• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Flights to Cabo from NY area

mrichards

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside at Atlantis
I have Cabo Azul booked for the holidays this year (Dec. 26 - Jan 2), but the flights are just outrageous (almost $1k pp and we are a family of 5!). Any suggestions on how to find cheap airfare from the NYC area? Else, I am afraid I have to give it up or trade, even though I am dying to visit this resort!

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Have you tried Costco Travel?

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Can you fly to San Diego early and then fly from TIJ (CBX) back and forth?

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
For a family of five, that seems like a long way to travel for a week in Cabo. Perhaps save that location for a couples trip? I understand the appeal of a Holiday exchange, but not sure the airfare at that price would be worth it. (Don't get me wrong, I like Cabo. But it's an easy flight for me from CA.) I'm assuming you have already explored the Caribbean?

mrichards

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside at Atlantis
For a family of five, that seems like a long way to travel for a week in Cabo. Perhaps save that location for a couples trip? I understand the appeal of a Holiday exchange, but not sure the airfare at that price would be worth it. (Don't get me wrong, I like Cabo. But it's an easy flight for me from CA.) I'm assuming you have already explored the Caribbean?
Yes, we have been all over the Caribbean, although not the Virgin Islands. We own at Harborside at Atlantis, so we've been there many times. I deposited with Interval last year (explored Cali instead of Atlantis), so now I need to use my trade. Our holiday availability is so limited because of work schedules, the holiday period is one of the few times that we can all take off, except Summer, in which we are already booked for Atlantis again. Exchanges have been limited, but was able to secure Cabo Azul during the holidays, surprisingly, but I am still searching for an alternate location, should something else come up.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I will try this option, thank you!

Don't forget, you are kind of way early in the game to be searching for flights during that time period. Jump on something cheap but don't panic on something high priced. There is a long way to go.

SHG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Riviera Beach and Spa, Dana Point
HGVC Flamingo
HGVC on Blvd
Hyatt Beach House
Well, I certainly appreciate your problem. I am going to Cancun spring break (3/14), from LA area and round trip airfare can be over $800. It's crazy what is going on with airfare to Mexico… But, there is hope.... Here is what I can tell you. When we first starting looking at airfare 4 months ago, it was much less expensive (under $500), so we went ahead and made the trade to Cancun. After we got the trade, we looked at airfare again, and it was sky high. Since then we have watched the prices almost daily and we are now starting to see the prices come down. I was able to book a one way flight from Cincinnati (for a family member who is going) for ~$265. We are still searching for return flights... Bottom line; you have a long ways to go and flight prices will come down. You have to be patient and keep looking. When the price opportunity comes up, be ready to buy...…. I believe it will happen

As another option, you should also consider some of the less known airlines (Interjet and Aeromexico). these flight are often longer, but much less expensive.
Good Luck!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Southwest serves both NYC and Cabo. It wouldn't be a direct flight, and isn't visible on the major booking engines. Might be worth a look-see. And yes, I agree with others that Cabo is a loooong way for a one week family vacay.
ETA- you can't book that far out on Southwest, but looking out as far as you can now, round trips are under $400pp.

Last edited:

Bunk

TUG Member
Reaction score
We spent 8 nights in Cabo at the end of January/beginning of February, 2020 and have two suggestions you might want to check.:

First: Look into flying out on Christmas instead of December 26. Possibly the tickets will be cheaper.
Second: We flew on AeroMexico (booked on Delta). Left JFK around 1:30 AM, landed in Mexico City in morning, and arrived at SJD around 12:30 pm. Mexico City wasn't bad because we spent our time at a lounge. The prices weren't bad.

mrichards

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside at Atlantis
Thank you everyone! I really appreciate all the advice and will look in to all these options!

timesharejunkie4

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
United flies nonstop from Newark to Cabo. We always flew them when we lived in PA. The fares appear outrageous now but they may come down.