• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

First time using a CPA for taxes in years, now this.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
So we met with a CPA in our new town on Tuesday. This year I wanted to give myself a break from doing them myself. He told us he would have the taxes done by Thursday (today) probably and we could just come in and review and sign and he'd file them electronically. Then today we get a call saying they are limiting people contact because of the corona virus and that they are mailing all our original documents back to us with the tax returns and we can review them and call with any questions (or Skype or whatever) and then sign and return them via mail so they can be filed electronically.

I was a bit taken back by this because when we were there Tuesday, no one else was there but the accountant and we stayed in a conference room. He travels between 3 offices- one in Boston, one here and one in Vermont. It also got me thinking well- the postman has to come everyday and drop and pick up mail. He goes to many homes and businesses day in and day out. Then he has to come to our community and go inside the clubhouse and open all the mailboxes. A big envelope like this will just be laid out on a table because it doesn't fit in the mailbox. Now other residents here will pick it up to see who it is addressed to. So a lot of handling is my point.

Then we have to go through all the pages of the return and sign and then mail back to the CPA. Then the mailman has to pick it up and deliver it back to the CPA. I am not seeing where this helps in terms of transmission of the virus. I mean, it is not like there are hundreds of people in this office. It is a very small, local office. Anyway, makes me nervous with all our original documents being put in the mail. With all the craziness going on, hopefully the mail will continue to go through.

BTW- I went to the post office today. The worker there had a cough (so do I still) and I had to go to the bank (to get cash in case of emergencies) and hubby and I went to the supermarket yet again. For a Thursday afternoon it was really busy. The cashiers and bagger- both elderly women! - said it had been crazy busy since they opened.

Got home and saw we got our delivery of Wild Alaskan Salmon and Cod on our front porch. More food storage for the apocalypse! Meanwhile I am so tired lately I haven't felt like cooking! LOL!

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
We are having the taxes done by someone else for the last time (so says Cliff). But we'll see. Our accountant has done them over 20 years so we didn't have to deal with running a business and trying to get the taxes out too. I think she has value beyond just doing the taxes, and is aware of things that we are oblivious to, so I'd keep her on.

The order of TP I placed with Target on Sunday (just so not to be caught without, we are fine for at least a month) isn't slated to be delivered until next Monday when last order was here in two days. So I wonder/worry are they overloaded with online orders, or are they behind in getting shipments into their warehouse.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So we met with a CPA in our new town on Tuesday. This year I wanted to give myself a break from doing them myself. He told us he would have the taxes done by Thursday (today) probably and we could just come in and review and sign and he'd file them electronically. Then today we get a call saying they are limiting people contact because of the corona virus and that they are mailing all our original documents back to us with the tax returns and we can review them and call with any questions (or Skype or whatever) and then sign and return them via mail so they can be filed electronically.

I was a bit taken back by this because when we were there Tuesday, no one else was there but the accountant and we stayed in a conference room. He travels between 3 offices- one in Boston, one here and one in Vermont. It also got me thinking well- the postman has to come everyday and drop and pick up mail. He goes to many homes and businesses day in and day out. Then he has to come to our community and go inside the clubhouse and open all the mailboxes. A big envelope like this will just be laid out on a table because it doesn't fit in the mailbox. Now other residents here will pick it up to see who it is addressed to. So a lot of handling is my point.

Then we have to go through all the pages of the return and sign and then mail back to the CPA. Then the mailman has to pick it up and deliver it back to the CPA. I am not seeing where this helps in terms of transmission of the virus. I mean, it is not like there are hundreds of people in this office. It is a very small, local office. Anyway, makes me nervous with all our original documents being put in the mail. With all the craziness going on, hopefully the mail will continue to go through.

BTW- I went to the post office today. The worker there had a cough (so do I still) and I had to go to the bank (to get cash in case of emergencies) and hubby and I went to the supermarket yet again. For a Thursday afternoon it was really busy. The cashiers and bagger- both elderly women! - said it had been crazy busy since they opened.

Got home and saw we got our delivery of Wild Alaskan Salmon and Cod on our front porch. More food storage for the apocalypse! Meanwhile I am so tired lately I haven't felt like cooking! LOL!
Understand your concern about all your docs in the mail. However, the only thing you need to sign and return is a single page authorization to file your forms electronically. CPA should have given you the option to pick up your docs at a later date.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
... or could have sent them as a pdf file for you to print (or not) and save.

Everything's a tradeoff, it seems. I saw one recommendation that said we should order delivery from restaurants. No, the reply was, the delivery guy might be sick of have bad hygiene. (Maybe the person who put it into the delivery bag wasn't any better?) Better pick it up yourself. Heck, the cook or someone else in the restaurant could be sick ... there's no way to avoid this.

I was thinking how much worse this would have been in about 1985 -- modern age, lots of travel, but no Internet yet. Hard to get quick information, hard to avoid face-to-face interactions. And relatively little understanding about molecular biology.

geekette

Reaction score
....And relatively little understanding about molecular biology.

holy crapoly, I have learned A Lot the past few days just with incidental viewing.

