• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

First post --- thanks Tug BBS

twbivens

Reaction score
Hi All,

New member here ...

Currently in Hawaii on vacation and *almost* got suckered into buying more developer-priced points for my Shell Vacations timeshare. Actually, truth be told, DID get suckered into it (at the tune of almost 14k) but am within the 7-day window and plan on rescinding when the sales office opens back up on Monday morning.

I just want to thank this board... as some late night research confirmed what my gut told me --- I was vastly overpaying. From my reading here, I realized that I can get Shell Points for little to nothing (given the high MFs) and will just look to add points from the reseller market.

I've got plenty of questions, as I've managed to under-utilize both of my timeshares since acquiring them. Time to change that!

Glad to be a member. Thanks all!

Reaction score
You need to send a letter to them, stating your request to rescind. Somewhere in all your documentation is the address. The sales office will not cancel. If they say they will, they're lying. Send it out Monday, and you're good.

TS

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
USPS is closed Monday Nov 12 as it is Veteran's Day. Do it Tuesday --- "Certified Mail, Return Receipt" ... legally counts as of the DATE IT WAS MAILED. Keep the Green and White paper with all the numbers and name & address as to who the letter is going to.

No, do not sent it Overnight Mail or Express Mail or UPS or Airborne --- the leal way is "certified mail, return receipt".

The sales office will only stall you until you are out of the rescind timeline and YOU will be struck with it (and the payments).

I also suggest you DO NOT ANSWER their phone calls - "no good will come out of it" - you owe them NO EXPLAINATION and whining about their misrepresentation during the sales process is of NO BENEFIT to you or them.

How can you tell when a timeshare salesperson or manager is LYING? Their lips are moving.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It may be that the sales office is not the place to send a rescission letter. That address will be in the packet you received as well as instructions on which mode to send it by (USPS, Fed-Ex, UPS). The best sending it to the sales office will result in is delay and harassment from the sales weasels, at worst, enough delay will be caused that the rescission won't go through without much finger pointing and hassle.

All the best. We are thrilled that you found TUG! Welcome!

Jim

Last edited:

twbivens

Reaction score
Thanks all.

I went back and looked through the paperwork and found the "Mutual Right of Cancellation" form. It's now signed and I will sent via Certified Mail first thing Tuesday.

Hopefully things will go smoothly. No more tours for me. Going to find some good deals on the resell market.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Thanks all.

I went back and looked through the paperwork and found the "Mutual Right of Cancellation" form. It's now signed and I will sent via Certified Mail first thing Tuesday.

Hopefully things will go smoothly. No more tours for me. Going to find some good deals on the resell market.
Welcome to TUG. You are among the fortunate few who found TUG in time to rescind a developer purchase! Congratulations!

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks all.

Keep a copy and send it also in regular mail.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

There is nothing wrong with tours- for education only! It's when you get signing things you don't fully understand in front of people who are after only your money that you get into trouble.

Better to hang around TUG for a few months, rent a few TS vacations, THEN start shopping for a resale that fits your needs.

Glad you found the form and will get it in the mail Tuesday. They must get a lot of 'em back to include a rescission form. Who knew?

Have a Mai-tai for me and congratulate yourself for dodging the bullet.

Jim

stanleyu

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just want to add that even though I've been a TUG member for a number of years, I have never regretted joining and always get something of value for my membership. Most of the time it is reading the user reviews of the time shares I am considering visiting.

louangel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Glad you're able to cancel. I had a similar experience several weeks ago (and I knew better!) when salesman convinced me joining the Rewards program (which required an actual purchase, not resale points) would offset some of my concerns--not enough housekeeping credits, would like more "guest" reservations w/o charge, etc. Fortunately, I came to my senses, reviewed my documents and forwarded the cancellation notice RRR as required. My cancellation went smoothly; I faxed documents and then mailed them just to make sure I was within the cancellation window. One note: my contract identified a shorter cancellation period for me as an Illinois resident than Wyndham required, so that's another issue to check--state requirements. As always, thank you, TUG. Membership is definitely worth keeping!! Sandy

MLR

TUG Member
Reaction score
TUG is definitely EDUCATIONAL!

:cheer:

Reading these experiences from the newsletter keep me 'alert' NEVER to fall for the timeshare sales talks - no matter WHAT they offer you. Ultimately, it will COST you plenty. :0) I love this poster's tagline: "How can you tell when a timeshare salesperson or manager is LYING? Their lips are moving." Just love it!!

I joined TUG when we thought we wanted to sell our timeshare. Found out we would have to give it away and then decided to put those plans on hold and use RCI. We can get 3-4 weeks vaca a year from our EOY deeded week in Hawaii. So, for now, as long as we can travel - and pay the blinking fees - we will do that.

We got the timeshare virtually free from my sister in 2004 - used the home resort 3 times and have since banked with RCI. As long as we can scrape up the fees - we will hang onto it. Heading to MX for 2 weeks soon. Got a week booked in Branson in April. We travel off season - so we haven't had a problem finding somewhere to go that is right up our alley.

TUG is definitely EDUCATIONAL and if it prevents a bad experience for an unwary buyer - even better.

Thanks for posting your experiences and keeping the rest of us informed and for all the great answers to any and all questions regarding timeshares. :wave: