements that render the theory quite different from the reality. That's why I would only buy a deeded week. I can't generally rent "points" out for 1-2x MF. I can easily buy a "used" deed and do it all day, however, and such units can also be traded for stuff most points owners can't access. Your example of 50, 50, or 50 ignores resort contracts. 50 can be 100 per a clause, depending on where and where.
What specifically did you do for RCI? I don't know what "50 can be 100 per a clause, depending on where and where" means.

RCI awards tpu's that range between 1-60. RCI's evaluations don't always make sense. I own a summer week at Hershey by the way and I don't deposit it because RCI's evaluation is low IMO. If I were to deposit a week 26 2 BR 2019 Hershey deposit now I would get 38 tpu's. If I deposit a 2 BR Summer Bay (in Orlando) week 52 for 2018, I am awarded 39 tpu's. Are you saying that if I started an ongoing search for the same hard to get resort the 38 point Hershey summer week would match before the 39 tpu Orlando week, even if Orlando search was started first? What if I had a 120 point combined credit from various resorts and was looking for something that normally goes for 50 points, would my 38 point Hershey week match at all as the points requirement for what I am looking at is higher than I have with that deposit?

Yes I agree if an agent was helping their friend Tina or Jane they might be able to manipulate the system to match but if a regular ongoing search is in place would the system look at where the tpu's come from or are they just programmed to match by date and minimum trading power reached.

Cynic

Reaction score
RE : New website - you may wish to do a YouTube lesson on how to use the map section
for both street view and full screen Google map view .
It is a little convoluted - BUT is one of the (few)TRUE UPGRADES and I find it much more useful than the map function on the prior ( 2016 & earlier ) website .

Do you have any insight into the reason for 10 resorts per page / when the prior website allowed 25 per page ?

Thank You -
Thanks. I personally miss the old internal DOS system. PF17 to over-ride, etc. Internally, we always had something much more complicated with many more tricks. By the time we could even see what members saw online I was heading behind the frontlines. And now I'm showing my age:))

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I dont think you will offend TUG members, we know retail is way overpriced, but some of us like McFivestar resorts as you call them.

How high do you think RCI can take its fees? I have given up exchanging with RCI due to fees, will only do cash rental of last calls. I prefer to trade points within my McFivestar system.

I got rid of my last RCI enrolled contract, but membership is still active, do you think they will notice if I keep my account open but never deposit? I’ve done the same thing with Interval and they keep giving me accomodation certificates for cheap last call type weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Cynic

Reaction score
What specifically did you do for RCI? I don't know what "50 can be 100 per a clause, depending on where and where" means.

RCI awards tpu's that range between 1-60. RCI's evaluations don't always make sense. I own a summer week at Hershey by the way and I don't deposit it because RCI's evaluation is low IMO. If I were to deposit a week 26 2 BR 2019 Hershey deposit now I would get 38 tpu's. If I deposit a 2 BR Summer Bay (in Orlando) week 52 for 2018, I am awarded 39 tpu's. Are you saying that if I started an ongoing search for the same hard to get resort the 38 point Hershey summer week would match before the 39 tpu Orlando week, even if Orlando search was started first? What if I had a 120 point combined credit from various resorts and was looking for something that normally goes for 50 points, would my 38 point Hershey week match at all as the points requirement for what I am looking at is higher than I have with that deposit?

Yes I agree if an agent was helping their friend Tina or Jane they might be able to manipulate the system to match but if a regular ongoing search is in place would the system look at where the tpu's come from or are they just programmed to match by date and minimum trading power reached.

Now we're getting somewhere. There are 3 tiers of upgrades. 100 is not official, nor is pink an official color. But there is an override system, and certain data-mods can apply. T1 (+10), t2 (+20), or a TU(+ nth) upgrades can be automatic and hidden depending on what is seeking what. A clause in the RCI contract with a specific resort can basically make your 38 a 58, or even above 60, in other words, depending on where it's attempting to trade into. Naturally you don't see that.

I started as an inbound vacation guide in weeks. Over time you can be trained in additional skillsets. I learned outbound, advising, and a bit of Worldmark, for instance. I ended up on the bridge before they canned me.

I don't see anything shocking that the Summer Bay property is worth what it is for that specific week. The Hershey for week 26 if spacebanked now would be losing a lot more TP than the Summer Bay solely per almost 1 year vs 6 months advance spacebank. To max the 26 you'd have to have deposited it last July. Do they allow you to pay your MF early? It should be much closer to 60 if spacebanked 12 months in advance. I hope that helps.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I was comparing a 2019 hershey (full value) with a 2018 summer bay (full value).
If there was an agreement to give owners at certain resorts more trading power- why wouldn't they just give them those points on deposit rather than have a known value of x with a hidden value of x+10. I would imagine that the deal is with the developer who is still in active sales and either for an agreement to deposit Y number of extra units per year (in the hundreds or even lower thousands) that RCI can use for extra vacations, last calls and extra exchnages. In return RCI will give deposits at those resorts more power and more power that owners at those resorts can see. That is why Vacation Villages and Massanutten often get higher tpu's than you would expect for a resort with 1000's of available units system wide. Are you saying that at the smaller resorts that don't have deals but are highly valued the trading power is actually higher than indicated by the tpu's. This also would make no sense because if I look and I see a low tpu, I won't deposit. On the other hand if I knew it was higher I would.

Why would RCI and the resort want to hide the trading value of a resort. I know the resort sales want to say they have the highest trading value. If they really do have a deal to make it higher wouldn't they want to be able to show owners that it is true- rather than the- "as an owner, you can't see the real trading power, but trust me there is a secret deal that makes us trade higher than what you see." As it is all sales people at all resorts can say this because there isn't any proof that it is the case and no incentive for resorts to really have a deal with RCI, they can just say it and it not be true.

The deals you talk of are often at resorts in active sales -those are the only ones that can pay for the deals in either $ or extra deposits and many of those are in points systems these days, so that actually goes against the advice to own the high season, at resorts with much more demand than supply.

RCI isn't making deals with small no name resorts that can't pay or really can't influence or bulk deposit which weeks are deposited. Large developers that can make thousands of deposits a years - 1000-5000 X's $239 exchange fee or $199 sale on extra vacations. An owner at a small ocean front resort in the mid atlantic with less than 20 units isn't going to get the some kind of secret trading boost just because there are 900 requests for the 25 summer units that are deposited. If RCI wants those deposits they would have to offer tpu's that matched supply vs demand. They don't.

Cynic

Reaction score
I dont think you will offend TUG members, we know retail is way overpriced, but some of us like McFivestar resorts as you call them.

How high do you think RCI can take its fees? I have given up exchanging with RCI due to fees, will only do cash rental of last calls. I prefer to trade points within my McFivestar system.

I got rid of my last RCI enrolled contract, but membership is still active, do you think they will notice if I keep my account open but never deposit? I’ve done the same thing with Interval and they keep giving me accomodation certificates for cheap last call type weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The sky is the limit on fees. Although greed can shock me, theirs can't. Not after what I've seen.

Doubtful they will care. You may get an occasional call, but you're not obligated to deposit. Or are you now? In the good old days anyone could buy a membership and get bonus time. I remember accounts starting with however many 0s (non-owner, no VEP. Certain people had multiple accounts just to get around VEP limits as well). I know the non-owner part has changed, but they probably have people GF'd in still.

Fees are a big part of my personal beef with clubs, as well as their ability to change the value or usability of anything I might purchase at a whim. It's like there is a fee to create an account, one to xfer the points to it, one to belong to the club, and MF to boot. Then guest certificates, incidentals, RCI/II if I want more swapping options. Coming fees, going fees, and fees for paying fees... LOL. If I just get a simple old good fixed week I know I can use or rent I'm way ahead.

Does anyone have any idea how many Wyndham points it might take to get something like Cantebury SF? I'm just curious.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Hello Cynic!
I have two questions about RCI
Why do they split Holiday Inn Club points in half?
Also, what is the purpose of making you wait until two weeks before your exchange date to see if you qualify for an upgraded or better resort ? RCI hold a $49 dollar fee until the last minute.
Thank you!
Silentg

Cynic

Reaction score
@tschwa2 Wow. Just wow. I'm way beyond shocked. Some things have obviously changed. I'm so glad I did this before starting to YouTube.

