• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Florida rentals this winter

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Coconut Point (5), Marriott Legends Edge
This is not an ad. I have units that I rent in Bonita springs on Redweek, they are priced a bit lower that others. This time last year they were all rented, but so far nothing. Is it possible that people will not be going to Florida this winter, because of the virus? These are Feb and early March weeks, so prime Florida time. I am hoping that this post is not against the site policies, but I wanted to ask the question.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is not an ad. I have units that I rent in Bonita springs on Redweek, they are priced a bit lower that others. This time last year they were all rented, but so far nothing. Is it possible that people will not be going to Florida this winter, because of the virus? These are Feb and early March weeks, so prime Florida time. I am hoping that this post is not against the site policies, but I wanted to ask the question.

My opinion is that timeshare rentals anywhere will be an issue during the first half of 2021. Just look at the vacancies at all Hotel properties right now.

Many folks are afraid to travel due to the Corona Virus. If the vaccine works then these issues will likely go away by 2022 and people will start traveling again.

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
I also agree with TheTimeTraveler. The virus has stopped a lot of folks from travelling this winter whether for vacations or snow birding for the whole winter. I was speaking to our rep at the property management company we have looking after our condo in St. Augustine yesterday and she said normally they have lots of enquiries or even a wait list for folks wanting winter or at least monthly rentals in the area but not this year. She said there are lots of empty units, or ones rented for just a few weeks instead of the whole winter, around. Thank goodness our condo is rented full time (unfurnished) so the current situation isn't affecting us or our tenants.

~Diane

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I live on Marco Island and work at a marine store. We are hearing that many people will not travel here this winter because they don't want to fly. Afraid to be out in the open, and afraid of the crowds at airports and on the plane. We are also being told the Europeans are not coming at all because of the quarantine restrictions. There are some people here, but we hear many of them drove here. I'm not seeing the number of car carrier trucks as usual, either.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I have a friend who lives in a condo complex in Venice and a lot of his neighbors have mentioned that their usual snowbirds are not coming this year. That’s a pile of rent money to use. Probably pays the mortgage for the year.

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District
I recently read an article about increased demand from younger couples/families who normally wouldn't have flexibility to move to a warmer climate for a couple of months and are filling up some rentals that would usually have traditional snowbirds. In addition to the Europeans mentioned, the number of Canadians we usually run into, especially at the golf courses are significant. Personally I know a bunch of folks who aren't coming down either by choice or existing medical conditions that aren't traveling down. Most of these are homeowners who aren't saving rental expense. The few renters that I know are talking about a late winter trip so maybe there is some home to fill these units for part of the season. Good luck. I'm personally headed to FL in Mid March for a 5 night stay near Naples followed by 5 nights in Palm Beach Gardens and have existing hotel reservations that I can cancel if either we don't go or if I find a better option. I'll look at some TS options as the trip gets closer and has more certainty.

MPrince

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC The District by Hilton Gold, HGVC Oceans 22 Platinum, Elara Gold, Elara Platinum, Flamingo Gold
I'm heading down to FL at the end of January and staying for the rest of the winter, at least through mid March. Sounds like I might have the place to myself! :)

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Too hard to make plans for travel at this point. The list of units for rent at all the typical snowbird destinations is extensive and most lists show no units rented. Also the airlines have not updated their policies on cancelled travel, so I am not making airline reservations if there is a chance that a new lockdown will prevent me from traveling. Praying vaccines are approved and distributed sooner rather than later.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Canadians are the single largest national group of international visitors to Florida, but they still only represent less than 4% of total visitors, when you include domestic visitors. This year those numbers will be significantly reduced, including us. The reason most of us are staying home is due to both medical and logistical issues. Here is my perspective.

We normally drive down, but with the land border closed that option is off the table. As a go-around, some are paying to have their cars shipped across the border and then flying down, or at least to somewhere they can pick-up their car. This is relatively expensive, between the airfare and shipping costs, and it also increases the risk a bit, IMO. There is also the current 14-day full quarantine requirement when returning to Canada, although there is some talk about possibly reducing the number of days. The strong US dollar doesn't help and has impacted the number of Canadian visitors over the last five years anyway.

