• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Final Straw- Selling our Marriott/Vistana Timeshares

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I agree. Travel is fun. It’s all how you make it work. However, my main concern is I book my trip and the rules shift to where I am not sure if I can go or not. Yes, travel cancellation helps but it’s a real bummer to cancel because the rules change again. Take Hawaii. I booked for December but recently cancelled. That’s because the mandatory 14 day quarantine was extended to September 1. After that, proving you are negative by seeing a doctor 72 hours before flying removes the quarantine requirement. If I thought that was written in stone, I would not have cancelled. I am not sure. They can change or extend at anytime. I think they have upped the quarantine dates twice and might even do it again.

I plan to travel once I see consistency in rules. My guess is this will take awhile.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I agree. It’s easy for me to book since I had to cancel many times that I’m booking with restricted options and airfare credits from previous cancelled flights. So, nothing is coming out of pocket.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I agree. It’s easy for me to book since I had to cancel many times that I’m booking with restricted options and airfare credits from previous cancelled flights. So, nothing is coming out of pocket.

That’s the way to go. I think 2021 will see rules stabilize. After that, I plan to travel like a school boy pigging out on candy. I miss it and can’t wait to go again.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
That’s the way to go. I think 2021 will see rules stabilize. After that, I plan to travel like a school boy pigging out on candy. I miss it and can’t wait to go again.

Agreed. I’m also looking to take advantage of destinations I would never normally go to. If I end up with restricted options if this St John trip doesn’t work out and I see availability in Arizona in July, I’ll go. Is it ideal? No! But it’s available and I’d rather sit in a resort pool than let SO disappear because I didn’t use them. Guess what? I’ll probably have fun too lol. I’m just bummed I didn’t deposit in interval before banking. That would have been better

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Agreed. I’m also looking to take advantage of destinations I would never normally go to. If I end up with restricted options if this St John trip doesn’t work out and I see availability in Arizona in July, I’ll go. Is it ideal? No! But it’s available and I’d rather sit in a resort pool than let SO disappear because I didn’t use them. Guess what? I’ll probably have fun too lol. I’m just bummed I didn’t deposit in interval before banking. That would have been better

Yes. That’s a good plan. From what I have read the TS points have been flexible which they should be given the situation. I’m with you. I’ll travel anywhere. Each one is always a super adventure. Yes, that would have been better.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Yes. That’s a good plan. From what I have read the TS points have been flexible which they should be given the situation. I’m with you. I’ll travel anywhere. Each one is always a super adventure. Yes, that would have been better.

You live and learn. Next pandemic I’ll plan accordingly LOL. So far 4 trips booked and cancelled. Aye aye

pymadore

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway, Sand Pebbles (Solana Beach, CA, USA)
This agreement only covers land border crossings. The US has not closed the border to air travel for Canadians.
True, but everyone entering MUST self isolate for 14 days when landing in Canada from an international destination.

pymadore

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway, Sand Pebbles (Solana Beach, CA, USA)
Justin Bieber is big people. The rules are for us little people

Bieber is Canadian. Any Canadian citizen may return to Canada at any time, and must self isolate for 14 days upon arrival.

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGO, WKV, SVV Bella
If you have a one bedroom SVV 1 bedroom 44K SO in Key West or Bella let me know :)
I just saw a 1BR SVV key west pop up on eBay. $1 bid so far.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I’ve also used mine to trade in interval
And if it goes for $1, it’s a bargain

The listing shows MF is $770. Is that accurate? If so, then $770 for 44k SOs is not a bargain from my perspective. It’s also a difficult amount to use. If the intention is to use in II, then SDO is a better purchase.

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGO, WKV, SVV Bella
The listing shows MF is $770. Is that accurate? If so, then $770 for 44k SOs is not a bargain from my perspective. It’s also a difficult amount to use. If the intention is to use in II, then SDO is a better purchase.

$150 of that is the VSN fee, which only applies to your first Vistana ownership. I have other weeks, so my maintenance fee is $620.
I guess this is only a good value as an add on to other VSN ownerships for more staroptions

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGO, WKV, SVV Bella
Anyway, I posted it, because I recalled some people looking for it in the past

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It won't go for $1, certainly not that it has been advertised on TUG. The last one on Ebay was bid up to over $600.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

I don't think you would ever want it as a first ownership. But adding to an account that has existing SOs, it is pretty good.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
It won't go for $1, certainly not that it has been advertised on TUG. The last one on Ebay was bid up to over $600.
No no it def won’t go for a buck ESPECIALLY after they posted it here. I was hoping that wouldn’t happen.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
No no it def won’t go for a buck ESPECIALLY after they posted it here. I was hoping that wouldn’t happen.
There are 21 watching the auction now.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Deleted

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Sorry CPNY, I’ll pm you next time
You’re good. I appreciate you looking out. I actually saw it the day it was posted.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
$150 of that is the VSN fee, which only applies to your first Vistana ownership. I have other weeks, so my maintenance fee is $620.
I guess this is only a good value as an add on to other VSN ownerships for more staroptions

SVV 44k @ $620 MF = $0.014 per SO
WKV 148k @ $1646 MF = $0.011 per SO

It would take a long time to justify the WKV (though seems to be less now with significantly lower values this year) over SVV. I'd think SVV would be good for a ~5 year ownership plan and then give it away, assuming it works with your plans. Otherwise, there are better long-term purchases.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I don't think you would ever want it as a first ownership. But adding to an account that has existing SOs, it is pretty good.

How is it "pretty good"? It's still an odd amount of SOs, unless you plan on using it in Orlando (in which case there are likely better/less expensive options).

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
How is it "pretty good"? It's still an odd amount of SOs, unless you plan on using it in Orlando (in which case there are likely better/less expensive options).
Since you can bank StarOptions, any leftovers from an "odd amount" can be banked and combined with StarOptions the next year. We have an 81K annual and 44K EOY SVV and have no problem using them all up and never letting any go to waste. There is of course a fee to bank, so that has to be taken into consideration, but if done correctly you really only have to bank every other year.

Last edited:

wjarcher

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKOVRN, MKO, WLR, SVV, SDO
SVV 44k @ $620 MF = $0.014 per SO
WKV 148k @ $1646 MF = $0.011 per SO

It would take a long time to justify the WKV (though seems to be less now with significantly lower values this year) over SVV. I'd think SVV would be good for a ~5 year ownership plan and then give it away, assuming it works with your plans. Otherwise, there are better long-term purchases.

If the goal is to buy starOptions, to me, it is far better to buy SVV when you can almost get it for free when WKV costs over 12k (let us say WKV won't depreciate over time). You can do a lot with 12k every year which easily can cover the difference in SO cost.