I never had the impression RCI was after the savvy owners, but the example of a place people were virtually always begging for vs something that was seldom anyone's first choice, even for XMas.... I'm floored. I'm not sure I should speculate on why there are so many hidden things. I know no two resorts are told the same thing by RCI... there are so many contractual differences it's impossible to remember them all. Some places can search first, for instance. Most can't. Some contracts prevent searching for larger units than owned even though they will pull them all day long (resort wants to upsell). Other contracts specifically state the smaller units at XYZ oceanfront resorts can trade for much larger units elsewhere.

I remember the internal jokes about Vacation Village during their points conversion (once again revealing my age). Basically it was along the lines of someone at RCI must have gotten a sexual favor.

The Hershey example would likely have a TP+ unlimited datamod if searching for Bluegreen space in RCI, for instance. Bluegreen should tell you that, while RCI certainly would not be telling all members trying to trade for Bluegreen space that, but you'd know more than me what Bluegreen has to say.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
@tschwa2 Wow. Just wow. I'm way beyond shocked. Some things have obviously changed. I'm so glad I did this before starting to YouTube.

I never had the impression RCI was after the savvy owners, but the example of a place people were virtually always begging for vs something that was seldom anyone's first choice, even for XMas.... I'm floored. I'm not sure I should speculate on why there are so many hidden things. I know no two resorts are told the same thing by RCI... there are so many contractual differences it's impossible to remember them all. Some places can search first, for instance. Most can't. Some contracts prevent searching for larger units than owned even though they will pull them all day long (resort wants to upsell). Other contracts specifically state the smaller units at XYZ oceanfront resorts can trade for much larger units elsewhere.

I remember the internal jokes about Vacation Village during their points conversion (once again revealing my age). Basically it was along the lines of someone at RCI must have gotten a sexual favor.

The Hershey example would likely have a TP+ unlimited datamod if searching for Bluegreen space in RCI, for instance. Bluegreen should tell you that, while RCI certainly would not be telling all members trying to trade for Bluegreen space that, but you'd know more than me what Bluegreen has to say.
You didn’t answer my question about RCI and Holiday Inn points? What do you mean by savvy owners? Also I don’t belong to Bluegreen so don’t know what you mean? And the Vacation Village comment was in appropriate. Are you really here to offer advice or to lurk and smirk?
Silentg

Cynic

Reaction score
Hello Cynic!
I have two questions about RCI
Why do they split Holiday Inn Club points in half?
Also, what is the purpose of making you wait until two weeks before your exchange date to see if you qualify for an upgraded or better resort ? RCI hold a $49 dollar fee until the last minute.
Thank you!
Silentg
I have no clue about Holiday Inn points. Anything you can get under 14 days is basically first come first served as far as RCI is concerned. In other words, before that people with more TP may be entitled. Under 14 days was our realistic RCI employee vacation window as well, and also when OGS would stop grabbing things. Charging people an extra fee for an upgrade sounds like the typical corporate revenue-sucking that's always been their MO. I'd have gladly given it to you for free if I liked you and you were getting me production...in my day doing that may have entailed reconfirming things around. No clue how that's handled now. I'd confirm/reconfirm bonus dummy weeks against really nice stuff all the time last minute.

Cynic

Reaction score
@silentg see above. What you quoted was for tshwa2 .

WatsonC2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana Villages, Wyndham Grand Desert
Hello everyone,

I'm a veteran RCI employee, no longer with the company. I'm willing to answer any and all questions you may have about exchanging your timeshare.

Much of how the system works is simply not disclosed to consumers, and I'd like to be instrumental in changing that.

I'm going to start a YouTube channel on this topic, and your questions will help me focus on issues most relevant to you.

I never signed a non-disclosure agreement with RCI, and own no stock in any timeshare developer or exchange.

My one and only goal is giving you the most accurate, helpful, and honest information possible.

Ask away, and you will be answered.

EDIT TO ADD: I know most about weeks, and my explanations of value and trading power are likely to be based on RW value, reflected in weeksexchanges and aftermarket purchases. A 90k timeshare may sell for 1k or less aftermarket. It's the nature of the beast.

