• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

First experience with HICV Horizons

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, Hilton The Bay Club, Worldmark
I had a small 15,000 point unit at Lake Geneva I had picked up years ago for $1 on ebay. I was just learning about HICV resales and ended up buying three for $1 each in South Beach, Smoky Mountain and Lake Geneva. After the larger purchases, this really wasn't needed and since I have moved I have less access to the resorts, so I decided to give it back. The process started a year ago. First time they would not accept my paperwork because the Notary stamp covered part of a signature. Second try, I filed the paperwork in September. They waived my 2021 fees (and kept the points) and it just closed 3/30. It works but its a long haul. I have another unit I sold on ebay in November and we are still waiting on the deed to be filed.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
So do you still own one timeshare?

jupe

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just started the Horizons process today at 3pm

Happytravels

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are down to three!!
This process took us eight month. With that being said they still tried to get us to pay the mf's. Stand clear when we called we had to pay for the year we called, after that they said we would not be responsible for mf's after that.

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am getting more interested in Horizons the more I read. I own three points contracts, all based in Las Vegas. I am using them less and less, and finding that my grown children vacation in alternative accommodations (Airbnb, VRBO, etc.). So now I find that my timeshare usage might be waning. Today I left a message with Horizons but I am waiting on a call-back, which might take some time.

Here are my questions:
- Can I "give" Horizons two of my contracts and keep one (just in case I decide to use the timeshare feature or have access to RCI) or do I have to relinquish my entire contract to Horizons?
- Many posts here on TUG talk about how long this process takes. Our points renew in January, and MF are due then. Do I pay those 2022 MF in order to use Horizons?
- If I pay the 2022 MF, do I get to use the points, or do they go to Horizons?

These are some of my questions. I welcome any additional info on this process.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I am getting more interested in Horizons the more I read. I own three points contracts, all based in Las Vegas. I am using them less and less, and finding that my grown children vacation in alternative accommodations (Airbnb, VRBO, etc.). So now I find that my timeshare usage might be waning. Today I left a message with Horizons but I am waiting on a call-back, which might take some time.

Here are my questions:
- Can I "give" Horizons two of my contracts and keep one (just in case I decide to use the timeshare feature or have access to RCI) or do I have to relinquish my entire contract to Horizons?
- Many posts here on TUG talk about how long this process takes. Our points renew in January, and MF are due then. Do I pay those 2022 MF in order to use Horizons?
- If I pay the 2022 MF, do I get to use the points, or do they go to Horizons?

These are some of my questions. I welcome any additional info on this process.
You can give back one or more and keep one or more. If you get in early enough you shouldn't have to pay the 2022 MF's. You are probably getting close to the cutoff so if you don't want to pay 2022 then let them know ASAP and they will let you know if you got in on time for 2021. If not then pay your 2022 MF:s and quickly use them up either renting them out or using them and then by late August or September get it started. In the past they accepted up to November 1 but there is no guarantee that the same cutoff will apply this year.

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your reply. Actually, the Horizons rep just called me a few minutes ago before I saw your post. Here is what she said:
As you mentioned, I can keep one of my contracts and give back the other two. This will allow me to retain my HICV membership.
- I must have a current membership with all fees up to date.
- She suggested that, since there is no guarantee on the amount of time this process will take, I should wait until January 2022 when my dues are paid and my points are awarded into my account.
- The process takes 10-12 weeks from when I submit, then the documents must be notarized, than additional 4-6 weeks. It is a "very lengthy process," in her words.
- If I start the process today, there is little guarantee that it would be completed by January and then I would have to request again. It can get confusing (Her words again).
- I receive a warranty deed; sign in front of a notary; two witnesses.

I decided, based on this information, to wait until January, pay my dues, and begin the process at that time. I can always put my points into IHG which have done many times, and keep them for future hotel stays.

Thanks all for your help and explanations. I hope this is helpful,
sandy

jupe

TUG Member
Reaction score
I started in August. Still waiting for my Fedex. Called 4 times. On hold for at least 1.5 hours for 3 of those times. Apparently they are slow today as I was answered almost immediately. Still waiting for fedex though.