• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 26 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  • TUG started 27 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $15,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $14 Million dollars
  • Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
  • Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Favorite Poconos Timeshare Property?

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone can share their experiences / opinions on the various Pocono timeshare properties?

What property is your favorite and why?

Considering potentially purchasing a deeded week, or Wyndham points for access to their properties for shorter stays.

Any thoughts?

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Definitely the 3brs at Villas at Fairway are the nicest. (I hear the smaller units are not great.) We haven't been there in a few years, but we love them.

If you are buying to trade and you want Wyndham, then Shawnee. But I doubt that you get much trading power from Shawnee, even in high summer. There are a couple of newish sections there that are nicer than the others. Shawnee used to have day use, so check into that if you are looking at Shawnee.

needhelp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Avenue Plaza
Wyndham CWS
Here is a thread on Wyndham's properties

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is a thread on Wyndham's properties
They talk about Crestview being the best at Shawnee, but I have never once seen it available for exchange on RCI--and I check that area constantly. I don't see any availability on II either. Is it ever available?

needhelp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Avenue Plaza
Wyndham CWS
They talk about Crestview being the best at Shawnee, but I have never once seen it available for exchange on RCI--and I check that area constantly. I don't see any availability on II either. Is it ever available?
I am a Wyndham owner, so I have not tried to book through RCI. Crestview doesn't have that many rooms, so it is hard to get. We stayed in them for spring break, I booked at the 10 month mark.
We have also stayed in Ridge Top and River Village.
River Village is not in the same area as the others, it near the Shawnee Inn. I did not like these rooms, the only good thing was the dedicated parking space and wood burning fireplace.
Ridge Top was older and outdated (compared to other Wyndham resorts) but they have plenty of space. We did get the mattress replaced for one of the beds in the 2nd bedrooms.
Both Ridge Top and River Village are townhouse style units.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a Wyndham owner, so I have not tried to book through RCI. Crestview doesn't have that many rooms, so it is hard to get. We stayed in them for spring break, I booked at the 10 month mark.
We have also stayed in Ridge Top and River Village.
River Village is not in the same area as the others, it near the Shawnee Inn. I did not like these rooms, the only good thing was the dedicated parking space and wood burning fireplace.
Ridge Top was older and outdated (compared to other Wyndham resorts) but they have plenty of space. We did get the mattress replaced for one of the beds in the 2nd bedrooms.

Its number in RCI begins with an A. That means something...I just can't remember what.

Have you gotten Crestview through II?

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort
We've stayed in Ridge Top Village and in Fairview. The Fairview units were o-l-d and really not kept up well. The Ridge Top one really wasn't horrible. Not as clean as I might have liked, but loads of space. Our big sticking point was the fact that the units weren't ready at checkin. We waited several HOURS for them to be ready, and then like I said, they weren't that clean. The location was nice, though. We've also stayed at Tanglwood up in Hawley, and Eagle Village at Tamiment. Shawnee was the best for location...but the Pocono resorts are most definitely older/more dated than any others we've stayed in.

gnipgnop

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We also stayed at Split Rock ~ in the Willowbrook section. We loved it there, it's dated but was clean and comfortable. We had the 2 bedroom unit which is A and B. Both sides are almost identical and it was ideal for two couples. Up at the main lodge there is a restaurant, a small cafe' (pizza & sandwiches), and a small market for essentials. Also there is a large indoor pool practically in the lobby. A car is a must.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I am a Wyndham owner, so ..........Ridge Top was older and outdated (compared to other Wyndham resorts) but they have plenty of space. We did get the mattress replaced for one of the beds in the 2nd bedrooms.

I am reading this thread because :

With Covid 19 likely a travel complication for the foreseeable future; I am starting to look at these
TOWNHOUSE STYLE UNITS for potential future vacations

PROS
no elevators
limited need for social distancing from other guests due to unit format.
most seem to have. version of “dedicated “ parking per unit.

CONS
older style units & furnishings.
Upkeep of (some) resorts with this type of TS unit.

For now we cannot drive to anything in USA - due to the border travel restriction-so I am really just doing research for 2021 or 2022.

moonstone

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
With Covid 19 likely a travel complication for the foreseeable future; I am starting to look at these
PROS
no elevators
CONS
For now we cannot drive to anything in USA - due to the border travel restriction-so I am really just doing research for 2021 or 2022.
We actually prefer townhouse style units, even before Covid. We like to be able to park in front of our front door and not have to schlep all our stuff (I bring lots!) from a parking lot through a building, up an elevator and along a hallway to our unit. Of course you don't always get a good view from a ground floor level but we had a lovely view into the forest from our unit at Shawnee Village last year and since there was nobody in the adjoining unit all week it was very quiet inside.

~Diane

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We also stayed at Split Rock ~ in the Willowbrook section. We loved it there, it's dated but was clean and comfortable. We had the 2 bedroom unit which is A and B. Both sides are almost identical and it was ideal for two couples. Up at the main lodge there is a restaurant, a small cafe' (pizza & sandwiches), and a small market for essentials. Also there is a large indoor pool practically in the lobby. A car is a must.
We also stayed at Split Rock many, many, many years ago. It was ok. The onsite amenities were excellent. It had a large indoor pool and a nice restaurant.. However, we will never return; our villa needed to be updated and our villa was just to dark inside for my spouse.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score

PROS
no elevators

CONS

I agree with you about the townhouse units. One more con, though--in some locations there are a lot of steps to get to your unit, and then of course many of them have steps inside. Just one more thing to think about for those who can't do steps.

needhelp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Avenue Plaza
Wyndham CWS
I agree with you about the townhouse units. One more con, though--in some locations there are a lot of steps to get to your unit, and then of course many of them have steps inside. Just one more thing to think about for those who can't do steps.
Yes, I agree with both of you.
But at Shawnee, the Ridge Top units we stayed in did not have dedicated parking. We went for Thanksgiving and we had to park in the no parking area in front of the dumpsters on multiple occasions. There are long walkway with steps to your car.
River Village has a dedicate spot, but there is a steep multi-tier stairway.

Last edited:

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, we stayed at River Village II years and years ago, when we were young and spry, and even then I remember being a little overwhelmed by the number of steps.

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses, appreciate the info.

I saw Tanglwood Resort mentioned, right by Lake Wallenpaupack. Any opinions on that property specifically?

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score

I saw Tanglwood Resort mentioned, right by Lake Wallenpaupack. Any opinions on that property specifically?
I feel like we might have stayed there in the 80s. Only the dimmest memories, unfortunately. How are the reviews?

Are we talking about visiting these timeshares, or buying them? We visit the Poconos every couple of years and enjoy our time at different timeshares, but honestly I wouldn't buy there unless it was one of the big places. And even then only if I wanted to stay there every year.

mpizza

TUG Member
Reaction score

I owned at Tanglwood and the units located right across the street from Lake Wallenpaupak were old, but maintained. The pool, activity center and check-in were all located near those units.

I recall that there were some units located in other areas (had to drive to them after checking-in.) I think ski side and golf course units. I understand those units and property have been sold.

We liked the proximity to Lake Wallenpaupak for fishing, boating and hiking. It is more of an independent place to stay than a resort with lots of on-site activities.

I understand Woodloch Resort has timeshares and that it is a highly-rated family resort and spa.

Maria