• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Favorite things to do on Maui?

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Haven't had much time to plan our upcoming trip, so I figured I'd tap the brains of the experts here as to their favorite things to do/see, including beaches, excursions, restaurants.

We were only on Maui for a short period on a cruise stop about a decade ago. We did the bike ride sown the volcano and it was terrific. I had read that they discontinued those tours for awhile, but I think they've resumed them. Any recommendations there?

Do I need to make restaurant reservations in advance or can I do that once we arrive? Same for activities- are things generally open or does everything need to be booked in advance?

I know for Aruba we always pack floats for the pool and ocean, but should I bother for Maui. Naturally, snorkeling gear is a must.

Thanks in advance for your sage advice, and for saving me time researching. Can't wait! :banana:

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
My top 4, in no particular order:
  • Snorkeling/diving at Honolua Bay
  • Zip lining (Kapalua Ziplines and Maui Ziplines)
  • Hike Maui (East Maui Waterfalls & Rainforest Hike)
  • Any sailing trip with Trilogy (including the snorkeling trip to Honolua Bay mentioned up top)
I like planning out my vacation, so I generally book everything months in advance, and that has worked out quite well for me over the years. If we wanted to do a specific Trilogy sail, there's zero chance I would have been able to do it once we landed on Maui because of how quickly they fill up. If you're going during whale season, make your reservations now. As in today.

As for restaurants, there might be one or two restaurants that you'd want to make a reservation for beforehand (I've heard Mama's Fish House can get booked quickly), but for the most part you're probably fine waiting until you arrive.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Haven't had much time to plan our upcoming trip, so I figured I'd tap the brains of the experts here as to their favorite things to do/see, including beaches, excursions, restaurants.

We were only on Maui for a short period on a cruise stop about a decade ago. We did the bike ride sown the volcano and it was terrific. I had read that they discontinued those tours for awhile, but I think they've resumed them. Any recommendations there?

Do I need to make restaurant reservations in advance or can I do that once we arrive? Same for activities- are things generally open or does everything need to be booked in advance?

I know for Aruba we always pack floats for the pool and ocean, but should I bother for Maui. Naturally, snorkeling gear is a must.

Thanks in advance for your sage advice, and for saving me time researching. Can't wait! :banana:

For us it's the Road to Hana and swimming in a few of the waterfall pools, swimming at Black Sand Beach and Hamoa Beach, Snorkling at Black Rock, window shopping on Front St., walking on the beach walkway behind the Maui Ocean Club for dinner at one of the many eateries to nmae our top fun things

5infam

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are already some of my favorites listed above, but I will add a bit more.

1. Love the road to Hana. Several places to stop and hike along the way. An absolute must for us is to get banana bread from Aunty Sandy's Banana Bread stand. It is just off the Hana Highway on a little road called Keanae Rd. After picking up several (I do mean several) banana breads, we go to the end of the road and enjoy the scenery. Lots of crashing waves against lava rock formations. The black sand beach is nice too further up towards Hana. Our favorite beach on Maui was already mentioned, Hamoa beach, just past the town part of Hana. The water is very clean here, and the best place to body surf, ride boards. Nice waves here.

2. On restaurants, we usually eat at smaller places that don't require reservations such as Da Kitchen, which is close to the airport. We go there after we land for lunch and then make a Costco run. Also on that side of the island in Wailuku is Sam Sato's. Tiny place, no reservations, only open until 2:00pm. Awesome noodles! Closer to MOC is Aloha Mixed Plate where we eat at least 2 or 3 times a trip. On the reservations front, we like Star Noodles, not fancy, but always crowded so reservations recommended. Hula Grill we usually go to once, in Whaler's Village which is walking distance to MOC. Finally, we go to Sansei Seafood Restaurant & Sushi Bar in Kapalua. Requires reservations, maybe in advance of your arrival for the date you want, for their early bird special of 1/2 off most things on the menu. I believe it opens at 5:30pm and you get 1/2 hour or an hour to order whatever you want at the discount prices. We love it there and save a ton of money during the special - of course there is 5 of us!

3. The snorkeling is great as mentioned, and we used to bring our gear with us. Now I never fly anywhere with more than just a carry on, so we rent from Snorkel Bob's. They can give you a map of snorkel spots all over the island.

4. Also mentioned is the Trilogy sailing trip. We did one to Lanai and it was awesome. Definitely not cheap, but it was worth it the one time we did it.

We also did the bike down Haleakala a couple years ago. It was amazing!

Have fun!!

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Haven't been to Maui since 2011, so some things may have changed, but probably not. Note that we're not biking, hiking, and zip lining types, so our recommendations will be less "active":

1) Old Lahaina Luau - generally regarded as the best, most authentic Hawaiian luau - advance reservations are a must. They book up weeks or months out.

