• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Final Straw- Selling our Marriott/Vistana Timeshares

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Up till a few years ago, Marriott properties on ACs were more common. Then a few years back they started blocking them for the most part. They could still be had as last minute off season weeks on an AC. The Marriott inventory in ACs now is unprecedented. We have certainly taken advantage of it. You can't beat $260 for a week at Oceana Palms. Lots of Orlando 2BR units. It is going to be hard when things get more back to normal and we can't stay in 2BR units as easily or as cheaply.
It’s going to be very upsetting when that happens.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
It’s going to be very upsetting when that happens.
That is right. Got to use AC or getaways for my Lakeshore 2br and 3br weeks. I know I will miss them.

Last time I saw a MKO 1br or larger week with an AC was about 5 years ago.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

nokaoi9

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Newport Coast Villas, Sheraton Vistana Villages
For what it’s worth, I added E-Plus to two of the weeks I cancelled outside of 60 days prior to check-in, I didn’t add for the week that sparked the tipping point for me to cancel. This morning I can see with one bedrooms at Ko-Olina for next spring and summer using a 2021 SVV week, however I cannot see those same weeks with E-Plus expiring November 2022 on the same account which used a 2020 SVV week, nor can I see it with an E-Plus from an MKO 2020 week E-Plus expiring August 2022.

Some of you have said regarding my original post that I’m picking up my toys and got my home, which is fair and mostly true. Seeing what I’m seeing this morning just adds to the frustration. Why am I unable to see the same weeks available from an E-Plus week with zero restrictions and I’ve already paid $218 ($159 exchange fee plus $59 for E-Plus) for, than I am using a 2021 week?

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
For what it’s worth, I added E-Plus to two of the weeks I cancelled outside of 60 days prior to check-in, I didn’t add for the week that sparked the tipping point for me to cancel. This morning I can see with one bedrooms at Ko-Olina for next spring and summer using a 2021 SVV week, however I cannot see those same weeks with E-Plus expiring November 2022 on the same account which used a 2020 SVV week, nor can I see it with an E-Plus from an MKO 2020 week E-Plus expiring August 2022.

Some of you have said regarding my original post that I’m picking up my toys and got my home, which is fair and mostly true. Seeing what I’m seeing this morning just adds to the frustration. Why am I unable to see the same weeks available from an E-Plus week with zero restrictions and I’ve already paid $218 ($159 exchange fee plus $59 for E-Plus) for, than I am using a 2021 week?

II says eplus trading power is based on your original week- so my question is are the weeks you are comparing exactly the same? Are they the same size, same resort, same week/TDI, all deposited with about the same lead time from expiration?

In my experience (and this was 4 years ago) I didn’t see a difference between eplus retrade and another deposited week when they had the same attributes.

If the new deposit and eplus are the same I would call II or perhaps contact the II rep Mark Delcampo (tugmembers@intervalintl.com) to see if eplus could be used to confirm the exchange you want.

Last edited:

nokaoi9

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Newport Coast Villas, Sheraton Vistana Villages
Yes, weeks being compared are identical. Week originally exchanged was a 2020 usage 2BR platinum week at SVV. I tested what was available with a 2021 SVV platinum usage week if I wanted to do an immediate exchange, which is where I saw the 1BR MKO availability. I immediately checked the E-Plus ready to make an exchange and the weeks were not available. When I checked with the 2021 week again, they were still there. Since I have two E-Plus weeks and a Marriott AC to use next year, I elected not to exchange my 2021 week. Disappointing to see availability with the 2021 week, but not a 2020 identical week with E-Plus.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Yes, weeks being compared are identical. Week originally exchanged was a 2020 usage 2BR platinum week at SVV. I tested what was available with a 2021 SVV platinum usage week if I wanted to do an immediate exchange, which is where I saw the 1BR MKO availability. I immediately checked the E-Plus ready to make an exchange and the weeks were not available. When I checked with the 2021 week again, they were still there. Since I have two E-Plus weeks and a Marriott AC to use next year, I elected not to exchange my 2021 week. Disappointing to see availability with the 2021 week, but not a 2020 identical week with E-Plus.
It's a bit late for me at the moment but there are threads that have noted the same thing that you are seeing - reduced trading power using eplus. I'll see if I can find you some links, not that it would matter. I just wanted to confirm what you are seeing. I'm not sure why - maybe it was people trading out twelve months on the first trade, essentially wasting that first trade and just holding a week that they had no intention of using, then doing a lot of manual searches for something better? I really don't know but it absolutely happens.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There are other factors in comparing the 2 weeks besides the ownership type. To be identical they'd have to be the same timeshare week and they'd both have to be deposited with the same lead time. Don't let the TDI chart fool you as it is not standardized. A TDI of 150 in Orlando is still pretty modest trade power so the lead time and exact week there can make a big difference, at times, even with the internal trading preference.

