• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

For the purposes of FAFSA, How do I determine the net worth of my timeshares?

skimble

TUG Member
Reaction score
How do I determine an agreeable net worth for my timeshares? I need to claim this for FAFSA for my son to qualify for financial aid for college.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You would list the fair market value, which looking at your timeshares is probably very little.

If it were me, I would probably not list them, because listing multiple timeshares at $1 each may just create questions.

skimble

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's just it... I would list them as having $1 value, but there is no place to itemize. It's just a open-ended question about net-worth.
So, I included them all as having zero value.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
That's just it... I would list them as having $1 value, but there is no place to itemize. It's just a open-ended question about net-worth.
So, I included them all as having zero value.

even CBI?

I think all together they're worth at least $5k.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Hmmm, I don't remember ever including the timeshares when I did the FAFSA for either of my daughters.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
You're supposed to value your assets
https://fafsa.ed.gov/help/assetnetworth.htm

For most government purposes, timeshares are assets. We at TUG tend to value them differently, more like we value gym memberships, but on paper they are usually technically assets.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Luanne - The fair market value is what you could actually sell your timeshares for on the resale market, not the developer price, so I think you did it correctly.

Sometimes timeshare owners just "feel" that their timeshare is worth more than what it's selling for on ebay or the TUG Bargain Deals forum. But to value your timeshare at a higher price, just so you can feel good about it, really doesn't make financial sense. Especially on a FASFA application where you certainly don't want to exaggerate your net worth.

Last edited:

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
FAFSA what a PITA! Good luck. Sorry to be a downer. But it is so futile to apply for Financial Aid for college these days. But it is one of those necessary evils in life.

Death, Taxes, FAFSA

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
FAFSA what a PITA! Good luck. Sorry to be a downer. But it is so futile to apply for Financial Aid for college these days. But it is one of those necessary evils in life.

Death, Taxes, FAFSA

While my daughters didn't get financial aid they did need the FAFSA for student loans.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
or more because of the unit and time of year....
But... I could go to Ebay and purchase week 41 for $1.

I don't think the government looks at that way.
They will always value the timeshare however they can get more money (taxes) or how they will give less money (welfare etc).

And honestly, Carlsbad Inn units are truly worth a couple grand regardless of the season. Will they sell quickly? If it's not Summer then probably not. Are your other ownerships worth very much? Probably not, even if they're Summer units you might have to offer incentives to sell them. But overall you would very likely be able to get rid of them and end up with a bit of cash.

But are they going to question you on this over a FASFA application? Unlikely.

skimble

TUG Member
Reaction score
You're supposed to value your assets
https://fafsa.ed.gov/help/assetnetworth.htm

For most government purposes, timeshares are assets. We at TUG tend to value them differently, more like we value gym memberships, but on paper they are usually technically assets.

OK... I know this is out of the realm of the timeshare talk a bit....
but this link (very helpful) says I need to include real estate, cash, investments, etc as assets. We do not need to include our retirement and our home.
We got an inheritance last year which included a condo, being lived in by a family member who is simply paying the mortgage until he gets back on his feet. This condo is a big part of our retirement plan. Is FAFSA going to look at this $150k asset and count it against my son's eligibility?

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
OK... I know this is out of the realm of the timeshare talk a bit....
but this link (very helpful) says I need to include real estate, cash, investments, etc as assets. We do not need to include our retirement and our home.
We got an inheritance last year which included a condo, being lived in by a family member who is simply paying the mortgage until he gets back on his feet. This condo is a big part of our retirement plan. Is FAFSA going to look at this $150k asset and count it against my son's eligibility?

Second homes absolutely DO count as an asset. Whether you consider it retirement or not is immaterial. Market value less debt less selling expenses.

http://www.thecollegesolution.com/8-financial-aid-mistakes-to-avoid/

Finally, I'm a bit curious: When you pass a certain limit, the FAFSA values for financial aid have little effect on further eligibility unless you have a lot of kids in school or other special circumstances. Have you run any of the calculators to see your position? Just change the numbers in the boxes and see if it makes a difference. I did. No movement at all. Everybody's situation is different of course.

Know this: Universities do not have the same rules/considerations that FAFSA has. For the purpose of financial aid (and any other benefits) the rules can be very different (and usually are). I would spend more effort on finding good loans (if that's your goal) outside of FAFSA via student aid at the university etc...

Frankly, if you have a second home, timeshares, live in Cali etc... you're probably a hair above the marginal threshold. Of course, I know nothing about your circumstances.
Good luck

Last edited:

skimble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Second homes absolutely DO count as an asset. Whether you consider it retirement or not is immaterial. Market value less debt less selling expenses.

http://www.thecollegesolution.com/8-financial-aid-mistakes-to-avoid/

Finally, I'm a bit curious: When you pass a certain limit, the FAFSA values for financial aid have little effect on further eligibility unless you have a lot of kids in school or other special circumstances. Have you run any of the calculators to see your position? Just change the numbers in the boxes and see if it makes a difference. I did. No movement at all. Everybody's situation is different of course.

