• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

First time to Big Island

Locksmythe

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Hi, sorry if this has been asked many times, search was not useful because the keywords are so common.

We have booked 2 consecutive stays this summer, about 2 weeks split unevenly between kings land and ocean tower. I am thinking of adding on a few more days at the end of the trip, and there is availability at both Bay Club and Kohala those days. Which would you recommend? We have points to spare so the slight price difference is not terribly important, but I guess I would expect more of kohala for the extra points. Curious on value of the kohala premier upgrade as well.

We recently bought a resale of a 1br week at Bay Club sight unseen, but this stay would be in a 2br.

THANKS!

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Bay Club hands down, much bigger units, huge wraparound lanai on the 2br. I don’t care for the small Kohala units at all.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bay Club units are typically bigger. Kohala units get access to the pools at the HWV - same access as Kingsland gets. The buildings are in different locations on the same property, but teh property is small, so that doesn't matter much. We've stayed at both, and there's not much more difference than that.

Cheers.

Locksmythe

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Will have kids with us, there an alternative to the HWV pools not included with bay club? It's just a few days so may not matter.

Penthouse good or bad?

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are a couple of small pools in the bay Club area (only one has a bar so I've never been to the other one :)). The pool in the Kohala part (Bay Club has access), is bigger and has a slide, but is nothing special. We don't have kids, so active pools are not relevant, and these are OK for us. it will be a step-down from Kingsland in this regard, but could be OK for a couple of days.

Cheers.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Will have kids with us, there an alternative to the HWV pools not included with bay club? It's just a few days so may not matter.

Penthouse good or bad?

Penthouse has view of golf course. On the 3rd floor. I like it, but it is a matter of taste.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We chose Bay Club over Kohala because of the size of the villas. The only downside is the access to the Hilton Hotel's pool complex. At the Bay Club it was available as an extra cost option for (I believe) $150 for a family of four for three days. It didn't matter to us since we are ocean/beach people - we just use the hotel pool to cool off after a day's sightseeing.

Locksmythe

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
I probably should start a new thread, but I will try here anyway. This is posted on all the county websites, so now we can consider Oahu for our add on days, Which are the preferred places to stay on Oahu? Is it worth it to add 3 days there that will be on a busy weekend?

Beginning June 15, all restrictions for inter-county travel end. Travelers are not required to do pre-travel testing or quarantine for COVID-19 when traveling between islands.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Try here for all HGVC resort info...

Locksmythe

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Thanks, I saw another post made while I was typing... with free bread crumbs!

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Here’s a recent video of Kohala

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Here’s a couple of YouTube videos I found on the Bay Club

Locksmythe

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
So, we ended up moving our trip out and changing it to split over big island and oahu. 8 days at King's Land and 7 at Hawaiian Village (The newer one, discounted - got us a free day)

We are going to add a few days at Disney Aulani, because kids... (big and small)