• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

FL Gulf Coast Availability

Rdub79

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Holliday Inn Club Vacations
I am thinking of getting some hgvc points and was wondering how the availability is for the gulf coast properties. Are these affiliates? We would be looking for 2 bedrooms and we can definitely travel during gold or silver season for these. Also what about the rest of the properties? With advanced planning and schedule flexibility would we be able to go anywhere we want? It seems that the urban locations are difficult to trade into but that’s ok because they are not high on my list anyway.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I am thinking of getting some hgvc points and was wondering how the availability is for the gulf coast properties. Are these affiliates?

Yes, they are affiliates and hard to book. HGVC owners (not all are HGVC owners at these Florida affiliates) must release their week into the club in order for it to become available. Obviously, it does happen but I wouldn't join HGVC if your plan was to only travel to Florida Gulf properties. I would suggest purchasing there instead.

Also what about the rest of the properties?

In general, it is good if you plan ahead. Club booking window opens at 9 months out for most properties, so that is when you will have the best availability.

It seems that the urban locations are difficult to trade into but that’s ok because they are not high on my list anyway.

Actually, the urban properties (by Hilton Club or bHC) is a separate club within HGV. It has its own sets of rules depending upon if you own there or not.

Rdub79

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you for this info. What about the festiva Mexico affiliates? Are they difficult to trade into?

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
What about the festiva Mexico affiliates?

No, it is pretty easy. We have traveled to FA-Los Cabo for 4 out of the past 5 years during the whale season (February timeframe). It is actually our favorite resort in the system. However, now FA-Los Cabos is AI (All-Inclusive) at about $100/day/pp so we are renting this year. Please note that FA resorts have an exchange agreement with HGVC so this agreement can change or be canceled at any time.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I am thinking of getting some hgvc points and was wondering how the availability is for the gulf coast properties. Are these affiliates? We would be looking for 2 bedrooms and we can definitely travel during gold or silver season for these. Also what about the rest of the properties? With advanced planning and schedule flexibility would we be able to go anywhere we want? It seems that the urban locations are difficult to trade into but that’s ok because they are not high on my list anyway.
Being your travel is flexible buying a flex week at an hgvc Marco Island affiliate is a path you can consider. Buying Cost is minimal, you will know you will be guaranteed to go to a sw Florida resort, membership in hgvc is voluntary so if you find you keep using your resort you don’t have to be a member and some of the affiliates also trade in Interval.

Rdub79

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am wanting to get a points contract with the lowest maintenance fees possible, so I’m not sure how the gulf properties stack up. I’ll have to do some research. Really as long as I could trade in every two or three years I’d be happy. There are a lot of other properties I would want to go to as well. Hilton Head, Hawaii, Colorado and some others.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
I am wanting to get a points contract with the lowest maintenance fees possible, so I’m not sure how the gulf properties stack up. I’ll have to do some research. Really as long as I could trade in every two or three years I’d be happy. There are a lot of other properties I would want to go to as well. Hilton Head, Hawaii, Colorado and some others.

If that’s your aim, than you should look at Vegas or Craigendarroch in Scotland. @GT75 has a great spreadsheet that lists the best point per MF’s in the system.

Rdub79

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks dayooper Yes I was going to look at a Vegas contract. Does anyone have any insight on the probability of being able to get a beach front 2B Marco Island resort exchange through the network? Our schedule is very flexible so we could take any week January through May.

natarajanv

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jan to March is the snowbirds season and will be hard to get an exchange. I have got an exchange for week 51 there couple years ago.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

rdw95

Reaction score
We wanted a guaranteed week in SW Florida, and one that we could drive to from our home just outside Orlando, so we ended up purchasing at Tortuga. We tried to book SW resorts for several years, but the availability was always tough. We looked at several HGV resorts on Sanabel and further south. Tortuga is a wonderful resort, with only 4 stories, so it does not have that large condo feel. Parking is on the ground floor, so the living space is the 2nd, 3rd and 4th story. Most of the owners there have owned for quite some time, and we were welcomed like family this year when we went for our first time to the owners meeting. We met owners who have been coming since the 80's and still love coming every year. The owner's meeting there is truly an "owners meeting", that went over all that was happening and planned for the resort. Plus, there was no sales pitch or meeting. The beach is wonderful, and there is a great pool. Something is always cooking at lunch, so you just sign up a day ahead of time for burgers, dogs, etc. The also had "adult drinks" too! The buy-in there is actually pretty low, plus since the agent there is a Hilton authorized agent, any points goes towards Hilton Grand Vacation status if you are wanting for that. Our designated week is always ours, unless we release it for the points, which we don't plan on releasing. All in all we are very happy with our purchase, and already look forward to our week next year.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not hgvc but there were foreclosures at Vanderbilt beach and harbor club in Naples for three or four thousand dollars, they are fixed weeks. A very nice resort in a great location

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

There is no guarantee that you will be able to book every two or three years during the Club Reservation Window.

