• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Follow My Journey as a Moderna Phase 3 COVID-19 Vaccine Participant

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sanibel Cottages (Affiliate)
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
I have been selected participate in the NIH/Moderna Phase 3 clinical trials for the new vaccine. At age 59 with an auto-immune disease, I am considered high risk for serious complications with Covid-19. I was contacted yesterday morning for pre-screening and then sent on to scheduling. They are specifically looking for first responders, teachers, and high risk individuals.

I will be receiving the first vaccine on August 3rd at a 3 hour appointment. I know they will do a nasal swab and antibody blood test at that visit to make sure I do not have an active infection and have not had the disease. My second injection will take place 28 days later. The study involves 7 visits over a 2 year period. After both vaccines are received, I am assuming the follow up visits are more about checking levels of antibodies through blood tests, etc.

I live in sunny, south Florida - specifically, Palm Beach County (think epicenter of the world). Moderna is doing a huge rollout in south Florida in Palm Beach County and Dade County (Miami) due to the skyrocketing presence of the virus here.

Assuming I am not subject to any sort of confidentiality agreement about this, I will be posting on my experience here. Or I will post as much as I can.

Brett

Reaction score
I have been selected participate in the NIH/Moderna Phase 3 clinical trials for the new vaccine. At age 59 with an auto-immune disease, I am considered high risk for serious complications with Covid-19. I was contacted yesterday morning for pre-screening and then sent on to scheduling. They are specifically looking for first responders, teachers, and high risk individuals.

I will be receiving the first vaccine on August 3rd at a 3 hour appointment. I know they will do a nasal swab and antibody blood test at that visit to make sure I do not have an active infection and have not had the disease. My second injection will take place 28 days later. The study involves 7 visits over a 2 year period. After both vaccines are received, I am assuming the follow up visits are more about checking levels of antibodies through blood tests, etc.

I live in sunny, south Florida - specifically, Palm Beach County (think epicenter of the world). Moderna is doing a huge rollout in south Florida in Palm Beach County and Dade County (Miami) due to the skyrocketing presence of the virus here.

Assuming I am not subject to any sort of confidentiality agreement about this, I will be posting on my experience here. Or I will post as much as I can.

Thanks for volunteering

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score

Kudos to you!

Do you know if they are trying to assess possible adverse reactions of your body to the vaccine or if they are testing the efficacy of the vaccine? If the latter, because of your condition, I assume you are a lot more careful than the general population so the mere fact you would not be catching the virus may or may not be due to the vaccine.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Kudos to you!

Do you know if they are trying to assess possible adverse reactions of your body to the vaccine or if they are testing the efficacy of the vaccine? If the latter, because of your condition, I assume you are a lot more careful than the general population so the mere fact you would not be catching the virus may or may not be due to the vaccine.
At stage 3, they either give you the vaccine or a placebo. I don't think it is a challenge trial where they purposely expose you to the virus, but they want you to go about your normal activities. I don't think they would want someone to be hold up in their home under quarantine during the trial since this would impact their results. They will probably survey participants on a regular basis as to their activities during the trial to see who is and who isn't partaking in activities that would possibly expose them to the virus and take that in to consideration for their results.

Last edited:

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
interesting: Moderna’s vaccine uses messenger RNA (mRNA), which are cells used to build proteins. Tailored mRNA can instruct other cells to produce specific protein and, in turn, prompt the body to produce antibodies to the coronavirus.
thanks for helping us fight Covid!

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
Thank you for being willing to serve in this way! <3

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
At stage 3, they either give you the vaccine or a placebo. I don't think it is a challenge trial where they purposely expose you to the virus, but they want you to go about your normal activities. I don't think they would want someone to be hold up in their home under quarantine during the trial since this would impact their results. They will probably survey participants on a regular basis as to their activities during the trial to see who is and who isn't partaking in activities that would possibly expose them to the virus and take that in to consideration for their results.
In order to study the efficacy of the vaccine you need both areas with a high presence of the virus and people who are more likely to be in contact with those infected. The high risk people are very unlikely to meet the 2nd condition and depending how careful they are (probably the most careful of all) they may skew the results. My concern is that, according to the OP, they are specifically looking for high risk individuals so I am wondering what percentage of the subjects are indeed high risk. I am curious, if the OP can share of course, what kind of precautions she has taken so far to avoid being infected.

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
As others have said, thank you for your willingness to participate. I hope to be able to follow your journey.

How were you identified as a candidate? Very cool that you have made it this far through the selection process.

Firepath

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC
I read an article about this, and added my name to the volunteer list, but I think we live in too remote of an area and are too isolated to be of any benefit. The article said that the previous stage had ruled out any obvious side effects, so at this stage it is unlikely to be dangerous to anyone. Now they are just trying to determine if it actually works. I appreciate your volunteering.

Glenn2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ft. Lauderdale Beach Resort (2)
Suites at Fisherman's Wharf

I wish you the very best in this process. I think this is a noble act.

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
Kudos to you!

They are now testing efficacy rather than safety. I believe safety for humans was part of the Phase 1 and Phase 2 trials. I’m sure I will learn more as part of the 3 hour marathon first appointment. I do know it is a series o two (2) 100 mcg shots.

They are not making participants stand in line or be part of a group of people at these appointments as I asked about this. They are individual appointments with the doctors on a one on one basis. They bring you right back to an examining room when you arrive - no wait in the lobby with other participants. I did not want to contract the virus from participating in this trial so I am glad they alleviated my concerns. I will also be masked while there except when they have to take the nasal swab.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade

Thank you for volunteering! I hope the trial is a huge success!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Such a brave and generous thing to do! Thank-you! Wishing you the best!

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am say thanks for acting justly, and I am wishing you a safe journey and I will be following your journey. Thanks you and may God be with you on your journey.
All will be well at the end of your journey. IMHO.

Last edited:

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
I am say thanks for acting justly, and I am wishing you a safe journey and I will be following your journey. Thanks you and may God be with on your journey.
All will be well at the end of your journey. IMHO.

Thank you for the kind words, Pedro!

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
I read an article about this, and added my name to the volunteer list, but I think we live in too remote of an area and are too isolated to be of any benefit. The article said that the previous stage had ruled out any obvious side effects, so at this stage it is unlikely to be dangerous to anyone. Now they are just trying to determine if it actually works. I appreciate your volunteering.

Moderna has 89 locations that they are testing at. They tend to be real virus hotspots. A map of the locations can be found here: https://www.coronaviruspreventionnetwork.org/clinical-study-locations/

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko ‘Olina

Yes, and this is one of the reasons they are also looking for first responders (doctors, nurses, policemen, firemen, EMTs), teachers, etc. Also, the locations were selected where the disease has a very high transmission rate.

Last edited:

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
As others have said, thank you for your willingness to participate. I hope to be able to follow your journey.

How were you identified as a candidate? Very cool that you have made it this far through the selection process.

You can volunteer here at: https://www.coronaviruspreventionnetwork.org/

You complete the questionnaire with some basic information. You become part of their database of volunteers. I believe volunteer contct information is then sent out to the testing location nearest to your home address.

I went one step further. I was able to find out the name of the testing center nearest to me in Palm Beach County and then went to their website. They had their own form to complete if you were interested in participating. So I completed this form as well. Two days later I received a call from the testing facility. They wanted to confirm my interest, answer any questions I had, and then do a pre-screening over the phone. After passing the prescreening, I was then transferred to scheduling.

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
There is a short animated video about how the mRNA vaccine works here:

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko ‘Olina

You have to complete a questionnaire online and then go through an oral interview (prescreening) over the phone.