• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Flamingos in NV-Is this good for older couple?

tartanwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some older friends are looking for a vacation in Mexico, and I would like to rent one of our weeks at Villa del Palmar.

At this time, there is limited availability in Feb at VDP in PV or Cabo , but I might be able to reserve a unit for them in late Feburary at the VDP Flamingos in Nuevo Vallarta.

My questions:

Their main objective is to find sun (we live in the Pacific northwest--extra soggy this year).

Is the Flamingos a good site for an older couple? I imagine they would use the pool, but I'm not sure how much other activity they are up to.

Could they get around the resort easily or is there a lot of walking involved?
They walk but I'm not sure if they can handle long distances.

Is the resort still under construction? How noisy is it now?

They have not been to PV area before, so I imagine they will want to do some light sight-seeing. I assume that they could get around by taxi.

Any there other things I should consider before offering this resort to them?

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

Bonnie

Last edited:

Paula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bonnie: hi, we are here at the Flamingos right now, and will be here until March 9th. The weather is great and the resort excellent for any age group. We are early retired also. We have our family with us right now and they love it also. Yes, your friends would love any one of the pools all kind of run into each other, shallow, medium and 4ft, the shallow part has a sloping grade which they can walk slowly into the water. Lovely restuarant on site, with small shop/market place, also a pool side light food restaurant for breakfast or lunch if they don't want to cook. Units are wonderful, 1bdrm, king bed, tub, shower, toilet all separate, and another shower and toilet , lovely kitchen with dishwasher and washer and dryer. Studios 2 burner, MW, small fridge, two double beds, tv, bthrm. When you request their unit ask for B1 or B3, they are the buildings closest to the beach, but all units have a lovely view of sea or pools. Main building lobby, looks straight to the sea but further to walk for them to the beach. If they don't want to travel to town they would be quite happy staying at the resort. Hope I have been of some help to you. Any further questions just post, I have my laptop with me.

Calyn79

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Paula
Just the person who can fill me in with some info on getting into PV from Flamingos either via bus or taxi and is that something you'd do more than just a few times? I've been considering renting a car and driving from the resort and parking at the Walmart and then bus in further. We love to go out for an evening meal and the NV area sounds a ways away, expensive and limiting. We've never been to the PV area before and do wish to do some exploring. Is there an easy to get to bus stop close by the resort - going either way - south or north? We are approaching our mid-50s.

Is there still construction at the resort? I've booked two weeks on exchange for late Dec2006. All the later trip reports really haven't mentioned it.

Does the resort right now provide long term stays? I'm simply interested as you say that you're there until March. I have the time to be in the area longer at the end of the year and would be interested to hear your comments on that.

Also, would the 1bedroom work out nicely for a couple to join us, or would it be a hassle for them and for us too?

One more thing - what about travel on foot, bus or taxi to Bucerias for dinners? I don't know that we're into walking too too far though.

Anything you can tell me further about the resort would also be appreciated. Thank you for your kind reply. Happy Holidays! You can also reach me at csalski1@telus.net /Marilynn

Paula

TUG Member
Reaction score
CALYN79: YOU WROTE:

Hi Paula
Just the person who can fill me in with some info on getting into PV from Flamingos either via bus or taxi and is that something you'd do more than just a few times? I've been considering renting a car and driving from the resort and parking at the Walmart and then bus in further. We love to go out for an evening meal and the NV area sounds a ways away, expensive and limiting. We've never been to the PV area before and do wish to do some exploring. Is there an easy to get to bus stop close by the resort - going either way - south or north? We are approaching our mid-50s.

Is there still construction at the resort? I've booked two weeks on exchange for late Dec2006. All the later trip reports really haven't mentioned it.

Does the resort right now provide long term stays? I'm simply interested as you say that you're there until March. I have the time to be in the area longer at the end of the year and would be interested to hear your comments on that.

Also, would the 1bedroom work out nicely for a couple to join us, or would it be a hassle for them and for us too?

One more thing - what about travel on foot, bus or taxi to Bucerias for dinners? I don't know that we're into walking too too far though.

Anything you can tell me further about the resort would also be appreciated. Thank you for your kind reply. Happy Holidays! You can also reach me at csalski1@telus.net /Marilynn

Hi, At the moment we have our family here who live in Comox. We are also early retirees.

It's very easy to get into town from Flamingos, either by bus right outside the door or taxi, it's 200ps from Flamingos to town, bus 15 psc. We go into town about twice a week. There is a big Wallmart and Sams Club for food with big and safe parking lt. Easy to go North to Punta Mita or South to Mismoloya(excuse spelling).