Then there are the medical issues, including the difficulty of getting supplementary insurance that will cover Covid-19. A lot of us are not fully comfortable in flying yet and having to transit through potentially busy airports. The increased incidence of cases, where it is even higher per capita than here in Canada, is a cause for concern for many of us. The inability by municipalities to mandate mask-wearing in Florida just adds another reason not to come. So for the first time in a long time, we will be spending our full winter at home.

We fully don't expect to be travelling beyond our home province until the 4th quarter of 2021. Trips cancelled (or not booked) so far: March 2020, December 2020, and March 2021 to Florida, August 2020 to Vancouver, September 2020 to the UK, January/February 2021 to St. Martin. With vaccines now on the horizon, here's hoping for better days ahead. Everyone has to make the decision that is right for them, but as seniors we have opted to skip travel this year, so that we will have many more (hopefully!) years of travel ahead after this pandemic passes.

Last edited:

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is no doubt the market is soft because of the pandemic. To find a renter, you may have to lower your prices much more than you what you are used to.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We live in central Florida and have noticed a lot of people coming down to Florida, mostly from the north and by car, RV , but not flying. Although many people traveled here over Thanksgiving and might stay thru the winter. There is no quarantine restrictions here and most people wear masks and social distance. We limit our interaction with others but every thing is open with limited capacity. Stay safe and healthy if you decide to visit Florida.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
With approximately 50% of the country afraid to travel, there will be less people renting and a glut of rentals available and low, low prices. Our daughter rents our timeshares and people are not renting right now. I am still paying for MF's.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
We are visiting a timeshare next week in St. Pete Area.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
So far those I know that rent out in Estero Florida are still getting rentals

Paumavista

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are on Captiva right now (we are actually staying an extra week because we got a good deal). We were able to drive down (12 hours in one day....which makes it possible.....no need to stop at some hotel along the way, eat out, etc). We don't need the elevator.....we're on the first floor (above parking) of a 2 story building.....so VERY LOW density. The beaches here in Captiva are not crowded at all (only an occasional person in the pool here so we can time our useage).....long walks or bike ride with very little contact. We brought a lot of food with us but put in a grocery order and had it delivered. DMS1709 We LOVED Bonita Beach!! We rode bikes at Lovers Key one morning. But I believe the resort isn't on the beach (and I'm not into sharing a pool no matter how nice (or outside); and I wouldn't be comfortable taking a ferry with other people to the beach (that's just me.....extra cautious) We drove to Marco Island a few days ago and didn't like the beaches......WAY WAY too crowded for us during COVID with all those high rises.....(and I've read Marco is really low density compared to normal.....so I probably wouldn't like it there normally either). I can't wait for my vaccine (I'm on the VERY VERY bottom of the vacinne list...63 and basically healthy)....but I can't wait to feel more comfortable & would love to head back down here, especially to the Bonita Beach area!

eschjw

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oakmont
We are visiting a timeshare next week in St. Pete Area.

We returned yesterday and felt safe on the beach and at our resort. Most businesses require masks for entry and the compliance level was high. Enjoy your stay.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
We canceled, because of weather, and Covid concerns. Going to wait and go at another time.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I have weeks in Pompano Beach in January that one would think would get snapped up.

Initially, they were full-price reservations but I've been able to book smaller units and get upgrades so the prices are pretty good. Just the idea of booking 1BR and upgrading January reservations suggests a very soft market.

As I've posted elsewhere, we were in an Orlando resort for Thanksgiving week, went home for a week, and are in Cocoa Beach for two weeks. All three were rescheduled from last spring/summer but I've had no takers. These are not points-based reservations so it was a "use or lose" situation.

48 degrees this morning in Cocoa Beach and there are frost warnings for tonight in western Brevard and Volusia counties.