• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Fixed length RTU timeshares

gravityrules

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MROP
Why doesn't the TS industry sell fixed length RTU contracts? I understand some systems like Disney may have an end defined but it seems most of the systems do not.

There's a demographic wave coming, or already here, that is going to make selling perpetual, open ended contracts, particularly to existing 'members', more difficult.

Wouldn't it make sense (and be profitable) to offer 10 year, 15 year, 20 year contracts? Wouldn't that also lower the default rate and put a dent in the TS exit scams?

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seems to me that TS companies would rather have you locked in for MFs for life rather than having them automatically revert at the end of a term, in which case the developer becomes responsible for those MFs until they can get them resold. I think the goal is to have us on the hook for MFs for the longest possible period, realizing that most perpetual deeds really are RTUs measured by the owner's life, at which time they are mostly likely to become non-performing and then thrown back into the pool. I'm guessing marketing and resale require a substantial amount of budget to maintain in place, so why would the developers and association sign up for that?

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
For most timeshare developers, the rate-limiting step is not the availability of inventory, but the willingness of a buyer to buy. Recycling inventory every ten (or fifteen or twenty) years doesn't really help them, but the DVC-style end dates (50 years) also don't really provide the exit that you seem to have in mind.

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
Why doesn't
Totally non-PC, but the TS industry sells full-price developer deeds to suckers. Once you get the sucker on your hook, why would you want to let him/her/them off after only 10 yrs? Hook em. Hook em good. Besides, what would happen to the "Lifetime of Awesome Vacations" pitch?

maybe more PC: selling $40K ... $50K ... $100K TS contracts is a predatory practice. There is not a fundamental exchange of equal value to it. Predators do not just take a nibble.

gravityrules

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MROP
Totally non-PC, but the TS industry sells full-price developer deeds to suckers. Once you get the sucker on your hook, why would you want to let him/her/them off after only 10 yrs? Hook em. Hook em good. Besides, what would happen to the "Lifetime of Awesome Vacations" pitch?

maybe more PC: selling $40K ... $50K ... $100K TS contracts is a predatory practice. There is not a fundamental exchange of equal value to it. Predators do not just take a nibble.

Aren't the majority of developers selling some form of RTU, i.e. points?

Yes, they can keep working the same 'model' but the marks are aging out. At some point the revenue from this model will decline. A term limited RTU is effectively a lifetime of vacations if you're a boomer.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I had a RTU that expired and I have another that expires in 2029.
It makes sense especially because we are in our 70 s now. We want to keep traveling as long as we can. Lots of fun times ahead hopefully.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why doesn't the TS industry sell fixed length RTU contracts?
Because the idea that developers try to pitch to buyers is that the buyers are buying saleable real estate. For instance, you would not buy a house with a "fixed length RTU [contract]". It's something that you buy in perpetuity. And if you die while owning the house, this valuable, saleable asset goes to some lucky heir(s). Developers and TS companies try to compare owning a timeshare to owning, rather than renting, a house.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
From what I’ve been told, (not from a salesman) that it’s due to the way the developer has to pay tax on the sale. RTU the tax needs to be paid immediately and deed they can spread it out. I don’t know how accurate that is.

gravityrules

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MROP
I thought the sales pitch had moved away from the concept of real estate ownership to the idea of 'vacation ownership'. Beyond the sales pitch though, what is actually being sold today? Are the trust based points systems (Marriott, Wyndham, etc) deeded ? Is DVC deeded? Does 'deeded' equate to 'real estate ownership'?

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
idk why you equate trust-based pts with RTU, but I don't own TBPts, so maybe I am missing something?????????????
Don't TBPts require an annual payment (MF) in addition to annual member fee?
Do TBPts have a stated limited lifetime membership? ("fixed-length" in your header)

gravityrules

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MROP
Some points based TS systems are overlays on fractional real estate ownership, I expect those owners have deeds.

With a trust based TS system (whether points or weeks) doesn't ownership (and deeds) remain with the trust rather than the member? Perhaps that's only true for some systems. IDK, others more familiar with their system can provide details.

My TS is a membership based perpetual RTU. I do not have a deed.

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are the trust based points systems (Marriott, Wyndham, etc) deeded ? Is DVC deeded? Does 'deeded' equate to 'real estate ownership'?
I don't know about *all* systems, but trust-based points for Marriott, Sheraton and Westin are definitely deeded and are considered to be real estate ownership, with the deeds recorded by the relevant counties just like other real estate.

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Aren't the majority of developers selling some form of RTU, i.e. points?

Yes, they can keep working the same 'model' but the marks are aging out. At some point the revenue from this model will decline. A term limited RTU is effectively a lifetime of vacations if you're a boomer.

In the USA , we have Vacation Internationale that sells rtu's. Our first VI membership expired a couple of years ago. We were able to buy another to take it's place that will expire in about 8 years. Our Mexico memberships are older Premiere membership rtu's that started expiring a couple of years ago. Our last four weeks will be gone by 2030.

I think you are right about the demographic and revenue model. A fixed rtu makes sense in that the resort doesn't have to foreclose and the member eventually is out.

Bill

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
RTU sales are an accounting issue for public companies. For a lease a public company recognizes the revenue from the lease equally over the length of the lease. Whereas for a sale they recognize all the revenue at the time of sale.

It doesn't change the actual economics, but would make their earnings look worse for wall street, which is a high priority for the developers.