• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Finally an Official Shell Owner - which raises more questions

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi all,

I am finally an official resale Shell Owner. Yay! :cheer:

I called and got my member number to sign on with, registered online, and immediately went to schedule my reservation on point and play. What a cumbersome system. Yikes! :eek: I typed in the exact days I wanted and came up with no results. Once I hit "my dates are flexible", only THEN did the EXACT dates I had asked for the first time show up. :ponder:

Anyway, I have reserved a 2 night stay for the Little Sweden resort. Since only one of my contracts has been recognized so far, I was only able to book the 2 bedroom since I didn't have enough points for the 2 Bedroom Deluxe.

So here are my questions in no particular order:

1) Does anyone know the difference between the two units at that resort? I noticed in the Housekeeping fees that the 2 bedroom was $69 and the 2 Bedroom deluxe was $99. So I assume the deluxe is bigger, but are there other differences? Does how many they sleep vary? Better location or view within the resort? Nicer furnishings? Etc?

2) For those that have stayed at Little Sweden and other Shell resorts, how does this one compare, is it pretty typical? Or, is it better or worse than the usual Shell resort? Opinions, please.

3) There was a chart of fees AFTER I finished booking showing the fees for online reservations, housekeeping, banking, cancellation, etc but when I booked online there were $0's on my reservation? Does this mean I get charged these at the time of stay? For example do they collect the $69 housekeeping when I check in? Or is that only if I run out of housekeeping? Supposedly from the charts since I have 6100 points (or will have once the other contract is added) I will have 4 housekeeping credits? Or am I reading this wrong?

4) If I decide to change my reservation after my other 3500 points get added, say by adding a day on, or upgrading to the 2 bedroom deluxe, can I even do that? Or would I have to cancel the whole reservation entirely and rebook the revised unit under an entirely new booking? Is that when I would incur a fee? I didn't see a place online where you could view your reservation, although maybe I missed it. I am very confused here.

5) Saw something on their site about some sort of prepaid gift card you could spend your points on? Is that only for retail purchasers? Is this ever considered a good value? What is the conversion ratio?

I am sure I will think of more questions once I play around with the website a little more. Thanks in advance.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
You get some free housekeepings, depending on the # of points you own, and two free transactions per year.

I have never been charged any fees because we own 12,225 points.

You might want to spend some time with the new owner information cartoon guy. I got some useful stuff from listening to him, but most I already knew.

shellboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have no personal knowledge of Little Sweden. As best as I can tell the # of housekeeping allowed free (based on points owned) relates to the number of individual stays you consume per use year. In other words with 6100 points and 4 housekeepings (example only-did not consult chart, you would not get charged for housekeeping fees for up to 4 individual stays (regardless of how long each stay is).

While I have booked online, I find it easier to do by phone or webchat. I tried using the online system (which does suck, as you mentioned) recently because I was having phone issues. It seems that the online system only allows reservations up to 365 days before check-out, wheras the stated policy is 365 days before check-in (which works fine by phone or webchat).

Depending on when your accounts get merged may impact maintenance fees for the first year (if 2012 fees are already paid, you should be OK for 2013). They typically change the start of the use year to the latest of the two, when merging contracts, but you can try requesting the earlier use year (if it matters to you). Since you have used some of your points already, that request may not be honored (might not have been honored anyway-according to the written rule).

You can view reservations online (just don't remember which link to click).

Any change to your existing reservation (not sure about revising versus cancelling and rebooking), I think will incur the second of your two allowed per use year, but I think all changes made on the same call are considered one use for billing purposes (key word is per use year not calendar year).

If you spend time in the member section on the website, I think most of your questions will be answered.

Last edited:

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I figured out the differences between the rooms - the deluxe are apparently in log cabins away from the rest of the resort. Has anyone over stayed in both that could offer opinions?

Also, I found out that you must cancel the entire reservation and hope that you can book something else with an entirely new reservation. So this is a risk I wouldn't want to take unless I had enough points to book the new reservation first, then cancel the old one.

Figured out housekeeping and reservation transactions, too. I am excited to try out the system. It seems like this resort requires quite a bit of points, so hopefully it is one of the nicer ones in the system.

I noticed that there is an option on the reservation to rent points. How much are they if you need to borrow them?

JDHPE

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Waikoloa: Ocean Tower,
Kohala Suites + Kings' Land;
Wyndham
Have not stayed there, so no opinion.

Renting points option is available when booking less than 60 days out. Latest prices for the sliding scale ranging from $0.25 to $0.165 per point:

$0.25 for less than 2,000 pts
$0.23 between 2,000 & 3,450 pts.
$0.21 between 3,500 & 4,950 pts.
$0.19 between 5,000 & 7,450 pts.
$0.18 between 7,500 & 19,950 pts.
$0.17 between 20,000 & 29,950 pts.
$0.165 over 30,000 pts.

Rental cost based on number of points for each reservation (you can't rent a bunch of points and add to your account).