I know others have said the week should retain the same trade power though I can't speak to that but it would surprise me if it did. You should contact the II rep that was recommended to you and see if you can get some answers and help with this.

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
A reminder that the TUG Rules prohibit advertising in the public forums, which I take to mean that questions/comments in a thread having to do with buying/selling/renting particular inventory isn't allowed. If I can read it and know what you're wanting to buy from/sell to someone else in the thread, it's going to be deleted.

Several posts have been deleted here - feel free to take your conversation to private messages. :)

pymadore

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway, Sand Pebbles (Solana Beach, CA, USA)
After almost 15 years of ownership, which along the way has included losing a parent, getting married, and having my beautiful daughter, I am officially done with Marriott.

Earlier this week Hawaii extended the 14 day quarantine thru the end of July, we had a check in date of July 25th. I called Marriott yesterday to explore my options, and was told that the resort is still open, or I could deposit my week into II and would have two years from date of deposit to use the week, with a check-in date of less than 60 days from booking. To say I was furious is an understatement. How in good faith can they say the resort is “open” when all of the below are closed, and knowing people from the mainland would be under a 14 day quarantine? While not thrilled with the II option, I feel it is something I could have lived with, had it not been limited to the booking window of being less than 60 days. I’m likely not going to be able to book, nor would I prefer to book a nice trip (like to Hawaii) in under 60 days, which means my ~$2400 maintenance fee will turn into nothing more than a glorified getaway or AC exchange with II. On a positive note, I will no longer have to worry about managing four II memberships (Marriott corporate account, non corporate account, and two Vistana), and will save ~$8000 per year in maintenance fees, and not have to contemplate another enrollment fee when the MVCI/Vistana program is eventually rolled out. It really is sad to see what Marriott has become since we first purchased almost 15 years ago.

Having Tug there to learn from since the beginning was invaluable. We fortunately purchased Ko Olina via resale prior to finding Tug, but learned how to really maximize our ownership here over the years. Whenever we had a question, the community was quick to offer advice, which was always appreciated. Mahalo nui for all the great recommendations and suggestions over the years, it has been truly appreciated.

Aloha.
Please understand that the USA is now on many countries travel advisory/do not travel lists. As a Canadian, the US border is closed for non-essential travel, and the same is true for non-essential travellers to Canada from the US. This pandemic is very serious, with the US faring the worst in the world. Leisure travel is a major factor in spreading this virus, along with not following proper safety protocols (masks, social distancing, hand washing, etc) This will pass eventually, with the creation of reliable vaccines, so please be patient.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Please understand that the USA is now on many countries travel advisory/do not travel lists. As a Canadian, the US border is closed for non-essential travel, and the same is true for non-essential travellers to Canada from the US. This pandemic is very serious, with the US faring the worst in the world. Leisure travel is a major factor in spreading this virus, along with not following proper safety protocols (masks, social distancing, hand washing, etc) This will pass eventually, with the creation of reliable vaccines, so please be patient.
People can now travel back and forth across the border. Justin Bieber did :)