Food thing... trust your gut. You know what to do, do that, without fear or regret.

geekette

Reaction score
corona can live on surfaces for a while, but unless you lick it or touch it and then your eyes or mouth, or sniff it, you should be fine. You could handle it with disposable gloves, ditch those after you have signed, sealed and put into mailbox. dispose of gloves, wash hands, sanitize pen and table, go on with life. I've been fetching mail all week without gloves or concern, and already had habit of washing hands after handling paper.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I've seen court docs emailed, signed electronically and returned by email.
Even court filings are done online. Physically mailing docs is so passe.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I got everything in yesterday's mail. Amazing as I only just spoke to the office Thursday afternoon! We signed the forms and I put them back in the mailbox in our clubhouse today. We are getting refunds so hopefully all will go through quickly. I did not even review the returns. I am just so done with things lately. I figured this is why I hired the CPA. if I start examining the returns I could just as well did them myself. My husband could care less either.

Throughout all this we have been getting deliveries of packages. Vital Choice seafood, amazon, home depot, my pillow, etc. UPS man was really nice yesterday with all the rain he put the big box in our living room as I held the door open.

We had an electrician and his helper here also on Thursday installing a ceiling fan in our bedroom. And the guys were also here Thursday installing the radon mitigation system.

And a guy from Lowes stopped by yesterday to measure for a storm door installation and we will have to go back to Lowes to sign for everything and order the door once we get a call from them. On top of this, we ordered a new mattress so in another week or so we will be having that delivery.

The builder's realtor texted me today asking me if she could show our house to a prospective buyer tomorrow. I didn't really think too much about it and said it would be ok as long as she does not open the basement door as we are doing a radon test to make sure the mitigation system is working. The virus thing only occurred to me later on.

Hubby wanted to go to an event in Concord but decided he had better not. It might have even been cancelled- don't know. He also has an orientation st the sportsman's club he just joined next Satrurday so not sure what will happen with that. We have been in this house for over a month and only gone out for errands and food shopping essentially. Now that we want to finally get out and have a life we can't. But hey, things could be much worse for sure.

I do want to get my hair cut next week, though. Haven't had it cut since we left NY. It's a mess. My husband did go out to the barber the other day. What to do....what to do.....

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I got everything in yesterday's mail. Amazing as I only just spoke to the office Thursday afternoon! We signed the forms and I put them back in the mailbox in our clubhouse today. We are getting refunds so hopefully all will go through quickly. I did not even review the returns. I am just so done with things lately. I figured this is why I hired the CPA. if I start examining the returns I could just as well did them myself. My husband could care less either.

Throughout all this we have been getting deliveries of packages. Vital Choice seafood, amazon, home depot, my pillow, etc. UPS man was really nice yesterday with all the rain he put the big box in our living room as I held the door open.

We had an electrician and his helper here also on Thursday installing a ceiling fan in our bedroom. And the guys were also here Thursday installing the radon mitigation system.

And a guy from Lowes stopped by yesterday to measure for a storm door installation and we will have to go back to Lowes to sign for everything and order the door once we get a call from them. On top of this, we ordered a new mattress so in another week or so we will be having that delivery.

The builder's realtor texted me today asking me if she could show our house to a prospective buyer tomorrow. I didn't really think too much about it and said it would be ok as long as she does not open the basement door as we are doing a radon test to make sure the mitigation system is working. The virus thing only occurred to me later on.

Hubby wanted to go to an event in Concord but decided he had better not. It might have even been cancelled- don't know. He also has an orientation st the sportsman's club he just joined next Satrurday so not sure what will happen with that. We have been in this house for over a month and only gone out for errands and food shopping essentially. Now that we want to finally get out and have a life we can't. But hey, things could be much worse for sure.

I do want to get my hair cut next week, though. Haven't had it cut since we left NY. It's a mess. My husband did go out to the barber the other day. What to do....what to do.....

I hope the realtor offered to give you a gift certificate to show your home as that is customary. If she didn’t call/text her now and say no.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I hope the realtor offered to give you a gift certificate to show your home as that is customary. If she didn’t call/text her now and say no.

She also actually showed it the day we drove here from NY. We had just gotten back from food shopping and she was walking down the road with a couple. This was the day before the movers came with our stuff.

I never thought about compensation for it. Good point. I already told her it would be ok. I am crazy I know. Especially after the way she treated me those couple of days before the closing.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
She also actually showed it the day we drove here from NY. We had just gotten back from food shopping and she was walking down the road with a couple. This was the day before the movers came with our stuff.

I never thought about compensation for it. Good point. I already told her it would be ok. I am crazy I know. Especially after the way she treated me those couple of days before the closing.
You are too nice. You own her nothing. She did not treat you right. I would cancel or at minimum tell her my friend is a Realtor, she told me it is customary for you to give me compensation such as a gift certificate when you show my house.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
You are too nice. You own her nothing. She did not treat you right. I would cancel or at minimum tell her my friend is a Realtor, she told me it is customary for you to give me compensation such as a gift certificate when you show my house.

Always been my problem- too nice.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

I think most people would rather hear a toot than a cough or sneeze. I sneezed at the hardware store last week and some people left the building, lol.

Bill