• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

FOR SUNSET HARBOR OWNERS - BOD ELECTION

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
I always thought BOD members must also be owners.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
AJCts411,

The legal ramifications of gaining access to that list wouldn't be something we would want to be embroiled in. While it seems harmless enough to gain access to it, it could (and almost certainly would) cause problems for everyone involved. All it would take is one owner to ask how someone got their email address and if they were upset enough and were so inclined, they could sue. And if knowing the list was confidential and we still used the information, we could be right in the middle of it. I'll just pass on that, as I'm sure you will.

It is too bad that just ONE of those who were on the Marylin email chain that exposed all of the owners email adresses would not forward the same email to Jan or myself. That would be a least start at evening the playing field.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
I always thought BOD members must also be owners.

But owners can also be employees for Hyatt/MVC. Most of the salespeople who work in Key West owned a week or two.

If I recall correctly, a few of them got their wrists slapped recently for buying foreclosed weeks on the cheap before the general public found out. There were some names I recognized from when I worked there.

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
AJCts411,

The legal ramifications of gaining access to that list wouldn't be something we would want to be embroiled in. While it seems harmless enough to gain access to it, it could (and almost certainly would) cause problems for everyone involved. All it would take is one owner to ask how someone got their email address and if they were upset enough and were so inclined, they could sue. And if knowing the list was confidential and we still used the information, we could be right in the middle of it. I'll just pass on that, as I'm sure you will.
I'd have to disagree about confidential. The information collected was voluntary given and likely without restriction. If anyone had a problem with public distribution, which I observe as what happened, IMO then they need to complain to that person. I'm no lawyer but how do you undo something that is already in the public?

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
You have to read the Florida State statute for that time period. It's very clear - certain information could not be revealed without an owner's specific approval. There was information that was on that list was confidential and protected. And while it was voluntarily given to Hyatt/MVW, there is a stipulation that it is for electronic communication by Hyatt/MVW/BOD. So, there are legal implications to having had it exposed. That is why I was so upset. Obviously, people knew about it when it happened, but 2,000 owners didn't know. Once it got out in the public forum, that exposed it even further. Statute of limitations for someone to sue is almost always governed by when a person discovers their information has been compromised. We live in such a litigious society anymore, I'm just holding my breath.

I'd have to disagree about confidential. The information collected was voluntary given and likely without restriction. If anyone had a problem with public distribution, which I observe as what happened, IMO then they need to complain to that person. I'm no lawyer but how do you undo something that is already in the public?

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
You have to read the Florida State statute for that time period. It's very clear - certain information could not be revealed without an owner's specific approval. There was information that was on that list was confidential and protected. And while it was voluntarily given to Hyatt/MVW, there is a stipulation that it is for electronic communication by Hyatt/MVW/BOD. So, there are legal implications to having had it exposed. That is why I was so upset. Obviously, people knew about it when it happened, but 2,000 owners didn't know. Once it got out in the public forum, that exposed it even further. Statute of limitations for someone to sue is almost always governed by when a person discovers their information has been compromised. We live in such a litigious society anymore, I'm just holding my breath.

Thanks for this info. Just to clarify I was refering to the M.G. email. We know that every owner name and details are available online in the deed of public records (search the county records) and can be downloaded and filtered. Searching names and associated addresses will find a large percentage of their emails. Time consuming for sure. That's a FYI for anyone trying to build a list.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
You're talking about the list that went out in 2020 from M.G.? The information on that list absolutely was confidential as defined by Florida State Statute.

Going through public records is tedious!!! But, it's the only way at this point that I can see we can gather much of the information we need. Even then it won't always be accurate because of the lag time in getting deeds recorded, etc. Apparently, Monroe County is backed up right now and very slow.

Thanks for this info. Just to clarify I was refering to the M.G. email. We know that every owner name and details are available online in the deed of public records (search the county records) and can be downloaded and filtered. Searching names and associated addresses will find a large percentage of their emails. Time consuming for sure. That's a FYI for anyone trying to build a list.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
As I've dug deeper into issues surrounding Sunset Harbor, I've come to the conclusion that I was off-base on my take about BOD member, Marilyn Gordon. When I'm off-base or wrong, I step up and admit it.

There is absolutely no disputing that her actions (outlined in my previous post) were a breach of fiduciary duty to both the owners and the rest of the BOD.
One seemingly caused by a lack of attention to detail and the other, I believe, caused by her sincere concerns about the path being followed as the BOD moved forward in their efforts to terminate the management contract and resort agreement at SH. I took the opportunity at the recent annual meeting of the association to address Ms. Gordon and cautioned her to please be more careful and also to explain that once the BOD has voted in the majority on an effort, she has to stand in support of that effort.

As I've continued to try and get a handle on what's going on at SH, both with the property and the BOD/MVW, I've gotten a much clearer picture. I've spoken to alot of people, who I feel were being truthful with me. It's amazing what wandering the streets of Key West can reveal. I've learned that Ms. Gordon's concerns about the path being followed in the termination efforts very much mirrored my own and those concerns have validity. I'll leave it at that for right now. While she didn't handle things correctly, in the end, I believe she made the right decision to speak out against the termination effort as more details were revealed, even though it fostered an atmosphere of distrust and created a flood of anger directed at herself. I believe Ms. Gordon made the right decision to be honest with other owners that know her and were looking to her for anwers. Had I been in her position, I would have handled things differently from the beginning, but, in the end, she did what she felt she had to do with what she had to work with. I have to have some level of respect for her to take that action, knowing the backlash she was going to face. Not many would have the guts to do that.

I'm not saying I agree with Ms. Gordon on every issue. I'm very upset with the BOD as a whole. But, I believe I was wrong in my initial assessment of her and I'm taking the opportunity to set the record straight and to apologize publically to her. I should have just contacted her directly in the beginning, instead of basing my assessment solely on her actions. I should have been more open-minded to the possibility that there were good reasons for her about-face on the termination effort. Again, I don't like how she went about it but I honestly believe that initially there was a lack of understanding on her part of how the process was going to play out. Once she realized what was happening, she took the only path she felt she could. I respect that.

This is going to anger some people. I don't care. Be angry if you want. When I'm wrong, I admit it. And know this: I intend to shine a bright light on what's going on at SH; operations by both the BOD and MVW. They're going to know that someone is FINALLY watching them and is going to hold them accountable for their decisions. I'm working with others to get owners consolidated, get information to them, and to get them involved. Owner participation is the absolute key to getting things turned around there and enough of us are concerned now and are going to do our best to get rid of the apathy that has prevailed among SH owners up to this point.

Playame

Reaction score
Your best opportunity to do something already came... and went. If you were as fired up to get people to vote yes on question one, we wouldn't be having this discussion right now. Sunset Harbor would no longer be a Hyatt resort. And the owners would be discussing the new management company, and how they're doing compared to Hyatt.

I also fail to see why you're so angry with the BOD instead of the real culprit -- the management company. Don Heisler isn't in charge of cleaning the resort. MVC is. If you don't think you're getting your money's worth, that isn't Don's fault. It's not that you're fighting a losing battle. You're fighting the wrong battle entirely. That battle already happened.

Compare the Galleon to Sunset Harbor. Compare resale prices. Compare the cleanliness of the resort. Compare how the owners feel about their condo. There's no comparison. Sunset Harbor should be managed by the same company which manages the Galleon. They're right over there, after all. You should go to the Galleon and ask to have a look around. I'm sure they'll let you.
Galleon is a horrible example of "good" Management, while the values have held their own or increased, the furniture, beds, bedspreads, pillows, tables, end tables, etc. are all WAY past their lifetime. Follow the money!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Galleon is a horrible example of "good" Management, while the values have held their own or increased, the furniture, beds, bedspreads, pillows, tables, end tables, etc. are all WAY past their lifetime. Follow the money!
But, but, but. People say the resort will keep up the quality when it goes independant. I have yet to see a case where, long term, quality has remained the same as when the resort was associated with a major brand.

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
But, but, but. People say the resort will keep up the quality when it goes independant. I have yet to see a case where, long term, quality has remained the same as when the resort was associated with a major brand.

Yeah the major brands force the resorts to maintain brand standards while a lot of independent resorts let things go as long as possible to save money!

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
Yeah the major brands force the resorts to maintain brand standards while a lot of independent resorts let things go as long as possible to save money!
Every resort will be different IMO, depending on the resort owners involvement. At HSH, there are many who are arguing that these "standards" are not what they should be and not being kept up at Sunset. And there are other issues being discussed by HSH owners that are of greater concern.