We rented a car from our home base in Vancouver through Alamo online for two weeks, the cost was 220.00 total for each week, easy to do.

Thats what we do we drive straight to VDP in PV and leave the car in their parking lot where it is safe and just hop a bus into town or old town, which is great for restaurants etc.

There is construction of the new self owned condos which are next door going on at the moment but you hardly know it, the VDP FLAMINGOS itself is all finished, spa to be completed by April. Self owned condo construction will be finished next year that is the first phase. Second phase 2008/9.

We are here for 2 months.

The 1 bdrm is lovely, big master with everything I mentioned above. The living room has a queen size murphy bed, I have my two grandchildren sleeping on it right now, their parents are in the master bedrm. we are using the second bedrm. lockoff, we had a two bedroom this year for the first 14 days, then a 1 bdrm. for 6 weeks.

There are two bthrms. so if you don't mind another couple in the living room it will be fine, the best option is to take a 2 bdrm. then they and you will have independent sleeping and eating arrangements if needed. If you are family or use to travelling together then it would work.

My husband walks to Bucerias each day for exercise.

If I have left anything out just post again, I am rushing to get the little ones down to the pool. Paula :)

Calyn79

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you Paula.
I'm SO looking forward to our time at VDP with all that you said. The resort and area sounds absolutely wonderful. I appreciate hearing from you while there. From what you've said, it will be fine for us to invite our close BC sailing friends to join us in the 1bd. for the 2 wks. (Dec06). We used to live in Vancouver and sailed constantly around the south coast until a few years ago. Now we live, work and moor in Port Hardy. In 2 yrs time at 55 we hope to retire.

Are the best buildings to be in B1 or B3? I have my confirmation from II, however, it just states UUU1 on both my weeks. Do you thnk that closer to arrival I should make a request to the resort for a room assignment prior to arrival? Likely the weeks prior to Xmas. will be a very busy time.

One more question - what insurance coverage did you put on the rental car. Did you forego the 'optional' part of the insurance and use a credit card or take the full Mexican insurance? I'm nervous about renting a car in Mexico. It will be our 1st time to the PV area and our prior trips to other places in Mexico we have not needed a car. I'm not nervious about driving there so much, more the little parking scrape from another car while it is left at Walmart or at the resort if you have to use valet parking. Do they charge for parking at the resort? And would you drive right into PV? or not? Is parking in PV hard to find and just not worth the hassels or accident?

Also, the debate is on right now whether to spend another 2 wks in the NV area or go into PV for a week and further up the coast for the other week, perhaps Sayulita way, or spend two weeks up the coast.

While you are catching the Mexican sun, you can smile and know that Vancouver and area (yup, that for sure includes us too) is still very soggy....it simply will not let up this year. I think Abbotsford still has its record running for the number of rainy days and they are approaching 40! Thanks for all your info. /Marilynn

Paula

TUG Member
Reaction score
CALYN79, Hi Marilyn, I have sent you an email explaining more, glad to be of help to you, any more questions just post or email us. We are here at the VDP FLAMINGOS to March 9th.

tartanwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
Paula,

Thank you for the information. Not sure whether this couple will be able to use it this winter, but I am looking forward to going to the Flamingos ourselves some time in the future.

It sounds especially inviting right now as I head out for work on another dark, rainy morning.

Paula

TUG Member
Reaction score
NAZCIK: we bought 4 weeks 1 bdrm. so took 8 this year because we had quite a few sitting there, next year will take 6 and two at Paradise Village we have a few weeks banked there also, have to use them up, not getting any younger. We have to have our two months of warm weather and to get out of the rain and miserable days in Vancouver. :D

stugy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Paula
I've enjoyed reading these posts since we are scheduled to arrive on Feb. 25th for 2 weeks. Can you email me so I can ask some additional questions.
thanks
Pat

Paula

TUG Member
Reaction score
stugy: you wrote: Hi Paula
I've enjoyed reading these posts since we are scheduled to arrive on Feb. 25th for 2 weeks. Can you email me so I can ask some additional questions.
thanks
Pat

Hi Pat, can't seem to send you an email - it says not allowed, or something like that sorry I tried. P. :confused:

Paula

TUG Member
Reaction score
ITCHYFEET: Hi, tried to post some pics of the resort but it said 'file to big' and I can't fathom out how to reduce my picture size for adding to this post, have never added pictures before, need help or advice on that one. Anyway, will give you any information I can. P. :)

stugy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Paula,
I changed profile to receive email.......can you try again.
Pat

Paula

TUG Member
Reaction score
stugy: OK, I sent you an email. Any questions just post, I will try to help re VDP FLAMINGOS RESORT, Regards P.

blr666

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are there internet service in the rooms? Thanks.