We use our Wyndham Deeded Week and trade through RCI pretty regularly. We end up with Points in RCI that we use to select our vacation. Our friends bought RCI points but I noticed the amount of RCI points they need differs for the same exact vacation than mine. For instance, mine might require 77,000 points and theirs might be 37,000 points (i cant recall exactly but the difference was significant). Clearly they have a different point chart for RCI points than for Wyndham points exchanged into RCI. Can you confirm my understanding?

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
You didn’t answer my question about RCI and Holiday Inn points? What do you mean by savvy owners? Also I don’t belong to Bluegreen so don’t know what you mean? And the Vacation Village comment was in appropriate. Are you really here to offer advice or to lurk and smirk?
Silentg
I am with you. Nothing makes sense...it’s lurk ands smirk.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
Clearly they have a different point chart for RCI points than for Wyndham points exchanged into RCI. Can you confirm my understanding?

Most Wyndham points owners who regularly exchange into RCI (or owners in most mini-systems, I suspect) can confirm that understanding - yes, Wyndham points deposited into RCI are a completely different currency than RCI Points.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
We use our Wyndham Deeded Week and trade through RCI pretty regularly. We end up with Points in RCI that we use to select our vacation. Our friends bought RCI points but I noticed the amount of RCI points they need differs for the same exact vacation than mine. For instance, mine might require 77,000 points and theirs might be 37,000 points (i cant recall exactly but the difference was significant). Clearly they have a different point chart for RCI points than for Wyndham points exchanged into RCI. Can you confirm my understanding?

The chart on the Wyndham website shows how many points are needed to deposit for the size of the unit and the red, white or blue week equivalent. I don't believe there is a specific correlation to how many points RCI lists stays for and how many Wyndham points you have to deposit into RCI.

I can remember back before the new Wyndham deposit to RCI point chart came out a few years ago that we used to deposit 28,000 points to get the smallest, lowest season weeks and we got some great deals. Sometimes we even got the red weeks and as a Wyndham VIP owner we got a free upgrade on the unit size too.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I am with you. Nothing makes sense...it’s lurk ands smirk.

I am intrigued by the idea of inside information on the system, but am starting to agree with you. I did notice a post by OP on another thread regarding ongoing searches being an ancient glitch that someone had discovered and posted on TUG; that thread added value to the conversation, identifying it as an ancient glitch didn’t. Actually pointing out those system quirks would be beneficial, but I’d stay away from disparaging other users observations as a rule....

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
I'm sure there were many internal jokes about the sweetheart deal Vacation Village got when they converted to points. There have been many comments/posts on the subject of why Vacation Village resorts get the large number of points they do, that it doesn't make sense but is an excellent reason for owning at one of their resorts.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
There was a posting I read a few months ago that said second hand that there had been a large cash payment from VV to RCI to support that. I believe that might have been the case, but the bulk deposit benefit might contribute as well. Owning at Massanutten, I’m just happy getting the points; makes for a lot of extra potential travel weeks for me.:)

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I am intrigued by the idea of inside information on the system, but am starting to agree with you. I did notice a post by OP on another thread regarding ongoing searches being an ancient glitch that someone had discovered and posted on TUG; that thread added value to the conversation, identifying it as an ancient glitch didn’t. Actually pointing out those system quirks would be beneficial, but I’d stay away from disparaging other users observations as a rule....
If op is trying to help....it hasn’t helped as information seems outdated and confusing. Or is it just me that isn’t following?

Cynic

Reaction score
I'm not certain this is helping anyone. I'm not wishing to cause drama.

I also don't find it completely fair to accuse me of something based on reading comments obviously intended for someone else, whose name is at the beginning of the comments.

The amount of points Vacation Villages owners get is indeed a reason to buy there, and the issue of resort contracts is relevant to the subject.

I'm not amused by RCI's business practices. Never was. That doesn't make them a bad or worthless exchange service however. Many people utilize their service all the time. If you don't find my information helpful you certainly don't have to read it.

Last edited:

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
I am with you. Nothing makes sense...

I would say it more that he is using internal RCI jargon that only has meaning within RCI and to us on the outside makes no sense.