• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Forbes Article on Timeshares

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I was extremely disappointed in the section on resales...it certainly reads as if they (resales) are a poor choice for anyone.

at least the article mentions TUG as a place to go to get help, so kudos there.

sherakay

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs
I was extremely disappointed in the section on resales...it certainly reads as if they (resales) are a poor choice for anyone.

at least the article mentions TUG as a place to go to get help, so kudos there.

From the article:

There are drawbacks to buying secondhand, however.

Examples include not being able to convert the timeshare into other options, such as hotel points or cruises. This is never a good use of a timeshare.

Buying a secondhand timeshare also comes with the risk that the current owner is behind on maintenance fees and/or owes a special assessment. You need to know if you’ll have to pay these fees as the new owner before making such a purchase. That's what an estoppel is for.

So before you tour a timeshare, do your research—a lot of it. Get a good idea of how much it would cost to vacation in your desired places and research the property you’re about to tour online. The Timeshare Crusader, Timeshare Users Group, Redweek and even Facebook groups whose users all own timeshare from the same developer, are consumer-friendly sources worth consulting. Awesome plug! Bottom line, a timeshare is not an investment. But we all know this. Neither is a tv or vehicle but we all want those things too! If you do your research and buy one where the MF are lower than the retail or rental cost and buy one that you'll use every year it's an awesome product to own.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I think the article somewhat confuses being retail vs resale and mixes oranges and apples. If I did not understand timeshares, I would be confused as to what applies to retail vs resale.

They do not mention what I think is one of the biggest advantages of timeshares, which is that name-brand timeshares are usually higher quality than things like Airbnb. It’s more like staying in a condo that is managed by Marriott, Westin or another name-brand company. The article does not mention that modern timeshares tend to be managed by hotel brands and offer the amenities of hotels/resorts with the space of a condo.

They did not mention that the price per night can be half of the cost of a hotel room after upfront fees.

I do not think it’s true that timeshare points depreciate over time. They are confusing this with hotel points.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
They did not mention that the price per night can be half of the cost of a hotel room after upfront fees.

I agree with all of what you posted except that statement. It totally depends on what the “upfront fees” were and how many years you amortize them. It can be of almost zero effect or a major cost. If you paid $1, no big deal. If you paid several thousands, you may never break even.

Cheers

Beach57

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Paradisus Palma Real and Club Solaris Los Cabos
Yes, disappointed on the resale paragraph. That’s where so many of us have made out, saving thousands on our vacations. Essentially, you have to be organized and savvy to be a successful timeshare owner/user, and unfortunately, there are leagues of people who can’t manage this.