Know this: Universities do not have the same rules/considerations that FAFSA has. For the purpose of financial aid (and any other benefits) the rules can be very different (and usually are). I would spend more effort on finding good loans (if that's your goal) outside of FAFSA via student aid at the university etc...

Frankly, if you have a second home, timeshares, live in Cali etc... you're probably a hair above the marginal threshold. Of course, I know nothing about your circumstances.
Good luck

I do not make a lot of money... I'm a teacher, sole income earner for my household. I've managed money fairly well-- much like the timeshare game.

This is snarky and sarcastic, but I guess this comment from the article sums up my feelings right now:

Grizzy Feb 7, 2015
"The most important thing to remember is the more debt you have the greater the financial aid you will get. Buy the biggest home you can afford with the highest outstanding mortgage. Do not invest in 529 plans. Do not invest in stocks or other investments. Go on vacation to Europe, lease all your cars and stay in debt. College will be paid in full by the government. Those that are responsible and pay off their mortgages, cars and invest in their children's future will pay for your kid. That is the reality of FASFA!"

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I do not make a lot of money... I'm a teacher, sole income earner for my household. I've managed money fairly well-- much like the timeshare game.

Ok. First: I'm not judging. I have a lot of friends who earn a LOT of money (but have HUGE bills!) who were very surprised to learn just how high their expected annual contributions were. If you're a hard working teacher earning meager teacher’s salary (I think teachers are underpaid) and supporting a family, I salute you.

If you earn under $50k a year, you have a substantial chance of earning Federal and Private (College) assistance. If you earn under $100k a year, odds are you'll receive Private assistance and may qualify for some grants or reduced loans. If you earn over $100k a year, it's unlikely you'll receive Federal assistance (except in special circumstances). Depending on your child's academic standing and other factors, you'll likely receive some Private assistance. But: I have a friend who earns well over $100k. His daughter received almost 50% of her tuition in grants (or similar wording) based on the school's desire to recruit students matching her profile.

To comment on your sarcasm above: take a low-interest loan on your 'investment' property for your student. Lower than student loan rates and possibly tax deductible.

Here's a great summary of current student loan amounts and limits.
https://www.scholarships.com/financial-aid/student-loans/stafford-loans/

Subsidized Loan Limits: Loan limits on the Subsidized Federal Stafford Loan are the same for dependent and independent students.

Undergraduate Grade Level Subsidized Stafford Loan Annual Loan Limits
Freshman $3,500
Sophomore $4,500
Junior, Senior and Beyond $5,500
Cumulative Limit $23,000

As this table illustrates, more than a third of subsidized Federal Stafford loans to undergraduate students in 2011-2012 were made to students with family adjusted gross income (AGI) less than $50,000 and about a fifth to students with AGI between $50,000 and $100,000.

Distribution of Loans by AGI
Family Adjusted Gross Income (AGI)
Loan Program < $50,000 $50,000 to $100,000 $100,000 or more
Subsidized Stafford 71.7% 21.2% 7.2%
Unsubsidized Stafford 63.5% 22.3% 14.2%

- See more at: https://www.edvisors.com/ask/faq/government-student-loans/#sthash.adVrNK5i.dpuf

Finally, we're really only talking about $23k in subsidized loans. Unsubs are just 1% (approx) higher. It's really the financial aid package from the university that can matter. My daughter got $4k a year. That really helps
Call your timeshares a $1000 bucks a piece. 5% of that will be added to your expected contribution. That's peanuts.
The real estate 'investment' is going to set you back though. No way around that one. But, its net value (20% less than market?) minus selling expenses and debts, so you can reduce the number considerably.

cheers.

Last edited:

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
You may want to see if your union has grants or loan programs

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
Value the TS as nothing. I highly doubt you would be questioned on that. As for all this other fafsa discussion. .. unless they are getting a degree in an employable field (trade of some type such as accounting, dr, plumber electrician ).. getting loans is a bad idea. . (Just the opinion of someone who has seen one too many marketing major earning 30 to 40k per year with over 50k in loans).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Value the TS as nothing. I highly doubt you would be questioned on that. As for all this other fafsa discussion. .. unless they are getting a degree in an employable field (trade of some type such as accounting, dr, plumber electrician ).. getting loans is a bad idea. . (Just the opinion of someone who has seen one too many marketing major earning 30 to 40k per year with over 50k in loans).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

That's easy to say. But do you have any other viable ways of financing a college education?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That's easy to say. But do you have any other viable ways of financing a college education?

My kids went to community college, and then our local state college. No loans required. I realize that isn't as prestigious as going to a nationally known college, but in many careers, going to an expensive college does not help you get a job, or a high salary.

My cousin's daughter was accepted to Yale, and even though is was not within their means, they really wanted her to go, so they took out massive loans. Now she is a kindergarten teacher, with massive loans to pay off.

Last edited: