• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Florida flesh eating bacteria on the rise after Ian

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I just read this article explaining a flesh eating bacteria problem exacerbated possibly by Ian. Lee County is leading in these cases. The cases seem very low to me and I did wonder why this is news other than anything flesh eating is kind of interesting almost in a sci-fi way. To the people living in Florida, is this really a concern ?

Bill

JudyH

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don’t go in gulf waters if I have any scabbed or raw “wound “ or boo-boo. The warnings are also for pond or small lake or still waters.

LMD

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just read this article explaining a flesh eating bacteria problem exacerbated possibly by Ian. Lee County is leading in these cases. The cases seem very low to me and I did wonder why this is news other than anything flesh eating is kind of interesting almost in a sci-fi way. To the people living in Florida, is this really a concern ?

Bill

I live in Naples. Yes it is a concern especially right now following the hurricane with all of the contamination in the Gulf.
Typically this is an issue during the summer months when the water is warm. I would never go in the Gulf when the water is warm with open skin or even a scratch. It can kill you quickly!!

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Good to know. We were on Sanibel Island years ago and I cut my foot on a piece of shell. I never gave it a second thought.

Bill

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
Good to know. We were on Sanibel Island years ago and I cut my foot on a piece of shell. I never gave it a second thought.

Bill
You were lucky. Those infections can quickly lead to loss of a limb or a life, especially when the person is immune compromised.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You were lucky. Those infections can quickly lead to loss of a limb or a life, especially when the person is immune compromised.

I was thinking salt water, including ocean waters, heals cuts. It must just be surfing and fishing lore we like to believe because were not ready to leave. :ponder: From my life experiences it did seem like ocean water and chlorinated pool water helps to heal cuts faster so I never really worried about infections and especially never worried about a bacteria that would eat flesh. Is this a Gulf Coast thing ?

Bill

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
A man from up north volunteered to help with recovery of boats and died last week. Cleanup involves getting wet, but was so totally unexpected

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A man from up north volunteered to help with recovery of boats and died last week. Cleanup involves getting wet, but was so totally unex

Did he catch the flesh eating bacteria ? I read that mold has become a problem and I'm guessing it is mold on fabric and building materials.

Bill

LMD

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was thinking salt water, including ocean waters, heals cuts. It must just be surfing and fishing lore we like to believe because were not ready to leave. :ponder: From my life experiences it did seem like ocean water and chlorinated pool water helps to heal cuts faster so I never really worried about infections and especially never worried about a bacteria that would eat flesh. Is this a Gulf Coast thing ?

Bill
Salt water as in Epsom salt - yes but Ocean/Gulf water- nope

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II

Bill
The relevant bacteria, vibrio vulnificus, is found in warm coastal water, so commonly but not exclusively along the Gulf Coast. It can also infect oysters and clams and cause food borne illness, thus the warnings that immune compromised people shouldn’t eat raw oysters, and sometimes certain oyster beds are closed to harvest.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes he passed away at our local hospital here in Naples within days of getting the cut. So very sad :(

That is sad. It seems like it's similar to mrsa staff infections.

Bill

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The relevant bacteria, vibrio vulnificus, is found in warm coastal water, so commonly but not exclusively along the Gulf Coast. It can also infect oysters and clams and cause food borne illness, thus the warnings that immune compromised people shouldn’t eat raw oysters, and sometimes certain oyster beds are closed to harvest.

We get shell fish closures occasionally in Washington because of some type of toxin in the water. The shell fish are contaminated but we still play in the surf. I might need to look into that.

Bill

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

We get shell fish closures occasionally in Washington because of some type of toxin in the water. The shell fish are contaminated but we still play in the surf. I might need to look into that.

Bill

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham