• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Florida Maintenance Fees/ Separate Real Estate Tax

leeomo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of closing a Timeshare at Vaction Village Parkway. I was given the breakdown of maintenance fees and found out there was an additional $153.00 per year Real Estate Tax. I was told this is something Florida requires. My question: Is this applicable for all Timeshares in Florida ? Maintenance Fees Plus $153.00 Real Estae Tax per year ?

Don

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it depends on the resort. We've never paid separate tax on our Englewood Beach TS (since '95), but we did have to with either/both Cypress Palms/Star Island.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
There is real estate tax on all timeshares. Florida like most states (except California) bills the tax with the MF's. One thing Florida does that many states do not is base the tax on the value of specific week or season. So someone who owns during off season will pay slightly less tax than someone who owns during mid season and high season owners will pay even a little more. Since the total MF+tax are different at the same resort depending on the week some owners quote just the MF portion. It is kind of deceptive because normally you would expect that to include the taxes.

I know when I was giving away my VV at Parkway, I disclosed the total MF including tax and even warned that you will see it listed lower but that likely means the advertiser is not including the tax portion of MF.

It isn't an issue at resorts that float 1-52.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Some people only list the actual MFs (assessment) when they sell. Most will include the real estate taxes and the reserves, but some won't in order to make it sound less expensive than what it is.

SherryS

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own 3 separate weeks at the same Florida resort. Each year we pay separate real estate taxes on each week. Each week is a different amount of tax based on what the county says each is worth. We are always surprised that RCI has a very different view on the value of each week, compared to what the county believes. This is the one main reason that we no longer use RCI!

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Comparing apples and oranges...

We own 3 separate weeks at the same Florida resort. Each year we pay separate real estate taxes on each week. Each week is a different amount of tax based on what the county says each is worth. We are always surprised that RCI has a very different view on the value of each week, compared to what the county believes. This is the one main reason that we no longer use RCI!

I'm certainly no fan of RCI, but in all fairness RCI "valuation" of weeks is based largely upon exchange demand --- not in any way involving or considering assessed market value, which is the actual determinant for property taxes.

All of our weeks at two different current (and three or four other former) FL facilities all include(d) property taxes within the annual maintenance fee billing.
AFAIK, all owners paid / pay the exact same property taxes at all of those places, regardless of week(s) owned. It's interesting that there are apparently different property tax assessment practices (entirely aside and apart from the issue of separate tax billing) at different FL timeshare facilities.

For our Maine timeshare weeks on the other hand, property taxes are billed separately, directly by the County. I frankly don't know if the property tax amounts vary for different weeks at that Maine facility. :shrug:

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
For all Marriott resorts in Florida the property taxes are included as a component of the annual Maintenance Fee bill. Each resort has its own separate Operating Budget and as tschwa2 says above, the taxes within each individual resort vary according to the seasonal calendars.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Correction to erroneous statement...

<snip> For our Maine timeshare weeks on the other hand, property taxes are billed separately, directly by the County. <snip>

It's too late to edit my original statement but I misspoke, for which I apologize. It's actually the town (not the County, as I incorrectly typed) that directly bills owners for real estate taxes at our Maine timeshare. I knew that, but still somehow typed County, which I will just attribute to experiencing an unfortunate "senior moment". :eek:

Last edited:

SherryS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm certainly no fan of RCI, but in all fairness RCI "valuation" of weeks is based largely upon exchange demand --- not in any way involving or considering assessed market value, which is the actual determinant for property taxes.

All of our weeks at two different current (and three or four other former) FL facilities all include(d) property taxes within the annual maintenance fee billing.
AFAIK, all owners paid / pay the exact same property taxes at all of those places, regardless of week(s) owned. It's interesting that there are apparently different property tax assessment practices (entirely aside and apart from the issue of separate tax billing) at different FL timeshare facilities.

For our Maine timeshare weeks on the other hand, property taxes are billed separately, directly by the County. I frankly don't know if the property tax amounts vary for different weeks at that Maine facility. :shrug:

This doesn't make any sense since all the units we own are identical (same resort, same units). Only difference is date of check-in. Assessed value then would be identical????? Not.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
This doesn't make any sense since all the units we own are identical (same resort, same units). Only difference is date of check-in. Assessed value then would be identical????? Not.

With all due respect, I believe that you have misinterpreted my statements and observations --- but you may well still be mistaken, in any case.

My primary intended point was that RCI does not know, does not consider (and certainly does not care one bit about) the assessed (i.e., the basis of taxation) value of any given week at any given resort in the course of assigning their TPU "valuation". Trying to somehow reconcile RCI's inexplicable TPU valuation process with any differences in your real estate tax assessments for similar unit / weeks at any given facility is, as already stated, just a pointless exercise of trying to compare apples to oranges, inevitably concluding that they are entirely unrelated to one another and hence very different from one another.

Real estate taxes for the same units (but different weeks) at the same facility can (and do) sometimes differ for a variety of reasons. Seasonality is just one possibility.
For another possibility, by way of specific example, at one facility where we own weeks, there are three separate buildings, all completely identical, but built in three separate phases. An identical week in the identical comparable unit in each one of the 3 buildings each has different maintenance fees (and tax assessments) from its' identical twins in the other buildings, apparently higher in the newer construction buildings. At other facilities where we own weeks, all unit / weeks throughout the year have precisely the same maintenance fees and precisely the same real estate valuation (and taxes); all units are identical at that place too, btw.

I'm certainly not claiming to understand all of the "whys" of the matter in all places; I am merely observing and reporting some relevant and indisputable facts. :shrug:

Last edited:

SherryS

TUG Member
Reaction score
With all due respect, I believe that you have misinterpreted my statements and observations --- but may very well be quite mistaken in any case.

My primary intended point was that RCI does not know, does not consider (and certainly does not care one bit about) the assessed (i.e., the basis of taxation) value of any given week at any given resort in the course of assigning their TPU "valuation". Trying to somehow reconcile RCI's inexplicable TPU valuation process with any differences in your real estate tax assessments for similar unit / weeks at any given facility is, as already stated, just a frustrating exercise of trying to compare apples to oranges, ultimately resulting in the conclusion that they are simply different from one another.

Real estate taxes for the same units (but different weeks) at the same facility can (and do) sometimes differ for a variety of reasons. Seasonality is just one possibility.
For another, by way of specific example, at one facility where we own weeks, there are three separate buildings, all completely identical, but built in three separate phases. An identical week in the identical comparable unit in each one of the 3 buildings has different maintenance fees (and tax assessments) from its' mates in the other buildings, presumably being higher in the newer construction buildings. At other facilities where we own weeks, all weeks throughout the year have precisely the same maintenance fees and precisely the same real estate valuation (and taxes); all units are identical in size there, btw.

I'm certainly not claiming to understand all of the "whys" of the matter in all places; I am merely observing and reporting some relevant and indisputable facts. :shrug:

One building, same floor, same furniture, two weeks apart....shrug????

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
In Florida, each county has it's own property appraiser. They are supposed to use the same criteria, but taxable-values can vary significantly from county to county. Additionally, each county sets it's own millage rates, so taxes for similar units in different counties are never similar.

Last edited: