• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

First II Exchange: What weeks trade best ??

GlassFinder

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, so I am ready to brave the first exchange deposit (for 2010, Paradise Village PV Mexico). We have been to our home resort 3 times and love it, but want to try something different. We have a points based timeshare and can reserve practically anytime of year. As an example we could do one week 2 bedroom any premium time of year. Or we could do 1 bedroom holiday week. So, any advice for what week I should reserve to ensure good trade value? I was thinking February in Mexico should have high demand and might be a good call. Also, I can start it Fri, Sat or Sun....does that make a difference?

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP...........

djs

TUG Member
Reaction score
My guess is that a 2B will pull better exchanges than a 1B. There are plenty of desirable weeks other than a holiday week. Personally I prefer a week that starts on a Saturday, but I don't know if it makes a difference between Fr/Sa/Su, perhaps others will chime in on that one.

You're probably right on February as for those of us in cold climates, we're pretty sick of the weather by February; though (and this is my own personal take), I like the idea of going away when it's cold and coming back when it is just starting to warm up.....typically this would mean the second week of March (give or take).

Hopefully others will pipe in because I'm not sure I gave you any useful info :)

Kenrabs

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If banking a Feb week make it Presidents week.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would expect the week before Easter Sunday to be the strongest trader of the year. But, whether you want to reserve a 1-bedroom holiday week or a 2-bedroom non-holiday week will depend a lot on what you want to receive in exchange. II makes it very difficult to trade up in size, so if you'll need a 2-bedroom, you should book a 2-bedroom.

If you are considering depositing a non-holiday week, I would call II and ask which weeks qualify for Accommodation Certificates (bonus weeks.)

You can also check the II demand index for Mexico. This has some value, although I don't find the demand index to be completely reliable.

You may also want to ask again here next spring (for your 2011 week.) The strongest week for your Mexico resort will certainly fall sometime between Christmas and the week after Easter. Ordinarily, an II member could just look at that time frame, and tell you what dates have availability in PV. (The dates with II availability would be the dates to avoid.) However, since we are already within that period, much of the inventory for the upcoming season will have been booked, even if it's not particularly high demand,and not much for 2010 has been deposited. Checking further out (say, next May to August) will provide a better idea of what the high demand times in PV are.

....Personally I prefer a week that starts on a Saturday, but I don't know if it makes a difference between Fr/Sa/Su, perhaps others will chime in on that one.....
I've heard that Saturday is highest, followed by Sunday, with Friday a distant third.

Lynzie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you will do better with a 2 bedroom. They are only offering bonus weeks through September 2009, last time I checked. Looking at the trade demand index, week 5 shows the greatest demand. Weeks 7 and 52 are next and week 12 after that.

GlassFinder

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the great information. It helps a lot as I prepare for my first exchange. If I could impose on those knowlegable for one more point of clarification. When I called in to reserve a week to trade, I was told the following. "Our resort has such high demand, you should not use the points required for a premium week" (like Jan-April). The advice I got was to reserve a value week (like May/June) and save the extra points.

The whole determination of how a deposited week is valued, still is a bit of a mystery to me. Could what I was told be correct or were they just trying to get rid of value weeks??? I have yet to make a move.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts............

You guys (and gals) are great!

Judy

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
The whole determination of how a deposited week is valued, still is a bit of a mystery to me.
As it is to us. It's a "trade secret".
Could what I was told be correct or were they just trying to get rid of value weeks??? I have yet to make a move.
If you have time, this is what I'd suggest: Join II and give them the information about your resort ownership. Ask them to set you up for internet access or do it yourself online. I think when you login to II's exchange section you will be given an opportunity to select the week you want to search with. That's how it works with my floating weeks. Sometimes you have to put in a reservation number, but as long as you aren't actually going to make an exchange right then, you can just make one up. You can then search with as many dates as you want to see what comes up. That will give you an idea of the relative strength of different weeks at your resort.
Or faster, go to the "Sightings" forum and post a request for someone who owns at your resort to run some II online searches for you.