• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Flex points vs Home points:

sal4drums

Reaction score
Starting to use my vistana flex points to make a reservation on line. The message I received is I don’t have enough "Home" points and I should call. I have 88,000 flex points and the reservation calls for 65 000 points. I tried calling Vistana for clarification but after 2vtries realize they don't call back as they promise so what is the difference between flex points and Home points ?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
They are one in the same, but I beleive officially, Vistana calls them HomeOptions.

Venter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Club Son Antem, Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve, Marriott Vacation Club @ Los Suenos, MVC points, Sheraton Lakeside Terrace, Sheraton Flex, Westin Flex, Aventuras
Flex and home points are one and the same. What do you own and what are you trying to book? Are these Bonus Flex points given to you as incentive and you only get your allocation of Home points after a year?

Remember you can only book 8-12 months out in your home resorts(home points used within your collection of home resorts). You can book any resort within the Vistana network from 8 months out but then your Home points are turned into Staroptions. If you own resale Flex/Home points you can only book within your home system and cannot book into other resorts using Staroptions. Bonus flex points can only be used to reserve 8 months out as they basically function as Staroptions.

Last edited:

Lskip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Flex and home points are one and the same. What do you own and what are you trying to book? Are these Bonus Flex points given to you as incentive and you only get your allocation of Home points after a year?

Remember you can only book 8-12 months out in your home resorts(home points used within your collection of home resorts). You can book any resort within the Vistana network from 8 months out but then your Home points are turned into Staroptions. If you own resale Flex/Home points you can only book within your home system and cannot book into other resorts using Staroptions. Bonus flex points can only be used to reserve 8 months out as they basically function as Staroptions.
Sorry to piggy back on OP discussion but you seem to know what you are talking about so thought I'd ask! I can try and start new thread if easier perhaps....
I'm looking to get into Westin/Vistana and trying to get all the terminology right! Im familiar with Marriott weeks and also own some Whistler fixed weeks which are all very simple lol.
My goal is to buy something resale and I'd like to own at (or use "points" for) WKORV (or nanea or the north units?). I've read there are mandatory or voluntary resorts too? Overall, I'd love ability to use annual 2BR at these resorts (OV? Or island view maybe?). Any suggestions on what to "search" for in resale that will be good for this? Star options? Flex points? When I see a listing for a particular resort are you actually tied to that resort or is it just points in the whole network? My plan is to use or rent, not trade elsewhere....

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Sorry to piggy back on OP discussion but you seem to know what you are talking about so thought I'd ask! I can try and start new thread if easier perhaps....
I'm looking to get into Westin/Vistana and trying to get all the terminology right! Im familiar with Marriott weeks and also own some Whistler fixed weeks which are all very simple lol.
My goal is to buy something resale and I'd like to own at (or use "points" for) WKORV (or nanea or the north units?). I've read there are mandatory or voluntary resorts too? Overall, I'd love ability to use annual 2BR at these resorts (OV? Or island view maybe?). Any suggestions on what to "search" for in resale that will be good for this? Star options? Flex points? When I see a listing for a particular resort are you actually tied to that resort or is it just points in the whole network? My plan is to use or rent, not trade elsewhere....
If you want a 2bd unit at WKORV/WKORVN/Nanea for prime weeks (summer, holidays, whale season) you should buy a deeded week which is exactly what you want (resale, of course); those reservations can be difficult. If you don't need prime weeks, you could purchase a 2bd Kierland unit and use the StarOptions to reserve Ka'anapali at the eight month mark (Kierland is not only cheaper to buy, but the MF's are also a third less).

Do not buy IV at WKORV; too many of those units are parking lot views (IV at WKORVN does not have this issue). I would never buy Resort View at Nanea; about 20% of Resort View units at Nanea look at a parking garage (others here will disagree with that).

Read the stickies for a discussion about mandatory/voluntary; the distinction is critical for resale units. WKORV, WKORVN, and Kierland are all mandatory. Nanea is voluntary.