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I don’t know. I think the questionable testing and reporting tactics are increasing faulty data. Let’s not be shocked at the new cases. I’m booking a trip to an island as we speak, take precautions

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark

It's a bit late for me at the moment but there are threads that have noted the same thing that you are seeing - reduced trading power using eplus. I'll see if I can find you some links, not that it would matter. I just wanted to confirm what you are seeing. I'm not sure why - maybe it was people trading out twelve months on the first trade, essentially wasting that first trade and just holding a week that they had no intention of using, then doing a lot of manual searches for something better? I really don't know but it absolutely happens.
Here are some threads about eplus/trading power reduction. FWIW, I really like eplus but we are also pretty easygoing about where and when we stay. We aren't locked into a school schedule and with the exception of resort fees, which I hate and try to avoid, we will stay pretty much anywhere if the quality is reasonable. If you are searching for a specific resort, I can see where eplus could be pretty frustrating. In 2016 I wanted to eplus into the Westin in Princeville for my daughter's honeymoon. My goodness, that took weeks of diligent searching, usually in the middle of the night, lol, but in the end I got it. Anyway here are some threads discussing the change in trade power. I hope that this works out for you.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
Not sure what will happen to Vistana/Marriott, but I just got an offer for $10k for 2br Westin Kierland Platinum. I'm tempting but holding this off just because i don't know where is world is heading to and I need to hold on to the cash i might need in few years.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Not sure what will happen to Vistana/Marriott, but I just got an offer for $10k for 2br Westin Kierland Platinum. I'm tempting but holding this off just because i don't know where is world is heading to and I need to hold on to the cash i might need in few years.
I’ll must say if I can, that’s the lowest I’ve seen that. Who knows what will happen to glorious MVC and VSE. It may be hard to sell developer prices the next year or so, if not more. Wonder if all of those who paid top dollar are kicking themselves.

pymadore

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway, Sand Pebbles (Solana Beach, CA, USA)
People can now travel back and forth across the border. Justin Bieber did :)
From Forbes - 20 July 2020:
Canada’s Prime Minister Justin Trudeau recently announced on July 16, 2020 that Canadian and U.S. officials will extend the border closure between the two countries until at least August 21, with more extensions possible. The border will continue to be closed to all non-essential travel. Essential travel will continue to be allowed, and includes trade shipments, essential workers and approved temporary foreign workers.
The border closure (which was introduced on March 18, 2020) was supposed to expire on July 21.
"Once again, Canada and the United States have agreed to extend the current border measures by one month until August 21, and we're going to keep working closely with our American neighbors to keep people safe on both sides of the border,” Trudeau announced.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I’ll must say if I can, that’s the lowest I’ve seen that. Who knows what will happen to glorious MVC and VSE. It may be hard to sell developer prices the next year or so, if not more. Wonder if all of those who paid top dollar are kicking themselves.
For retail timeshares are sold, not bought. Companies like Bluegreen, Diamond and Wyndham have since proven that they can sell a product retail worth almost nothing from a resale standpoint. I don't see the current information changing those dynamics related to resale prices. Now it might be more difficult to sell because of the economics and of course not being able to do in person tours right now will have a big impact.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wonder if all of those who paid top dollar are kicking themselves.

If they aren't now, they will be soon. No matter what the stock market or price of houses indicates tough times are going to be around for a couple of years. Expensive non-necessities like TimeShares will be hurt the most...

