• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

First case of COVID in our subdivision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
What feels like an alternate reality to me is when I go on social media and see all of my friends kids going to school. And my daughter cannot and her entire class will not have a senior year. Yeah, that is hard for me to process.

Last spring was a different deal when all the nation's kids were "in it together". Now, totally different story. Why can some kids be back in school and others not? I can't rationalize that.

And last year's kids lost ceremonial things. This year they are losing an education PLUS everything else.

Last edited:

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
It's honestly like we're living in two different realities! None of us can deny that there are still far too many people in this country who choose to believe that COVID-19 doesn't even exist, or that it's not as serious a disease as the numbers show, or that only elderly and people with compromised health conditions are at risk, or that any attempt at all to restrict its spread are reason to rant and rave ridiculously about civil liberties being taken away unduly. *Those people,* the ones who are completely denying the reality, are the ones I'm talking about. If you're not doing those things, you shouldn't feel as though I'm targeting you.
We definitely live in 2 different realities. Where are these people that deny Covid exists? That deny people die?

I mean this in all seriousness. People argue about wearing masks over and over like a broken record but where is the argument ? Where I live in California a person can’t go “I N” anywhere without one. So why the constant posturing and beating the drum? Are you trying to prove your superior humanity through indignation and bashing others?

Please help me understand

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
Do you realize that the info you seem to make fun of in your first few sentences is the exact reason you can type that last sentence?
Tongue-in-cheek and a sense of irony is all I meant!

Maybe people who test positive to Covid should wear a scarlet C on their foreheads.
(Warning- this response is in jest:cautious:!)
Permanent Tattoo that can be superimposed with an X tattoo after vaccine, negative test or recovery!

No offense meant to any one here. Humor is a great antidote to the horrific #s daily. Contact tracing has been a measure I've always been for, but the reality of doing so accurately is a big problem.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
We definitely live in 2 different realities. Where are these people that deny Covid exists? That deny people die?

I mean this in all seriousness. People argue about wearing masks over and over like a broken record but where is the argument ? Where I live in California a person can’t go “I N” anywhere without one. So why the constant posturing and beating the drum? Are you trying to prove your superior humanity through indignation and bashing others?

This is it exactly - I don't know a single Covid denier. I can't go anywhere either without a mask.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
What feels like an alternate reality to me is when I go on social media and see all of my friends kids going to school. And my daughter cannot and her entire class will not have a senior year. Yeah, that is hard for me to process.

Last spring was a different deal when all the nation's kids were "in it together". Now, totally different story. Why can some kids be back in school and others not? I can't rationalize that.

And last year's kids lost ceremonial things. This year they are losing an education PLUS everything else.
I can't even imagine. As I working mom, I never considered "homeschooling." And, yet, here we are. (Not me, thank God! I get to sit this one out.) My heart goes out to all working parents and kids and teachers right now. It just ain't right.

As a kid, my own education had its ups and downs. I can really empathize with kids. It sucks...but this, too, shall pass. I pray they learn how truly resilient they can be.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
This is it exactly - I don't know a single Covid denier. I can't go anywhere either without a mask.
On the other hand, I know a handful of people who had to get tested and quarantine due to being told they had been in contact with someone who tested positive. All endured the quarantine. None tested positive. No symptoms.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
We felt safe in our community of 1000 homes, but it finally happened. The person who tested positive was one who argued with residents all this time that she wasn’t wearing a mask, she wasn’t changing her life style, she wasn’t living in fear. I knew she had a house cleaning business, but I didn’t realize she led the large water aerobics group too. I haven’t been doing anything but take my husband to medical appointments so we are safe so far. Had the test last Monday and we’re negative. Hoping others weren’t infected, lots of vulnerable people here.
Glad to hear your tests were negative. Did the person who tested positive get sick? I've read of people testing positive and not getting sick.

What I don't understand about your report is why the water aerobics class was large? Every one has a choice to limit their exposure somewhat. We are limiting ourselves to a max of 10 in our water aerobics which allows plenty of space in the pool. I opted out of a group hike because of the size.

And, why would someone allow someone in their home without a mask? If she has a cleaning business, it's probably because she needs the money. There are many questions. I would think her customers would insist or decline her services, but maybe they felt comfortable. I could see that.

I live in a 55+ community. Except for our pool and new pickle ball courts, no activities. Our clubhouse and mini gym are closed. No CV19 actual cases reported. I think there are about 500 homes. One friend was told she was exposed. So, she got tested and quarantined. Test was negative. Never developed any symptoms.

My sister was just tested because she hugged a 20 yo who later tested positive. She said the thinking is that there needs to be extended exposure, say 15 minutes or more. This makes sense to me.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I read a lot of smug moral superiority in many of these posts that people who have Covid somehow didn't do the "right" things or it could have been prevented.

