• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

First Maint Bill after transfer- Much Higher than expected

ExplorerII

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

I bought a 551k Point Dessert Blue Resale Contract. Tonight I just got notified with our first paint bill and its $684.13. Any idea why so high? I plan on calling in the morning as I know they are closed but just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this.

I was expecting something in the $2xx range. Any help is greatly appreciated.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
My guess is the last owner didn't pay the last 1 or 2 payments.

lotus921v

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham South Shore, Wyndham Bali Hai, Wyndham Shearwater, Worldmark, Regal Vistas at Massanutten, Marriott Grand Chateau
I got a bill that was almost double for the first month. It was for the partial month before the monthly billing hit. Call and they should be able to tell you

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Wyndham switched to Paymentus last August and there's been many issues. It's been a headache for many owners getting set up correctly with Paymentus.

Unless Wyndham's changed their policy, which I highly doubt, they won't complete transfers if the maintenance fees aren't kept current. Since your transfer completed it stands to reason that Paymentus has the amount wrong.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Wyndham switched to Paymentus last August and there's been many issues. It's been a headache for many owners getting set up correctly with Paymentus.

Unless Wyndham's changed their policy, which I highly doubt, they won't complete transfers if the maintenance fees aren't kept current. Since your transfer completed it stands to reason that Paymentus has the amount wrong.
See and I was thinking that with all the payment problems it is probably easier to transfer it with 1-2 payments not made than to hold up the transfer. I would double check to make sure the previous owner didn't pay and if they tried but the payment failed or for whatever reason, have the closing company collect that from the previous owner if possible to reimburse you if you have to pay it. If it hasn't been paid then the new owner will have to pay it and then try to get it reimbursed and if that doesn't work just factor in the extra $350 into the total cost.

jules54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maintenance fees should be up to date paid by previous owner or resale company until transfer is completed. You wouldn’t have received a bill if the points had not transferred. I’ve dealt with this in the past and the seller has always paid me back for a month they didn’t pay.
200.00 per month for 551,000 pts seems way low to me. 2400.00 year for 551,000 pts? I would think it would be closer to 400.00 per month. I could be wrong It wouldn’t be the first time.

WyndhamBarter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually Desert Blue has some of the lowest MFs around. Check the
spreadsheet in the stickies - it has recently been hovering around
$4.15 per 1K points.

My understanding is that that is quite common for the more recently built
resorts since they have higher point costs per per room, so fewer
dollars of MFs per point needed to generate maintenance on, say, a 1BR.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
Early last year (so pre-Paymentus), about a month after a new resale contract had transferred into my account, I received a bill in the postal mail for I think like 3 previous months of maintenance fees. I’d already had a bit of a fight simply getting the points into my account and the MFs weren’t that much, so I just paid it without pursuing why. Just another data point that this has been going on for at least a year.

My newest contract that just hit 3 weeks ago hasn’t been incorporated into my bill yet, so I’ll keep you posted on whether they hit me for any back MFs.

1Melanie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Midtown 45, Santa Barbara, Avenue Plaza
Wow! Lots of $$!

ExplorerII

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all!

So just to update every one I called and was told it was an error and not to pay any mind to it. I was told that my account is noted that it is being corrected and should be updated within a week or two. I do believe my monthly maintenance fees should be around $228 per month. Desert Blue was on my short list of home resorts mainly for the low maintenance fees. The agent I spoke do did believe that there were an additional two months on their erroneously as the previous owner was up to date prior to the transfer. So 684 divided by 3 comes out to $228.

I'll update the thread once the bill is corrected. Thank you again for your help!

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Paymentus strikes again!

Glad to hear it was just a Paymentus issue and you got it straightened out. You should check next month to make sure your payment goes through correctly. Sometimes it takes more than one month/one call to finally get things fixed.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
My newest contract that just hit 3 weeks ago hasn’t been incorporated into my bill yet, so I’ll keep you posted on whether they hit me for any back MFs.
Pleasantly suprisingly, they didn't. To summarize, my new contract hit my account on February 28, evidently too late for my monthly payment in early March. My bill due early April has been posted now, and it only includes one extra month of MFs on the new contract (for March), which is correct IMO. As long as May drops that extra amount off the bill, I should be good to go.

Now, the only reason I knew the exact amount to expect is because I was able to independently verify the MFs on my newest contract here on TUG. Nothing in Paymentus or elsewhere on Wyndham's owner site breaks that out for me. (I suppose I could have called if I didn't have that info.) But that being said, it is the exact amount I expected (at least rounded to the dollar).

altiste1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge
Marriott Phuket Beach Club
Wyndham Bali Hai
I just got my first bill, also incorrect like the OP's. Wyndham wanted $620 for one month on a 564,000 point Bali Hai deed. That should be more like $230.

A call to Financial Services led to no result. They told me if I wanted to dispute the amount of the bill, I needed to speak with Owner Care. Like so many things I hear when I call them, I'm pretty certain that's not true, and my experience with the Owner Care rep confirmed that. She had no idea and was constantly putting me on hold so she could go back and talk to... Financial Services. Of course the information she was getting from them was also incorrect. They were saying things like "this is a carryover balance from the prior owner" and "you need to look at your contract with the seller because that governs in this case." Again, way off. Wyndham wouldn't transfer the deed if there's a balance owed. So I asked them to open a ticket and get back to me. Unfortunately, I'm afraid this is going to take more than one multiple-hour phone call to get resolved successfully.

Last edited:

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Try sending an email to this address:

I have not gotten a response to my question, but the auto-reply suggested they'd need at least 5-7 business days to get back to me, and we aren't there yet.