• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Flight delays or cancellations while traveling with children. Carseat issues?

craigalan

Reaction score
I did a search on the forum but couldn't find anything.

We missed a connecting flight on Delta in SLC last week (actually the flight left early because it was overbooked and we arrived just 15 minutes before scheduled take off time so the flight left). We were offered to be put up in SLC or fly to a nearby airport to our final destination (Ontario CA instead of LAX) and that Delta would provide ground transportation home.

By the time we arrived in Ontario it was clear that none of the ground transportation options could accomodate our carseat needs (we have an 8-month-old and a 2-year-old and our luggage/ carseats were all still in SLC) so my sister-in-law (who was going to pick us up in LAX had our original flight not left without us) ended up getting us at Ontario with some extra carseats. It got me thinking that if we had said that we'd have taken Delta up on the offer to let us stay in SLC that night that we might have had the same carseat issues (although local hotel shuttles typically do not require carseats anything we'd need to get to by cab would).

Just curious if others have had similar issues and what the airlines do when families are stranded without carseats. As for myself, I plan to start gate-checking our carseats and lugging them around airports in the future so we don't have these issues again.

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
What kind of carseat do you have for the 8-mo-old? My youngest is seven now, so I don't remember the weight limit, but I LOVED my combo stroller carseat thing. Can't recall the real name for it.

There was a basket for the babe that snapped into a stroller frame or a carseat frame. That left the carseat frame quite small. It could easily be carried around an airport.

I thought this was the greatest invention ever, since with my older kids I was always waking them up to switch them from the stroller to the carseat. With this arrangement, you just snapped the carrier out of one into the other and the babe keeps sleeping.

I also saw one of those stollers that converts to a car seat by just folding down in an airport last week. That might be another thing to consider.

For the older child, a heavy carseat is probably your only option.

Sheila

camachinist

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm childless, so don't have practical experience to relate, but I do travel a fair amount and have seen carseats which hook on the back of a rollaboard for transport. They quickly detach at the jetway opening to go downstairs, or can roll right onboard for a child which has his/her own seat. The parents I've seen with these typically have that front facing pouch on their body which carries the infant/toddler.

I too have seen the stroller/car seat combo, which might be good for those who require a stroller....

My best advice is not to depend on the transport providers for special equipment (wheelchairs, strollers, carseats, etc). I know I wouldn't.

Pat

craigalan

Reaction score
camachinist said:
My best advice is not to depend on the transport providers for special equipment (wheelchairs, strollers, carseats, etc). I know I wouldn't.

Pat

No question about that, but I was just curious if anyone had ever seen this scenario play out (I see lots of carseats come out at baggage claim so I'm sure we weren't the only family checking them in).

Amy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your experience. We have never had trouble because we always bring our carseat onboard either because we've bought DS a seat (even when he was "free") or because we wanted to see if there would be an empty seat for him. If you do end up not checking your carseat(s) with luggage in the future, get one of the carseat covers/carriers -- we have a backpack-type bag purchased from babycenter.com and it is really helpful on trips, keeping our arms free.

xvshanvxl

TUG Member
Reaction score
The airlines would have to provide a loaner carseat if yours was delayed. Luckily this hasn't happened to me but it did to my sister when she visited with my newborn niece. When is arrives or is located they bring yours to your home and pick up the loaner.