• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Flying SW

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
How does SW do it when you change planes?

You just need to check in once- at 24 hours before the first flight of a trip. You will then be all checked in for all that day's flights on that trip code. You get a boarding pass for each leg even if there is a plane change.

Jim

bellesgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
When you print your boarding passes you get a pass for the first flight and another pass for the second flight.
So if you have a connecting flight at noon but your first flight is at 8:00am, you can check in for both at 8:00am the previous day and get boarding numbers for both? Does that means those who cannot checkin until noon get what''s left over or do they hold some numbers aside in each group?

Also if you pay for early boarding, do you still have to check in online? I am not clear about the 36 hour statement mentioned in an earlier post. Is that automatically set by SW?

Bwolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
So if you have a connecting flight at noon but your first flight is at 8:00am, you can check in for both at 8:00am the previous day and get boarding numbers for both? Does that means those who cannot checkin until noon get what''s left over or do they hold some numbers aside in each group?

Also if you pay for early boarding, do you still have to check in online? I am not clear about the 36 hour statement mentioned in an earlier post. Is that automatically set by SW?

Yes, you get boarding passes for both.

I doubt that they hold numbers aside.

You should check-in online, but you don't need to 24 hours in advance. With Early bird, you may check in later, but you do need to check-in. That said, my wife insists I check-in 24 hours ahead of time. :)

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's open seating in 3 groups (A, B and C), based upon your boarding number.

I just booked a flight for my mother on SW. I paid the "wanna get away" aka cheap ticket. I was able to select seats for all of her flights. I did indicate that she was a senior citizen. Perhaps that's why I was able to select her seats. I have no idea.

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
I just booked a flight for my mother on SW. I paid the "wanna get away" aka cheap ticket. I was able to select seats for all of her flights. I did indicate that she was a senior citizen. Perhaps that's why I was able to select her seats. I have no idea.

I have never seen nor read anything that allowed for selecting sets online for SWA, senior citizen or not.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never seen nor read anything that allowed for selecting sets online for SWA, senior citizen or not.

New one to me, too. I wonder if she was a wheelchair bound passenger who required assistance by airline staff? They would of necessity get one of the front bulkhead seats.

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
New one to me, too. I wonder if she was a wheelchair bound passenger who required assistance by airline staff? They would of necessity get one of the front bulkhead seats.

As far as I know, they would get a preboard card then though, not assigned seats.

I asked over at Flyertalk to see if anyone there has ever seen anything with seat selection.

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was able to select seats for all of her flights. I did indicate that she was a senior citizen.

Out of curiosity, what flight number and date? Did you get a confirmation of some sort with the seat assignments on it, that showed row number and seat? I'd like to see if I can replicate it.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry for all the confusion. Lucky I took a screen shot of her ticket. The first reservation I made for her was on AA. But I ended up buying her a ticket on SW. So you're correct. I didn't select seats. Ugh. I have no problem with SW but my mom requires assistance. I'm not sure how she'll manage with the cattle call.

Bwolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it is a misunderstanding. :)

OK, jehb2, you beat me to the punch. If you can't get in touch with SW about your mom needing assistance, she will be able to ask for a preboard and assistance down the ramp.

Last edited:

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ditto what Bwolf said. :) Just talk to an agent at ticketing, or at your gate, depending on your needs:

"Assistance in the Airport and with Boarding

Upon arrival at the airport, please inform a Southwest Airlines Agent or Skycap at your first point of contact, either at the Skycap podium or the ticket counter, if you need an airport wheelchair and/or assistance within the airport.

Priority preboarding is available for those who have a specific seating need to accommodate their disability and/or need assistance in boarding the aircraft or stowing an assistive device. If a Customer has a disability and requires preboarding, the Customer should request a Preboarding Document from our Customer Service Agent at the departure gate. The Preboarding Document serves as notification to our Operations (Boarding) Agent that the Customer has a need to preboard. It's important to keep in mind that Customers who preboard may not occupy an exit seat. Customers with disabilities who have any other special needs related to boarding should speak with our Customer Service Agent at the departure gate."

dwojo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are flying with young children you will get earlier boarding so you can be seated together.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
If you are flying with young children you will get earlier boarding so you can be seated together.

With Southwest families with small children get seated between the A and B groups. If you already have A seating this doesn't benefit you. The only people who get to pre board are those who need extra time, and you need a special boarding pass (a blue card) to do this.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Just make sure you listen to the guy with the cattle prod!
I have found Southwest's boarding procedures much more civilized than the majors. On Southwest, everyone lines up nice and orderly, and only when their boarding group is ready. On the majors, if I am in boarding group 2, I usually have to fight my way through the mobs of people with boarding passes for groups 3+ that are crowded around the gangway entrance. They usually get up and stand in front of the entrance as soon as they announce pre-boarding! Very annoying!

Kurt

Dori

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Kurt, I wholeheartedly agree! On Tuesday, we flew out of Toronto To Vietnam, on Air Canada. It was bedlam at boarding time. Gives me a whole new appreciation of SW's boarding procedures.

Dori

topmom101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbour Lake, Divi Phoenix, Coconut Palm II
Good morning, I checked in at exactly 24 hours prior (actually I inputted all info a few minutes before, using two devices simultaneously for my sister and I) and got B21 and B23. Hopefully we'll be able to sit together.

Thank you all so much for your help. Love tugs.

Beachplace Towers, here we come!!!!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good morning, I checked in at exactly 24 hours prior (actually I inputted all info a few minutes before, using two devices simultaneously for my sister and I) and got B21 and B23. Hopefully we'll be able to sit together.

Shouldn't be a problem. Those boarding numbers are at less than half the plane's capacity. Unless there are a lot of passengers staying on the plane from the inbound flight and continuing on, there will be lots of seats together.

Jim

JackieD

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry for all the confusion. Lucky I took a screen shot of her ticket. The first reservation I made for her was on AA. But I ended up buying her a ticket on SW. So you're correct. I didn't select seats. Ugh. I have no problem with SW but my mom requires assistance. I'm not sure how she'll manage with the cattle call.

The people at SW are great with customer service and assistance. I purchased tickets for my parents (76&79) to go to his brother's funeral. I put on their reservation a special request to have wheelchair assistance for my mom. They had a connecting flight and the SW employee took my parents from one plane to another. Not only that but my dad stopped at McDonalds for food while mom & SW employee went on. My dad stood there waiting to take his order while teens chatted it up. He was worried about catching flight and getting seats together so he left and went to the gate. The gate agents asked where their food was and he explained. The SW agent went back and stood in line at McDonalds, got their food and took them onto the plane (flight attendant saved them seats on the plane!!). They took great care of them during their time of distress. I love Southwest not only because of this but have found their change policy exceptional. I try to book with them as much as possible.

P.S. I didn't use the senior rate since it was higher than the cheap rate