• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

First time timeshare purchase - need advice. [Wyndham]

droopy

Reaction score
I am about to sign the contract of my first time timeshare purchase. It is Wyndham Smoky Mountain 105000 points. The maintenance fee is $550/year.
I have to pay the transfer cost $450.
Is this deal OK? Is the maintenance fee too high?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Smokey Mts is a good ownership regarding maintenance fees.

You did good.

The only problem I see is that 105000 points wont get you much. If you like this at all, you will be back to buy more

droopy

Reaction score
Thanks! Signed the contract. Have a lot to learn now.

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score

famy27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Smokey Mts is a good ownership regarding maintenance fees.

You did good.

The only problem I see is that 105000 points wont get you much. If you like this at all, you will be back to buy more

Back in the olden days of the 28,000 point exchanges in RCI, I got two weeks a year easily out of my 105,000 point contract. I actually had 105,000 for about five years and didn't add more points until two years ago.

Even after the exchange requirements changed, I was still getting 7-10 days out of my little 105,000 contract. I bought it on eBay in 2008 for $200, and I still think it was probably the best $200 I've ever spent.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Paying the $450 is $299 Wyndham "extortion fee" plus closing costs of $151.

Do understand that 105K in points barely gets you a PRIME HOTEL week in the older (legacy) resorts? Or a 1bdr in the OFF season time? And 1 RT transaction.

I would be looking for a contract with MORE points... 154K,000 for a 1bdr unit (2 RTs for each year based on the 1 RT for each 77K in points) or better would be a 231,000 (3 RTs). There are contracts also for 189,000 points ... but with 2 RTs (42,000 additional points are about $250 in MFs).

If you ADD another contract later ... another $299 transfer fee each plus the closing costs.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
grats on your new resale purchase!

massvacationer

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You'll be able to book a nice three or four night long- weekend at many resorts with 105K, or you can credit pool them and book a week every other year.....I started with about that many points, learned the system and bought more after a year or two.

Vacationfuntips

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations!

You can use those points for a Prime week at Wyndham Smoky Mountains! There are options for you with 105K points. Depending upon the season you travel, length of your stay and where you want to go, you have flexibility in how you will use your Wyndham points.

Here is a link to the 2014-2015 Club Wyndham Plus Member's Directory (some things have changed, so look at the supplement as well). You can view the required points needed for various Club Wyndham Plus Resorts:
http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/wyndham/plus_membersdirectory1415/index.php#/1

Wyndham Member's Directory Directory Supplement:

https://www.myclubwyndham.com/ffrweb/pdfs/0194_2015_CW_Directory_Supplement.pdf

Make sure to call Wyndham to set up your RCI account (this is included with your Wyndham Program fee) You can also deposit your Wyndham points in RCI to get a week's vacation somewhere. You can stay at Walt Disney World Resorts for 105K points.
You can go to Cancun, MX and stay in a 1 bedroom for a week for 77K points.
You can credit pool future years points to have more points to use for your vacation planning.
You would have to pay the RCI exchange fee which is an additional $209 plus your points.

You could do Extra Vacations (RCI cash purchase vacations) if you want to go on more vacations without having to pay an exchange fee.

You could search for RCI Last Call ( within 60 days or less) for vacations and pay under $300 for a full week vacation.

You have many choices. My advice is use what you have. You can always rent more points from Wyndham if you might need some more. If you think you will need more points, you can decide on that later.

When your points transfer, set up you online account. Set up your maintenance fee payment withdrawal online to save the monthly fee charge by Wyndham.

Request a NEW 2015-2016 Club Wyndham Plus Member's Directory (you will have online access to view it when you set up your Wyndham online account)

Welcome and Good luck!

Cynthia T. :)