Here’s how GTLINZ described availability in an older thread (link)
The issue with the west coast HGVC units is that they are afflilates. A HGVC built unit automatically comes available at 9 months out if the owner does not make their "home reservation" between 12 and 9 months out. An affiliate unit is basically a fixed or floating week that does not come into HGVC inventory unless the owner turns it in (or the resort does for whatever reason). And you will find a relatively high percentage of these affiliate week owner who do not opt into HGVC. So the bottom line is that the inventory pool is much smaller. And the inventory can show up 1-2 months out before the owner hits some deadline to NOT be able to turn the unit in for points. So you have to keep looking. But if you travel off season (May, Oct-Nov) the points are lower and your chances are much better.

I have been able to find and book a unit at 2 different Marco locations in offseason (sep-nov) but I had to work at it. The last one was much easier because I saw online it was coming available a little over 9 months out because of the new online feature.
NOTE: HGVC just gave members online booking access to the Florida affiliates this year and as expected there wasn’t much available across all 9 months. See this thread titled “Booking Florida Gulf and Plantation Beach Club online is here!!!!!” - https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...-plantation-beach-club-online-is-here.285941/

Almost all of the Florida affiliates existed before HGVC was created. The Florida affiliates are smaller resorts where HGVC membership is not mandatory. The total number of units and members at each of the Florida Affiliates is listed below.

Here’s what I posted in another thread
The HGVC Florida affiliate properties are older, smaller, well maintained resorts.
The Marriott Crystal Shore property is a newer mega resort in comparison.
HGVC has several videos which will give you an idea.
Number units at each location from the HGVC Disclosure Agreement:
Captiva Island, Florida
The Cottages at South Seas Island Resort [14 units]
Harbourview Villas at South Seas Island Resort [10 units]
Plantation Bay Villas at South Seas Island Resort [4 units]
Plantation Beach Club at South Seas Island Resort (I, II & III) [56 units]
Plantation House at South Seas Island Resort [12 units]
South Seas Club at South Seas Island Resort [24 units]
Estero Island, Florida
Seawatch On-the-Beach Resort [42 units]
Hutchinson Island, Florida
Plantation Beach Club at Indian River Plantation Resort [30 units]
Marco Island, Florida
Club Regency of Marco Island [32 units]
Eagle's Nest Beach Resort [96 units]
The Surf Club of Marco [44 units]
The Charter Club of Marco Beach [80 units]
Sunset Cove Resort [36 units]
Sanibel Island, Florida
Casa Ybel Resort [74 units]
Hurricane House Resort [15 units]
Sanibel Cottages Resort [28 units]
Tortuga Beach Club Resort [54 units]
Shell Island Beach Club Resort [43 units]
Here’s what the HGVC Disclosure document states (see below)
However it doesn’t mean the units make it into the HGVC pool on any given year. These owners could use their week, rent it, or deposit it with an exchange company (II, RCI, SFX, etc).

VIII. CLUB MEMBERS PARTICIPATING IN THE CLUB
Affiliated Resorts with 1 - 100 Members
Casa Ybel Resort
Cottages at South Seas
Hurricane House
Plantation Bay Villas
Plantation Beach Club (I, II and III)
Plantation House
Sea Watch On-The-Beach
The South Seas Club
Tortuga Beach Club
Harbourview Villas at South Seas Island Resort

Affiliated Resorts with 101 - 249 Members
Club Regency of Marco Island
Plantation Beach Club at Indian River Plantation
Sanibel Cottages
Shell Island Beach Club
The Surf Club of Marco
Affiliated Resorts with 250 - 499 Members
Charter Club
Eagle’s Nest Resort

Affiliated Resorts with 500 - 999 Members
Sunset Cove

Last edited:

tpdgfmt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Panina and RDW95 are correct. The likelihood that you will be able to use HGVC points to trade into the SW Florida HGVC resorts is low and inventory that shows up is mostly off-season. Many of the owners at these resorts were owners before Hilton took over Mariner, they were not required to join HGVC, and they mostly don't trade with RCI or II, either. In many cases if they don't want to use their weeks, they can rent them for more than their maintenance fees and taxes. They tend to get to know some of their fellow owners and the resorts become an important part of their lives. In my opinion there are some good buys for weeks at some of these resorts, but no matter the price, I'm sure it is possible to find weeks at HGVC properties in Las Vegas and Orlando, and perhaps other areas, for less, with lower maintenance fees as well. Most people who own at HGVC affiliates in SW Florida would say it is worth it to pay more for what they get, but not everyone looking at buying additional points will agree. If a person doesn't own in SW Florida and can't find inventory in the HGVC system, remember that the resorts in Hawaii, South Carolina and South Beach also provide nice beach vacations. And the Carlsbad, California, HGVC resorts are not far from the beach, either.