Covid came into my house because my daughter works at an car dealership. She's a gopher there. Runs around while she's there dealing with many customers each day. She runs service records back and forth, fetches loaner cars, processes paperwork. Masks are required. She washes her hands.

Most likely she got Covid there. Hard to imagine where else she could have gotten it as she does't go to school (not allowed!) nor are sports allowed. You see - -she is doing one of of those jobs that people can't do from home. She's out in the public eye. Not everyone can participate in society behind a keyboard.

And when she got Covid, I made the decision as her mother that I wasn't going to lock her in her room for 10-14 days while I delivered her meals to her bedroom. Sorry - but I don't roll that way as a mom. I"m healthy & 52. Very very minimal chance that something would happen to me if I got Covid. And , yes, I got it. I'm not complaining about it. Sure, it hasn't been pleasant but I have stayed-put and feel confident that I haven't spread it to anyone in the community.

Things happen. People get sick.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don’t know how large the water aerobics class was. They used to have over forty but I have absolutely no idea how many at this time.
our bar is open and our golf course opened on October 27. No shot gun starts and no more than one foursome in pro shop at a time. They set up a grill at the turn. What used to be monthly luncheons after golf are now brown bags When I left in June the pools were closed and tennis at own risk. No tennis matches against other community teams. No outside players on golf course. Only residents in restaurant. They did have bocce but eight teams instead of 14, masks required. Wii bowling canceled
I have been so busy with my husband that I haven’t participated in anything.
while the community has 1000 homes probably only 350 were occupied over the summer. I would guess 150 to 200 Do absolutely nothing in the community. They either work or are very elderly or were never interested,

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I read a lot of smug moral superiority in many of these posts that people who have Covid somehow didn't do the "right" things or it could have been prevented.

Covid absolutely could have been prevented and definitely mitigated from the utter disaster it is now in America. We’ve been posting about this very issue since early this year. Other countries kept their spread and deaths low while we completely failed.

This is a plain simple fact.

It has nothing to do with moral superiority.

I’m sorry you and your daughter had Covid, and I’m glad it didn’t become a life threatening issue for you. Sadly, that’s not the same outcome for all.

LMD

TUG Member
Reaction score
Covid absolutely could have been prevented and definitely mitigated from the utter disaster it is now in America. We’ve been posting about this very issue since early this year. Other countries kept their spread and deaths low while we completely failed.

I’m sorry you and your daughter had Covid, and I’m glad it didn’t become a life threatening issue for you. Sadly, that’s not the same outcome for all.
I agree with you. The US as a nation has utterly failed compared with other countries.
9 months into this pandemic people should know when and how to clean their hands , how to properly handle and wear a mask. From my observation, simple skills like this are STILL lacking. I have no doubt as to why this is still rapidly spreading. Sad that it is within our control yet many choose NOT to be part of the solution!

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cornell so sorry your daughter has the virus.
I think the only stopping it now is through a vaccine. somewhere we took the wrong path in this country

Brett

Reaction score

I agree that covid has nothing to do with moral superiority
I am hoping the vaccines prove effective and enough people take them

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score

But you are indirectly scolding someone for going out to purchase chocolates when they can be ordered online. You are participating in Black Friday deals.

What about the people that have to deliver those chocolates? Or those that have to manufacturer these things? Why is it ok to put THEM in harm's way? All of the people involved in the procurement of these products could be asymptotic and spreading Covid. How is THAT ok?

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

Because every time a spike in cases is reported the virtue signalers comment how it’s because people aren’t wearing masks. These people want to blame someone. They want a sense of control. In their minds there is no other explanation. They are doing their part but others are not because they are selfish.

But back in May some epidemiologists did say we will all be exposed to the virus eventually anyway.

Hence the mask arguments begin.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
I'm younger than many people on TUG, but I still remember when my classmates in school had measles and were quarantined. Yes, the dplacedepartment of health would literally come and put a big bold sign on the door that said QUARANTINE. The person with measles and the family could not leave their house until the department of health gave the all-clear. The family would have food and other items delivered or brought over and left at the door by friends. Doesn't anyone else remember this?

No one thought less of that family that they were ill or had been exposed. I just remember feeling sorry for them that they were sick, my parents and grandmother offering to help by bringing homework, food, medicine, and so on.

So a big sign that says QUARANTINE does not seem so terrible to me. Let's get this disease under control.

DH is 71 and had scarlet fever when he was 6 years old. He was sent to a medical facility commonly known by locals back then as the Pest House. He must have recovered very quickly because he remembers his stay as having a good time running around and playing with the other kids there. The poor nurses! HIs family was placed under quarantine at home with a quarantine sign posted on their door. No one else in the family got sick. When we get together and it comes up his next oldest brother still complains about having to stay in the house with only their oldest brother to play with and having to help entertain their youngest brother who would have been about 20 months old.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
But you are indirectly scolding someone for going out to purchase chocolates when they can be ordered online.