2) Sunrise on Haleakala - spectacular!

3) Dinner at Longhis in Lahaina - try the Shrimp Longhi or the Opakapaka with grapes.

4) Dinner at Kimos in Lahaina - Hula Pie is a must for dessert (also offered at Duke's in Honokawai and Lelani's in Whalers Village, we try to hit all three)

5) Golf in Kaanapali or Wailea; want to try Kapalua sometime if my game improves

6) Trilogy cruises are outstanding - book well in advance.

7) If you are there during the Humpback Whale season do several whale watch cruises - Trilogy is good for combined snorkle/whale watch cruises, but for pure whale watching, we liked Pacific Whale Foundation.

8) The Road to Hana, go past Hana to Charles Lindberg's grave site and the Seven Pools area - beautiful.

9) Take to north drive past Kapalua and past Nakalele Point. Awesome scenery.

10) Walk and browse all the touristy shops in Lahaina - a fun place

11) Some nice scenery in Iao Valley state park, but go early in the day before cloud roll in

12) If you've never done a helicopter tour, they are great. Try the long one that takes you along the sea cliffs on the north shore of Molokai. There are also operators offering fixed wing air tours as well.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Our favorite thing to do on Maui is relax! We've been coming to Maui for years (since 1986) so we don't feel like we have to do anything.

That said, if it's whale season we always take at least one whale watch trip. We go with the Pacific Whale Foundation out of Ma'alea Harbor.

As for restaurants, you won't have to make reservations ahead of time. However, if there is a specific restaurant you want to go to, on a specific day and time, it doesn't hurt to plan ahead.

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Haven't been to Maui since 2011, so some things may have changed, but probably not. Note that we're not biking, hiking, and zip lining types, so our recommendations will be less "active":

1) Old Lahaina Luau - generally regarded as the best, most authentic Hawaiian luau - advance reservations are a must. They book up weeks or months out.

We have gone to Old Lahaina Luau every single time we've been on Maui, and that'll never change. It's always at the top of my list "non-activities" list.

disneymom1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Ocean, Marriott Surfwatch, Marriott Manor Club Sequel
Great thread! We are going to Maui in August. Has anyone taken the Trilogy Discover Lanai or Molokini tours? Would you recommend? Thanks!

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Great thread! We are going to Maui in August. Has anyone taken the Trilogy Discover Lanai or Molokini tours? Would you recommend? Thanks!

We haven't done the Molokini tour yet, but loved the Lana'i tour. Snorkeling at Hulopoe was a lot of fun. You can't go wrong on any of the Trilogy tours, IMO. Not just the sights or activities, but the crews are all top notch, and the food is fantastic (cinnamon rolls for breakfast on the early tours!).

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

Did the Lanai trip years ago. A friend of my mother's (Mom is now 95) recommended it. Probably the best boat trip I've taken. This was before the big hotel was on Lanai. We snorkeled in the morning, had a wonderful bar-be-que lunch, then had a choice of more snorkeling, or a tour of the island. We chose the tour of the island.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Planning a trip Summer 2017 - going to keep an eye on this thread.

Some of the things we're considering doing are:

Tour the farmed animal sanctuary on Maui! Must make reservations. http://www.leilanifarmsanctuary.org/tours.html

The Road to Hana - Nakalele Blowhole

Maui Arts and Culture center has lost of activities. there are kids events/activities to learn about Hawaii culture and history: http://mauiarts.org/

Maui hikes: http://dlnr.hawaii.gov/dsp/hiking/maui/

See the musical about Maui: http://www.mauitheatre.com/

Submarine ride! Could be really exciting and fun: http://www.atlantisadventures.com/maui

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Many people drive the Road to Hana but driving around the opposite end of the Island is also beautiful. Make sure you drive clockwise so you are on the inside. Zip line Pi'iholo Ranch. They have several courses. One is back and forth across a canyon with the last zip being about 2800 feet. Eat at the Kihei Cafe for breakfast. Cash only. Hike into the "crater."

drlee

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you're staying on West Maui, we recommend Star Noodle as a fun meal. Also, if you are thinking of going to one of the restaurants that have reservations, the Ios App Open Table makes it easy to see what's near, and what times are available. You can then make a one click reservation.
There is a fun evening treat called "Slack Key Concert" with great Hawaiian music. It moves from time to time, so check with the concierge at the place you stay.
Someone above recommended Pacific Whale watching for whale tours. They are great, but they use a large boat. If you want something closer to the whales (Jan-Mar) use one of the zodiac tours. We like Captain Jack's but there are many that will get you really close. Again, Lahaina (west Maui) activity.
If you get to the North Shore, the parks have lots of surfers and really big waves. Watch local TV for surf and wind reports, to make a worthwhile trip. You can explore the art town of Paia on the way.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
We just returned and really enjoyed the Old Lahaina Luau. We got lucky and were able to get reservations, despite the fact that it's often sold out in advance.