Rdub79

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you for all the great information everyone. This will definitely help me make an informed decision. Merry Christmas.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Not hgvc but there were foreclosures at Vanderbilt beach and harbor club in Naples for three or four thousand dollars, they are fixed weeks. A very nice resort in a great location

I will second that... Vanderbilt Beach and Harbor cCub in Naples is a nice resort... It's an older resort with out all of the bells and whistles of the new resorts but it's in a great location for a low buy in if you purchase one of the foreclosed weeks...During the week I stayed there they sold 3 units... These units seem to hold their value as I've been looking and watching the sales at these units for a few years...

One of the folks I meet at the pool, told me their parents purchased their unit for $3K on the gulf side over 15 years ago and when they passed this year they sold the unit for $20K and used those funds to buy 3 weeks in the same unit on the bay side...

Rdub79

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Where can you find information on purchasing one of these foreclosed units?

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where can you find information on purchasing one of these foreclosed units?
I would call thevresort and ask for the number to contact Pat, the saleswoman. She is also an owner and stayed there the week we were there

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
...Many of the owners at these resorts were owners before Hilton took over Mariner...

In the beginning... Hilton partnered with Mariner to create+run HGVC.
Mariner peep sat at the controls. Their TS's affiliated to form its backbone.
After a few years, Hilton took over the partnership... and kept the affiliates.
Mariner moved on to other things. -- TMI ? --

Last edited:

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is no guarantee that you will be able to book every two or three years during the Club Reservation Window.

Here’s how GTLINZ described availability in an older thread (link)
The issue with the west coast HGVC units is that they are afflilates. A HGVC built unit automatically comes available at 9 months out if the owner does not make their "home reservation" between 12 and 9 months out. An affiliate unit is basically a fixed or floating week that does not come into HGVC inventory unless the owner turns it in (or the resort does for whatever reason). And you will find a relatively high percentage of these affiliate week owner who do not opt into HGVC. So the bottom line is that the inventory pool is much smaller. And the inventory can show up 1-2 months out before the owner hits some deadline to NOT be able to turn the unit in for points. So you have to keep looking. But if you travel off season (May, Oct-Nov) the points are lower and your chances are much better.

I have been able to find and book a unit at 2 different Marco locations in offseason (sep-nov) but I had to work at it. The last one was much easier because I saw online it was coming available a little over 9 months out because of the new online feature.
NOTE: HGVC just gave members online booking access to the Florida affiliates this year and as expected there wasn’t much available across all 9 months. See this thread titled “Booking Florida Gulf and Plantation Beach Club online is here!!!!!” - https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...-plantation-beach-club-online-is-here.285941/

Almost all of the Florida affiliates existed before HGVC was created. The Florida affiliates are smaller resorts where HGVC membership is not mandatory. The total number of units and members at each of the Florida Affiliates is listed below.

Here’s what I posted in another thread
The HGVC Florida affiliate properties are older, smaller, well maintained resorts.
The Marriott Crystal Shore property is a newer mega resort in comparison.
HGVC has several videos which will give you an idea.
Number units at each location from the HGVC Disclosure Agreement:
Captiva Island, Florida
The Cottages at South Seas Island Resort [14 units]
Harbourview Villas at South Seas Island Resort [10 units]
Plantation Bay Villas at South Seas Island Resort [4 units]
Plantation Beach Club at South Seas Island Resort (I, II & III) [56 units]
Plantation House at South Seas Island Resort [12 units]
South Seas Club at South Seas Island Resort [24 units]
Estero Island, Florida
Seawatch On-the-Beach Resort [42 units]
Hutchinson Island, Florida
Plantation Beach Club at Indian River Plantation Resort [30 units]
Marco Island, Florida
Club Regency of Marco Island [32 units]
Eagle's Nest Beach Resort [96 units]
The Surf Club of Marco [44 units]
The Charter Club of Marco Beach [80 units]
Sunset Cove Resort [36 units]
Sanibel Island, Florida
Casa Ybel Resort [74 units]
Hurricane House Resort [15 units]
Sanibel Cottages Resort [28 units]
Tortuga Beach Club Resort [54 units]
Shell Island Beach Club Resort [43 units]
Here’s what the HGVC Disclosure document states (see below)
However it doesn’t mean the units make it into the HGVC pool on any given year. These owners could use their week, rent it, or deposit it with an exchange company (II, RCI, SFX, etc).

VIII. CLUB MEMBERS PARTICIPATING IN THE CLUB
Affiliated Resorts with 1 - 100 Members
Casa Ybel Resort
Cottages at South Seas
Hurricane House
Plantation Bay Villas
Plantation Beach Club (I, II and III)
Plantation House
Sea Watch On-The-Beach
The South Seas Club
Tortuga Beach Club
Harbourview Villas at South Seas Island Resort