After so many months, I’m no longer hoping people do the right thing and instead doing what little I can to influence their decisions. If there is a safer way to accomplish a goal, why wouldn’t you take it?

You are participating in Black Friday deals.

I have not been inside any retail store since early March. I have not eaten at any restaurant, inside or out, since March 9. The only buildings I have been to have been for medical appointments, and even then I don’t take elevators (with one notable exception when the stairway door was locked). The only place I have personally bought anything is at a local outdoor farm.

All Black Friday and other purchases I make are online.

What about the people that have to deliver those chocolates?

The best way I know to limit the spread is to reduce the number of people that congregate in any location. Delivery company employees tend not to be inside (at least, not when delivering) and I believe work alone so they should be much safer than, for example, working in an office.

Or those that have to manufacturer these things? Why is it ok to put THEM in harm's way? All of the people involved in the procurement of these products could be asymptotic and spreading Covid. How is THAT ok?

It’s not okay. I have never advocated shutting the country down. I have advocated being as safe as possible. Ordering online and having everything possible delivered is what I can do to limit the spread, and as it’s not that hard to do I encourage others to do the same. The manufacturers that seem to have uncontrolled infections are those that require employees to be indoors in close proximity to others for long periods of time, such as those meat packing companies we read about months ago. However, I haven’t read the same in recent months so I’m hoping that means they have found ways to increase separation, air flow, etc, but I’m not sure.

Thanks for asking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
Because every time a spike in cases is reported the virtue signalers comment how it’s because people aren’t wearing masks. These people want to blame someone. They want a sense of control. In their minds there is no other explanation. They are doing their part but others are not because they are selfish.

But back in May some epidemiologists did say we will all be exposed to the virus eventually anyway.

Hence the mask arguments begin.
You may want to go back and actually see who insists on posting their opinions first. Or you can look at this thread. Some one posts that they had a case in their neighborhood. They are immediately confronted with how do you know it was the first case .......post 5. Which of course started the ridiculousness of the comments. Then someone :rolleyes: in post 39 calls a lot of people selfish. And even admits this post will not be received well. I can only wonder why someone would post something they know will get nasty and then blames others for replying.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
I'm younger than many people on TUG, but I still remember when my classmates in school had measles and were quarantined. Yes, the department of health would literally come and put a big bold sign on the door that said QUARANTINE. The person with measles and the family could not leave their house until the department of health gave the all-clear. The family would have food and other items delivered or brought over and left at the door by friends. Doesn't anyone else remember this?

No one thought less of that family that they were ill or had been exposed. I just remember feeling sorry for them that they were sick, and my parents and grandmother offering to help by bringing homework, food, medicine, and so on.
hen
So a big sign that says QUARANTINE does not seem so terrible to me. Let's get this disease under control.
I remember being quarantined for measles, chicken pox, mumps and scarlet fever. Our family doctor came to the house to treat me. At least for one of them, I had to be kept in a totally dark and quiet room for some reason. I don't remember having a health dept sign but we could not leave until the doctor came and said so.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And others are getting sick of hearing how their God given rights and freedoms includes endangering others. Or are all of the families of the 273000 dead just not that important.

Exactly!

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I remember being quarantined for measles, chicken pox, mumps and scarlet fever. Our family doctor came to the house to treat me. At least for one of them, I had to be kept in a totally dark and quiet room for some reason. I don't remember having a health dept sign but we could not leave until the doctor came and said so.

You have to be kept in a dark room for measles. Light can affect your eyes when you have it. Not sure about the quiet, but it's probably best for the patient to be kept quiet.

Last edited:

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I don't know why, in your situation, some can go to school and others can not if these friends are local. Perhaps private schools.

My granddaughter lost much of that second semester of her senior year at a historic private school that she had been going to since she was 2 1/2 years old! There were lots of "ceremonial things" and "PLUS everything else" that she'd been waiting for when she finally got to be a senior. It's hard and it's sad but these are different times in a changing world. We try to do the best we can to protect ourselves and others with the evolving and limited information that we have. I'm ashamed of the way my granddaughter acted when she went to Clemson this fall. I can only keep her at a distance now and that hurts too. People are hurting for lost opportunities everywhere. Non more so than the family and friends of the dead.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You have to be kept in a dark room for measles. Light can affect your eyes when you have it. Not sure about the dark, but it's probably best for the patient to be kept quiet.

Thanks! I had forgotten. It was probably best for my parents for me to be quiet! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.