Paula

TUG Member
Reaction score
blr666 said:
Are there internet service in the rooms? Thanks.

Hi Bir666, I was there for two months this year in our two bedroom, and yes, I used my laptop everyday, plugged into high speed cable in the wall plug just above the kitchen Island, although not in the lockoff(studio) However, although there was no charge early this year, they now have a charge I hear, it's about 15.00 per day(could be less, it's being discussed at the Annual Meeting on October 28th), so needless to say we wont be using it next year every day that is. We will just plug in twice a week. After saying that I must let you know there is an excellent net café right on site, just as you come out of the front entrance to the right in the Market Place, new computers about 8 of them and fast, about $6.00 per hour approximately excellent for picking up and replying to mail etc, that price could have gone up. This was in Feb/March of this year. I did take my laptop onto the balcony a few times and found a couple of wireless networks within range so that might work for you also, Good luck, and enjoy the Flamingos. We are booked in again next Feb./March for another wonderful 6 weeks.

blr666

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Paula, Thanks for the info. $15 a day is kinda steep, but my husband and I are addicts. I wonder if we have to pay for the wireless networks. Did they belong to the hotel? We are going on Saturday. I can't wait. Thanks again.

Paula

TUG Member
Reaction score
blr666 said:
Hi Paula, Thanks for the info. $15 a day is kinda steep, but my husband and I are addicts. I wonder if we have to pay for the wireless networks. Did they belong to the hotel? We are going on Saturday. I can't wait. Thanks again.

bir66, Hi again, it's hit and miss to pick up any wireless networks on the sundeck, I managed once to hang on to one long enough to send an email to our son, then someone close by must have closed down their computer. Please find out the cost it should be installed by management now and post details for me, next year our friends are taking their wireless router and I will be able to tap into that, I hope, LOL, thanks again, have a wonderful time. P.

hoosiermarty

TUG Member
Reaction score
We go downtown and on the backstreet you can get on the internet for $1.00 an hour. We check our email almost everyday as that is how our family keeps in touch with us. We spent 4 to 6 weeks in P.V. in Oct and Nov. I also own at VDP-Flamigos. However, we only have one week there and then we stay at Villa Del Mar on Getaway weeks. Which by the way went from $204.00 to $299.00 per week this yr. (for a studio). I guess more people are learning about them and they can get more for them.

ripshion

Reaction score
All Inclusive costs at the Flamingos?

Does anyone know how much the AI costs are at the Flamingos? I will be vacationing there in early Oct. with my girlfriend and was wondering if it was worth the price. I am considering doing the AI package because of how isolated the resort is from PV and taking a taxi to town everyday can get expensive. I know you can walk to Bucerias and it's restaurants but I don't know if I want to do that everyday, maybe walk there to eat a couple of dinners to break the monotny etc. Any help or insight on this would be appreciated, thanks!

blr666

TUG Member
Reaction score
The AI is $60 and includes some of the buffet nights. We didn't do it, so I don't know the specifics.

blr666

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Paula, we just got back last night from the Flamingos. We asked three people (maid, bell hop, and front desk) and none of them knew anything about the internet access in the room. Language was not a problem since my husband is fluent in Spanish. The internet cafe is now $9 an hour or 3 hours for $26. We managed to find the free wireless connection in our room several times. Although I had to sit a specific way and the laptop had to be pointed in a specific direction. It was slow but it works and it is free.

Paula

TUG Member
Reaction score
blr666 said:
Hi Paula, we just got back last night from the Flamingos. We asked three people (maid, bell hop, and front desk) and none of them knew anything about the internet access in the room. Language was not a problem since my husband is fluent in Spanish. The internet cafe is now $9 an hour or 3 hours for $26. We managed to find the free wireless connection in our room several times. Although I had to sit a specific way and the laptop had to be pointed in a specific direction. It was slow but it works and it is free.

Hi bir666, thanks for update; as I said we used the high speed cable internet service this year in the unit, it's the plug at the end of the kitchen island underneath the kitchen cabinet which is full of glasses(we were in Building 1) very close to the restaurant, the plus is on the wall. We plugged our laptop in and it worked for our 8 week stay which was wonderful and it was free at that time. However, Octavio Becerra, Member Services Rep told us they were going to start charging a fee of $15.00 per day for useage, I was wondering if that figure had been installed as it was going to be raised at the Annual Meeting on October 28th, we tried to book again for October but the resort was full, so no luck this time, but have booked for 6 weeks in Feb/March of next year. No I don't want to pay $9.00 for an hour either. Thanks for responding, Paula