Lskip

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want a 2bd unit at WKORV/WKORVN/Nanea for prime weeks (summer, holidays, whale season) you should buy a deeded week which is exactly what you want (resale, of course); those reservations can be difficult. If you don't need prime weeks, you could purchase a 2bd Kierland unit and use the StarOptions to reserve Ka'anapali at the eight month mark (Kierland is not only cheaper to buy, but the MF's are also a third less).

Do not buy IV at WKORV; too many of those units are parking lot views (IV at WKORVN does not have this issue). I would never buy Resort View at Nanea; about 20% of Resort View units at Nanea look at a parking garage (others here will disagree with that).

Read the stickies for a discussion about mandatory/voluntary; the distinction is critical for resale units. WKORV, WKORVN, and Kierland are all mandatory. Nanea is voluntary.
Thank you! This is super helpful. If I bought a Kierland unit as something extra, any idea how easy it is to rent (I suppose for at least MF) if unable to use? Or would I be able to book ka'anapali for some random week and rent that (or is that prohibited just like those who rent out exchanged bookings from II)?

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you! This is super helpful. If I bought a Kierland unit as something extra, any idea how easy it is to rent (I suppose for at least MF) if unable to use? Or would I be able to book ka'anapali for some random week and rent that (or is that prohibited just like those who rent out exchanged bookings from II)?
While there are people who flout the rules, per the terms of Vistana you can only rent out bookings at your home resort.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
I rent some of my Kierland 1bd units; I get >2x MF's for them.
But the best strategy is to buy to use; renting timeshares can be profitable but it is a lousy business model.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Since this is only about Vistana rules I'm moving this to the Vistana board.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC

Platinum season at WKV rents very well. 2BR units Here is an example of a few February weeks from Redweek. MFs for 2BR are around $1900 and renting for $4000-$4500 is definitely realistic. Small/Large 1BR units will typically rent for around 45%/55% of the price of the 2BR unit.

Last year's rental prices were insanely high as people were still hesitant to travel to Hawaii or overseas post-pandemic. Seems more "normal" this year.

If you are looking for "cheap" Staroptions in upfront cost, then Orlando is the best. If you are looking for more cost effective over time (lower MFs) then Kierland is the best. Yes, it will cost you more upfront but remember that what you pay upfront on the resale market is "equity". We purchased our first Kierland week almost 15 years ago and I could probably recover today most/all of what I paid for it then. If you are looking to specifically frequent resorts like Maui, Harborside or Westin St John in larger units at particular times with certain views, then buy where you want to go. Playing that game with Staroptions at 8 months out will often require you to compromise on dates, unit size or view and you should be prepared to do that.

1674872728116.png

Last edited:

tourproto

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana WKV Plat+ (x2)
HGVC Flamingo
I rent some of my Kierland 1bd units; I get >2x MF's for them.
But the best strategy is to buy to use; renting timeshares can be profitable but it is a lousy business model.
Ditto. I normally use my 3 weeks there to watch baseball during Spring Training or go golfing with friends who have retired there. But some years my wife says "I don't wanna go this year", so I rent out my weeks.

Whether I rent 1 BRs separately or the 2BR lockout, I get 2x MFs.

IMHO, only buy Platinum and at mandatory resorts. Kierland has been great for us. Also haven't had a problem using Kierland StarOptions to reserve Kauai Princeville at the 8 month mark (but we go off-season in October because that is our wedding anniversary).

We are currently at 3 weeks and will be buying 3 more over the next several years as we gear up for retirement (Assuming Marriott does not screw things up for us). The plan is to snowbird in Scottsdale for 2 months. We will reserve the 2 BR for 2 weeks and then just the 1 BR Plus for the other ~6-7 weeks. Friends and family can visit for 2 weeks then we stay just by ourselves for the remaining time. And we will do Hawaii every 3rd year or so for a change.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I need to increase my rent for our 1Bd WKV Plat+ - no wonder it rents so easily ;)

@vacationtime1 is correct.
Buy where you want to go - the overall cost of vacation is significantly larger than the cost difference on settling and increasing the hassle factor. And Life is way too short...