Driving down from Haleakala, we stopped at the Kula Botanical Garden. Not huge, but a relaxing walk through the pretty gardens with lots of plants and trees labeled. Interesting story about its creation by a single family. Also tried to see some of the glass blowing studios in the area, but the Hot Glass one was doing repairs that day, so no one in action.

Visited the aquarium and thought it was well done.

We tried lots of restaurants in Lahaina and Kaanapali. Often made same day reservations. It's not essential but we got a better table at at least one place because of having a reservation. We were disappointed at Longhi's..menu looked good but the quality of two of our meals wasn't as good as at most of the other similarly priced places. Loved our fish at Piai Fish Market in Lahaina.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Someone above recommended Pacific Whale watching for whale tours. They are great, but they use a large boat. If you want something closer to the whales (Jan-Mar) use one of the zodiac tours. We like Captain Jack's but there are many that will get you really close. Again, Lahaina (west Maui) activity.

I'm the one who recommended Pacific Whale Foundation. We don't care for the zodiacs. I like the larger boats, with a bathroom onboard. Also they have coffee and some food available. Since none of the boats can really get any closer to the whales than others, I'm not sure why you say you'd be closer to the whales in a zodiac.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
We just returned and really enjoyed the Old Lahaina Luau. We got lucky and were able to get reservations, despite the fact that it's often sold out in advance.

We were disappointed at Longhi's..menu looked good but the quality of two of our meals wasn't as good as at most of the other similarly priced places.

We have never made reservations for the Old Lahaina Luau until we arrived on Maui and we have never had a problem. Only one year we had to settle for our second choice of dates. It is true that it is usually full or close to it. We usually go in January or February, occasionally in December.

I am also not a fan of Longhi's. My wife likes it a lot better than I do.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I'm the one who recommended Pacific Whale Foundation. We don't care for the zodiacs. I like the larger boats, with a bathroom onboard. Also they have coffee and some food available. Since none of the boats can really get any closer to the whales than others, I'm not sure why you say you'd be closer to the whales in a zodiac.

My thoughts exactly.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

I can't speak for the Longhi's in Lahaina, but the one in Wailea is terrible. At least in my family's opinion it is.

happymum

TUG Member
Reaction score
We love the Zodiacs! Being low on the water makes it a much more intense experience for us. Different strokes ....
Also, because we often do a combination snorkel trip, it makes for easy in/out.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

All of the negative comments on Longhi's in Lahaina surprise me. We've always had a great experience there. The service can be a bit slow, but we're on island time, so who cares? The food has always been great. Our favorites are Opakapaka with grapes and Shrimp Longhi. It's also a great place to people watch - once we sat at a table next to Carlos Santana and his entourage and the last time we were there we sat two tables away from Mick Fleetwood and John McVie of Fleetwood Mac. We also were told once that Donald Fagan and Walter Becker of Steely Dan frequent Longhis often.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
As I said I can't speak for the Longhi's in Lahaina, but the problem we had with the one in Wailea was the food.

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't care for the larger PWF boats, either, and still prefer Trilogy's catamarans. It's the best of both worlds, IMO, and their ability to lower a hydrophone into the water so that you can hear the whales singing is fantastic.

As for food, our vacation cannot be complete without at least one trip to both Cool Cat Cafe for their burgers, and Da Kitchen, who has the best plate lunches I've ever had in my entire life.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I don't care for the larger PWF boats, either, and still prefer Trilogy's catamarans. It's the best of both worlds, IMO, and their ability to lower a hydrophone into the water so that you can hear the whales singing is fantastic.

The Pacific Whale Foundation boats also have the hydrophone so you can hear the whales sing.

It sounds like different strokes for different folks. It's great there all of these options.

We still love Kimo's in Lahaina. They bill themselves as the oldest restaurant in that area. I've been going there since the 1970's. They didn't use to take reservations, but now they do. When going for dinner we like to try to get there for sunset and request a table on the edge. Lunch is also fun, that is served downstairs in the bar area.

Last edited:

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Pacific Whale Foundation boats also have the hydrophone so you can hear the whales sing.

It sounds like different strokes for different folks. It's great there all of these options.

We still love Kimo's in Lahaina. They bill themselves as the oldest restaurant in that area. I've been going there since the 1970's. They didn't use to take reservations, but now they do. When going for dinner we like to try to get there for sunset and request a table on the edge. Lunch is also fun, that is served downstairs in the bar area.

Yeah, I was more referring to the Zodiak's there. As for PWF, I have more of an issue with the company itself, and choose not to give them my money.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Yeah, I was more referring to the Zodiak's there. As for PWF, I have more of an issue with the company itself, and choose not to give them my money.

Why is that?