• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Florida Strawberries

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
The thread about travelling I-4 in Florida mentioned Dinosaur World, which is near a vegetable market we've stopped at in the past to buy strawberries.

Can any Floridians or guests verify that the early Plant City strawberries are starting to come in? Are there any good markets near Orlando where I can get a flat? If not, where's the best deal in Plant City? I love strawberries enough to make the trek if necessary.

OK. Now I really want strawberry shortcake!

Sheila

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not a Floridian, but you may be referring to the Parkesdale Market. Sorry I can't answer your question, but they have a website that you can check out. We enjoy going to the Strawberry Festival in Plant City in late February!

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
Thanks for the info. We’ve never made it to the Strawberry Festival, but I think we might be able to go to the last day in 2020. It looks like great fun!

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parkesdale Market looks great and we may go there, but it isn’t the one I remember unless it has changed a lot. We stopped every time we drove by on I-4 at one just right off the exit near Dinosaur World. Thanks again.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Yes, Plant City strawberries are in season.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Last year I got some at a farmers market and they were the best strawberries I had since I was a kid!

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The early ones always seem to be the sweetest. Our groceries at home sell Plant City strawberries, but the local markets seem to get smaller, tastier ones. I just can't seem to find a good vegetable market near Orlando.

Thanks,

Sheila

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For Oranges, OJ, strawberries, sweet corn, all fruits and veggies, butcher shop, fresh seafood, deli, and more:

https://www.detwilermarket.com/

I didn't see this response before we left FL, but will try them next time.

We went to Parkesdale Market on a rainy day, even though it was 46 miles from our resort. We bought several bags of fruits and veggies at very nice prices. Their strawberries were beautiful, if a little pricey. I bought a full flat. We ate a lot of them and put five bags in the freezer with just enough for a small cobbler. The berries were NOT, however, the small sweet ones that I was looking for. They were the typical big shipping berries, much like I could buy in my grocery at home only in much nicer condition. The clerk told me what variety they were, but I promptly forgot the name.

I tried the strawberry shortcake (splitting it with my husband since it was HUGE). I didn't care for the cake they used, so next visit I'm going for the strawberry milk shake.

Definitely a fun visit, but I'm still looking for a good place to get those early berries. Maybe I was there too late in the season. I think the little ones are the first to ripen.

Keep the suggestions coming and thanks!

Sheila