George

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
From Forbes - 20 July 2020:
Canada’s Prime Minister Justin Trudeau recently announced on July 16, 2020 that Canadian and U.S. officials will extend the border closure between the two countries until at least August 21, with more extensions possible. The border will continue to be closed to all non-essential travel. Essential travel will continue to be allowed, and includes trade shipments, essential workers and approved temporary foreign workers.
The border closure (which was introduced on March 18, 2020) was supposed to expire on July 21.
"Once again, Canada and the United States have agreed to extend the current border measures by one month until August 21, and we're going to keep working closely with our American neighbors to keep people safe on both sides of the border,” Trudeau announced.
This agreement only covers land border crossings. The US has not closed the border to air travel for Canadians.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
Wonder if all of those who paid top dollar are kicking themselves.
Just hope those spent a lot not regretting and not take their anger out on us and this forum as we already learned resale and didn’t pay much to begin with. I also saw an MKO EOY OV on eBay for $3k just last week. Wondering how low it can go, especially we are approaching MF season, and when it will stop bleeding.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Just hope those spent a lot not regretting and not take their anger out on us and this forum as we already learned resale and didn’t pay much to begin with. I also saw an MKO EOY OV on eBay for $3k just last week. Wondering how low it can go, especially we are approaching MF season, and when it will stop bleeding.
Some will say there are good reasons to add on at developer pricing of 50K plus. Maybe, maybe not. It’s not something I plan on doing. I paid developer prices once, never again. IF a common currency program comes out and I need to make a developer purchase, I wouldn’t be playing in that pool. Luckily I like what I own.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
The border (North and South) is not closed if you can afford a plane ticket.

True, but I think the 14 day quarantine applies upon your return.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I feel for the OP being so upset over COVID. As someone who had it, my mindset is a bit different. I’m feeling better, so I’m ready to travel and take advantage of lower crowds. Hope most people here feel the same. Of course it’s completely understandable that there are many who do not want to travel during the pandemic and that’s good.

I can see being frustrated, but let’s face it. After a long delay, they came around and offered something flexible. The next few years will be difficult in booking. My advice has always been to take the opportunity to try a new destination, even if it’s something less desirable for you. if you can’t have fun on vacation, maybe you should walk away.

As far as Hawaii, the resorts are open. Just because you have to quarantine for 14 days that doesn’t mean the resort isn’t letting you check in. Look at harborside resort. The Atlantis was closed but the harborside was open. Even now with the Bahamas shutting down commercial air travel from the US, the resort is open taking new guests. If you can swim there you have a place to stay with a new reservation. I had 160K SO restricted this year, I lost 25K with a sale, I just used 95K to book St John Westin. Guess who doesn’t have to deal with restricted options next year?

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I feel for the OP being so upset over COVID. As someone who had it, my mindset is a bit different. I’m feeling better, so I’m ready to travel and take advantage of lower crowds. Hope most people here feel the same. Of course it’s completely understandable that there are many who do not want to travel during the pandemic and that’s good.

I can see being frustrated, but let’s face it. After a long delay, they came around and offered something flexible. The next few years will be difficult in booking. My advice has always been to take the opportunity to try a new destination, even if it’s something less desirable for you. if you can’t have fun on vacation, maybe you should walk away.

As far as Hawaii, the resorts are open. Just because you have to quarantine for 14 days that doesn’t mean the resort isn’t letting you check in. Look at harborside resort. The Atlantis was closed but the harborside was open. Even now with the Bahamas shutting down commercial air travel from the US, the resort is open taking new guests. If you can swim there you have a place to stay with a new reservation. I had 160K SO restricted this year, I lost 25K with a sale, I just used 95K to book St John Westin. Guess who doesn’t have to deal with restricted options next year?

I agree. Travel is fun. It’s all how you make it work. However, my main concern is I book my trip and the rules shift to where I am not sure if I can go or not. Yes, travel cancellation helps but it’s a real bummer to cancel because the rules change again. Take Hawaii. I booked for December but recently cancelled. That’s because the mandatory 14 day quarantine was extended to September 1. After that, proving you are negative by seeing a doctor 72 hours before flying removes the quarantine requirement. If I thought that was written in stone, I would not have cancelled. I am not sure. They can change or extend at anytime. I think they have upped the quarantine dates twice and might even do it again.

I plan to travel once I see consistency in rules. My guess is this will take awhile.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk