• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Flash sale

VAlegacy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Received email for 45% off points today and tomorrow.
What is this sorcery?

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Forty five percent off of what, inflated retail pricing?

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
Forty five percent off of what, inflated retail pricing?

I’m not sure what MSRP is these days but last I knew it was $254/1000 points. 45% off would be about $140/1000 which has been available pricing via telesales for a couple years now. Seems like a marketing ploy to me.

Now if it’s 45% off of real world pricing, that would be noteworthy, but highly unlikely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SandyJ

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called to find out about this:

105,000 pts $13,490

49,000 pts $9,660

64,000 pts $9,700

I need enough points to add PIC plus to my resale Wyndham ownership. That would mean that I would need to buy the 105,000 pts, but I have 2 2bed weeks which would be 154,000 pts per week, which would get me to Silver VIP. I went to a presentation in February and they wanted $26,000(ish) for the same amount of pts.

Is there another way to add PIC plus to a resale ownership I am not aware of?

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents

105,000 pts $13,490

49,000 pts $9,660

64,000 pts $9,700

I need enough points to add PIC plus to my resale Wyndham ownership. That would mean that I would need to buy the 105,000 pts, but I have 2 2bed weeks which would be 154,000 pts per week, which would get me to Silver VIP. I went to a presentation in February and they wanted $26,000(ish) for the same amount of pts.

What type of points were these, CWS or CWA? Seems odd to have 49K and 64K only $40 apart.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)

105,000 pts $13,490

49,000 pts $9,660

64,000 pts $9,700

Nope this is the way. I'm assuming you called telesales for this pricing? $13,490 for 105k points is about $128.50/1000 points, that's not a bad price by historical standards - but in this market I'm not sure how aggressively they would be willing to discount more. Last I checked, the minimum number of points per PIC Plus contract had to be 49k. At the time I bought in, each PIC contract required a dedicated retail purchase - so if I wanted to add two PIC Plus contracts - I had to purchase two retail contracts. I don't know if this is still a requirement though. I would think a single 105k contract would cover two PIC Plus contracts - but I would validate whether this is allowed.

SandyJ

TUG Member
Reaction score
What type of points were these, CWS or CWA? Seems odd to have 49K and 64K only $40 apart.
That is the one question I forgot to ask, I’m not sure, I’m sorry.

SandyJ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nope this is the way. I'm assuming you called telesales for this pricing? $13,490 for 105k points is about $128.50/1000 points, that's not a bad price by historical standards - but in this market I'm not sure how aggressively they would be willing to discount more. Last I checked, the minimum number of points per PIC Plus contract had to be 49k. At the time I bought in, each PIC contract required a dedicated retail purchase - so if I wanted to add two PIC Plus contracts - I had to purchase two retail contracts. I don't know if this is still a requirement though. I would think a single 105k contract would cover two PIC Plus contracts - but I would validate whether this is allowed.
In the end, I decided not to do it. Perhaps it was a one time opportunity, perhaps they will get more aggressive if this continues... all our vacation plans thus far this year have been cancelled by COVID.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation

At last check, telesales could only sell CWA. It's rare they can sell deeded these days, so CWA is most likely what they are discounting. It's also been my experience that in most cases they discount CWA more then deeded points. The reason being is it allows them to offload less desirable inventory. The exception being places like Bentley brook where the maintenance fees are higher then CWA. They might discount Bentley brook more to entice people to buy deeded. Of course, all this depends on what the owner currently has or what their needs are. In the end, they go with what will make them the most money.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
At last check, telesales could only sell CWA. It's rare they can sell deeded these days, so CWA is most likely what they are discounting. It's also been my experience that in most cases they discount CWA more then deeded points. The reason being is it allows them to offload less desirable inventory. The exception being places like Bentley brook where the maintenance fees are higher then CWA. They might discount Bentley brook more to entice people to buy deeded. Of course, all this depends on what the owner currently has or what their needs are. In the end, they go with what will make them the most money.

That's what I thought the case was; the $40 for 15K points was what made me wonder. That's a pretty inexpensive difference that I figured could only be due to a difference in the MF costs associated with what the 64K contract was as compared to the 49K contract.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
That's what I thought the case was; the $40 for 15K points was what made me wonder. That's a pretty inexpensive difference that I figured could only be due to a difference in the MF costs associated with what the 64K contract was as compared to the 49K contract.

Probably because a lot of people only ask for 49,000 to PIC. If I were to PIC to VIP, I would prefer 49,000 over 64,000 even if they costed the same because CWA has high MF. The biggest benefit of PIC other than VIP is to have low MF points.

bryjake

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access, Midtown 45
Just curious...
These prices typically reflect cwa
That makes sense

What are some typical cws current prices?
I suspect location, location, rooms, and amenities are important variables for the pricing

Last edited:

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
Just curious...
These prices typically reflect cwa
That makes sense

What are some typical cws current prices?
I suspect location, location, rooms, and amenities are important variables for the pricing

Retail from Wyndham? I know National Harbor (NH) points sell for between $170-180/1000 points depending on volume of points purchased. This was the price I was offered the last update I attended while at NH in Jan 2020. That’s a fairly popular lower MF resort location of course. I’ve also seen Clearwater prices in this same range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

capital city

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Panama City 520k

Club Access 801k
Everyone bashes CWA but I'm glad I picked up a CWA contract. I have a St Thomas Limetree 1 br next February, 1 br Mardi gras, and 2 br Daytona Beach for Daytona 500 next year all because of my CWA contract. Its not absurdly higher than average mf. If I were going VIP I'd buy all CWA on top of the pics and offset the higher mf with the pics and lower mf resales. You could have 2 million points with $5/thousand mf, VIP, and arp to just about every resort if needed.

bryjake

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access, Midtown 45
Everyone bashes CWA but I'm glad I picked up a CWA contract. I have a St Thomas Limetree 1 br next February, 1 br Mardi gras, and 2 br Daytona Beach for Daytona 500 next year all because of my CWA contract. Its not absurdly higher than average mf. If I were going VIP I'd buy all CWA on top of the pics and offset the higher mf with the pics and lower mf resales. You could have 2 million points with $5/thousand mf, VIP, and arp to just about every resort if needed.

Thank you for expressing thia point
I also own cwa and throughly enjoy the product

I am grateful for this forum, I continue to learn about further enhancing my timeshare experience

If there is a criticism of this forum, it would be all the min/max extremes. I enjoy and am happy with both Wyndham and cwa.

Not everyone had the opportunity to get resale from back in the day when resale counted for vip

I am learning to be happy with the current as is system

I am hoping Wyndham will continue to grow and evolve even better

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs

You are a good example of knowing what works for you and that's very important. I've been guilty of bashing but I do try to explain how important it is to know your needs.

We have 1,975,000 points on even years which includes a small amount of CWA points. Our combined maintenance fees are $5.46 with the program fees. If all our points were CWA at $6.92 per thousand with the program fee our maintenance fees would be $2,865.08 more than we currently pay. That $2865.08 would pay the maintenance fees on an additional 523,847 points at our current maintenance fee rate. We can take several really nice vacations with $2865 or with 523,847 points.

However I have to add a but. But we don't need a peak week like the week of Christmas/New Years or one of the busiest weeks of the summer at a high demand resort or a 3 or 4 bedroom unit. We've owned for 18 years and my husband only retired two years ago. Another but is that even before we retired our jobs allowed us to be somewhat flexible about taking vacation time so I didn't need or even want to plan vacations way in advance. For the last three years I've planned only one vacation a year, a family vacation with our son and his family, that I use ARP to book. Other than that I've been able to book the stays we wanted within the 60 day discount and upgrade window.

Before anyone gets too impressed that I'm able to consistently put our stays together in 60 days or less before the check in dates I have to explain a couple of things. I'm amazed at people who can plan vacations a year out or even 6 months out. In the 18 years we've owned if I plan something that far out I can almost guarantee you that something will come up and the plans will have to be changed or scrapped altogether. Also I put a fair amount of time and effort into putting our stays together. Not everyone has the time nor the inclination to do that. And to make my planning more complicated my husband really doesn't want to have to move units and I'm not fond of it either.

In November/December we had a 22 night trip to Kauai. We flew to Portland and spent 2 nights at the resort there before flying to Kauai. On Kauai we had 18 nights split between Ka Eo Kai and Kauai Beach Villas. On the way home we broke up the long flight back home to Florida with 2 nights at Harbor Lights in San Diego. In January/February we had a 9 night stay in a two bedroom presidential unit at the St. Thomas, VI, Margaritaville resort. We have an 18 night stay at Glacier Canyon in Wisconsin starting later this month that I put together with various family, in-laws and friends joining us at different times. I didn't start out with that long of a stay but what the heck, why not if it's available. Wisconsin and water parks with the granddaughters sure beats Florida in late July/early August.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am hoping Wyndham will continue to grow and evolve even better
We owned since the early '90s when it was Fairfield, points were new to the industry and were cheap. I think there were only six resorts then. LQQk at it now.

capital city

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Panama City 520k

Club Access 801k
You are a good example of knowing what works for you and that's very important. I've been guilty of bashing but I do try to explain how important it is to know your needs.

We have 1,975,000 points on even years which includes a small amount of CWA points. Our combined maintenance fees are $5.46 with the program fees. If all our points were CWA at $6.92 per thousand with the program fee our maintenance fees would be $2,865.08 more than we currently pay. That $2865.08 would pay the maintenance fees on an additional 523,847 points at our current maintenance fee rate. We can take several really nice vacations with $2865 or with 523,847 points.

However I have to add a but. But we don't need a peak week like the week of Christmas/New Years or one of the busiest weeks of the summer at a high demand resort or a 3 or 4 bedroom unit. We've owned for 18 years and my husband only retired two years ago. Another but is that even before we retired our jobs allowed us to be somewhat flexible about taking vacation time so I didn't need or even want to plan vacations way in advance. For the last three years I've planned only one vacation a year, a family vacation with our son and his family, that I use ARP to book. Other than that I've been able to book the stays we wanted within the 60 day discount and upgrade window.

Before anyone gets too impressed that I'm able to consistently put our stays together in 60 days or less before the check in dates I have to explain a couple of things. I'm amazed at people who can plan vacations a year out or even 6 months out. In the 18 years we've owned if I plan something that far out I can almost guarantee you that something will come up and the plans will have to be changed or scrapped altogether. Also I put a fair amount of time and effort into putting our stays together. Not everyone has the time nor the inclination to do that. And to make my planning more complicated my husband really doesn't want to have to move units and I'm not fond of it either.

In November/December we had a 22 night trip to Kauai. We flew to Portland and spent 2 nights at the resort there before flying to Kauai. On Kauai we had 18 nights split between Ka Eo Kai and Kauai Beach Villas. On the way home we broke up the long flight back home to Florida with 2 nights at Harbor Lights in San Diego. In January/February we had a 9 night stay in a two bedroom presidential unit at the St. Thomas, VI, Margaritaville resort. We have an 18 night stay at Glacier Canyon in Wisconsin starting later this month that I put together with various family, in-laws and friends joining us at different times. I didn't start out with that long of a stay but what the heck, why not if it's available. Wisconsin and water parks with the granddaughters sure beats Florida in late July/early August.

Your right, definitely every one has different objectives with their timeshare. I just stick up for CWA every now and then because it usually gets no love. My main point about buying it retail is that its so much cheaper then the lower mf resorts. For example if I were to go VIP platinum I could do 2 pics and have a little over 500,000 points if I combined that with 500,000 Cwa it would cost roughly 70k, if I combined it with national harbor it might be 90k. I would guess (haven't looked at current mf) I would save 1k per year in mf? So it would take 20 years before i would start to lose but I would have 500k points available for arp to just about anywhere every year.

It's funny you say something would always come up by planning in advance and have to cancel. Its the opposite for me. I'm self employed and I have to book in advance and lock my mind into it or else something would always come up or money wouldn't be right if I'm looking 30 days ahead.

Last edited:

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
Your right, definitely every one has different objectives with their timeshare. I just stick up for CWA every now and then because it usually gets no love. My main point about buying it retail is that its so much cheaper then the lower mf resorts. For example if I were to go VIP platinum I could do 2 pics and have a little over 500,000 points if I combined that with 500,000 Cwa it would cost roughly 70k, if I combined it with national harboring it might be 90k. I would guess (haven't looked at current mf) I would save 1k per year in mf? So it would take 20 years before i would start to lose but I would have 500k points available for arp to just about anywhere every year.

It's funny you say something would always come up by planning in advance and have to cancel. Its the opposite for me. I'm self employed and I have to book in advance and lock my mind into it or else something would always come up or money wouldn't be right if I'm looking 30 days ahead.

For someone that is in their 30's or 40's, 20 years is nothing. 60's and 70's a different story because even if they do live until their 90, they often end up with medical conditions that limit their ability to travel or where they travel too.

Also, you $1,000 a year assumes the gap remains the same for those 20 years. Even if they both increase 5%, five percent is bigger on $7 and $5. I choose those numbers for easy math. $7-$5=$2 per 1,000 gap. Increase 5% the next year and you get $7.35 - $5.25 = $2.10 cent gap. Now the savings is $1,050. Let's say it increases by 5% every year for the next 20 years. Your maintenance fees are $18.57 and $13.27 (assuming I did my math right). That's a $2,650 savings at year 20. Since the gap increases every year, the savings get bigger. It would take less than 20 years to make up that difference in costs

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For someone that is in their 30's or 40's, 20 years is nothing. 60's and 70's a different story because even if they do live until their 90, they often end up with medical conditions that limit their ability to travel or where they travel too.

Also, you $1,000 a year assumes the gap remains the same for those 20 years. Even if they both increase 5%, five percent is bigger on $7 and $5. I choose those numbers for easy math. $7-$5=$2 per 1,000 gap. Increase 5% the next year and you get $7.35 - $5.25 = $2.10 cent gap. Now the savings is $1,050. Let's say it increases by 5% every year for the next 20 years. Your maintenance fees are $18.57 and $13.27 (assuming I did my math right). That's a $2,650 savings at year 20. Since the gap increases every year, the savings get bigger. It would take less than 20 years to make up that difference in costs

The math is right, but you haven't accounted for the time value of money; ~2-3% is probably a good value to use for inflation since that's the fed target range, or at least used to be. In any case, with Wyndham we were not the best informed when we initially purchased (CWA), then traded those in for Bali Hai during a visit there in the next year at the same price by chance. I know we paid too much for those as retail purchases, but have added more Bali Hai points through retail plus just enough retail CWA to get us to VIPG. My guess, though, is that most folks that are buying retail aren't actually knowledgeable enough about the different up front and MF costs to make intelligent decisions, so a lot of us just rationalize why what we have works for us and is good. I'm happy to have TUG as a resource to help me make future decision, of course; it's not always just about the costs, though.

Drssongbird

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham, Fireside by Spinnaker
Your right, definitely every one has different objectives with their timeshare. I just stick up for CWA every now and then because it usually gets no love. My main point about buying it retail is that its so much cheaper then the lower mf resorts. For example if I were to go VIP platinum I could do 2 pics and have a little over 500,000 points if I combined that with 500,000 Cwa it would cost roughly 70k, if I combined it with national harbor it might be 90k. I would guess (haven't looked at current mf) I would save 1k per year in mf? So it would take 20 years before i would start to lose but I would have 500k points available for arp to just about anywhere every year.

So we were just at a “member update” and they are trying to convince us to get out of CWA (We are VIPSilver) and convert to Select/National Harbor so that we can use 250K points a year to pay for our maintenance fees. Sales rep says he gets a check for $10,000 every year doing that. I’m assuming that’s through Extra Holidays. It would cost us $47k to do this. He’s saying the extra we pay in MF in Access will be saved by going Select. Anybody have experience with this? We would then have 700,000 points - more than we need to vacation and we are in our 60’s!

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
The math doesn’t work out. It never does. Wyndham math is fuzzy. Ask him to take a pencil to paper and show you. He can’t.