• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Favorite "off season" travel destination?

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
I know that theo and tonyg (and likely others!) think I am the best "lemonade" maker out there. I just enjoy going places, it doesn't really matter where. Call me Pollyanna! We're in the midst of a long weekend here in Rockland. We've enjoyed the contemporary art museum, done some shopping, had two great breakfasts out....a great mid-winter break. Others might see lemons, but I'm making lemonade out of the time away!

I go when we can (still tied to the school calendar), take what's available, and make the best of it. My family's favorite winter off season places are here in Maine. The mountains are "in season" in the winter, due to skiing. However, the coast is relatively easy to trade into or nab via getaway/extra vacation. We really enjoy Trade Winds on the Bay or Samoset. One of these days, we'll try Acadia Village or Harbor Ridge, or maybe we'll venture down toward Wells/Ogunquit. Those places are good for MLK weekend, or Feb break, and aren't far from home in the event of foul weather.

For spring break in April, we usually just stick with our owned week at Cold Spring. If the calendar shifts and we need to trade, the natives beg for Smuggs. :) (This year we're going to Vacation Village in the Berkshires. I'm sure that will be fine. We'll formulate a new list of things we enjoy doing in that area.) Yes, it's mud season, but we've got our list of things we enjoy in VT...the traditional eat-our-way-down-Rt-100, a trip to ECHO, thrift shopping....we fill a week pretty easily. We went to Jackson Gore Inn several years ago...another great spot!

Summer, we shift back to the mountains. Ski resorts make great summer vacations...some have better amenities than others, but we've only hit one we wouldn't return to, and that really didn't have to do with the accommodations. (Crazy housekeeping fee at Grand Summit Sunday River!) We've done Mt. Snow, Hunter Mountain, Bethel Inn, Massanutten and of course, Smuggs. They tend to be easier to trade into in summer than in winter.

Anyhow, interested in hearing where you go in the off-season. I've found that planning this way makes my TPU's go farther, and we're not fighting the crowds. (Nothing spoils a vacation for us quicker than loads and loads of people around.)

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Off season I like Myrtle Beach, SC and Banner Elk, NC. There is so much to do in both areas. You can add in coastal Maine from Kennebunkport to Wells in May and September if you consider that off season, which many do.

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
One of these days, we'll have to try to hit Banner Elk in early summer. I love seeing your posts about that place...looks to be right up our alley!

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
One of these days, we'll have to try to hit Banner Elk in early summer. I love seeing your posts about that place...looks to be right up our alley!
Let me add Chetola in Blowing Rock, NC, would fit what you like too.

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We like Williamsburg for spring break, and we really like Ocean City, Maryland. There are lots of good restaurants open with great specials, the air is fresh, the sun is usually shining, and you can walk on the boardwalk and look at the water. You can even ride your bike on the boardwalk! Not as much open as in season, and the water is probably freezing, but we're not that beachy, honestly.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
We went to the poconos (Wyndham Shawnee) the first week in March last year and really enjoyed it. That is the tail end of ski season there but not a reayl weeklong ski destination so availability is fine. We really enjoyed hiking through the lighter snow we got. Like you we also have gone to VT a lot in May and have loved it.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I am for New England in all 4 seasons! Of course, I am partial to Vermont and New Hampshire. We did go to Maine in April one year- snow on the golf course- still had a nice time. Drove up to Acadia and everything. Hey it was a break from work! And we did do Maine last Sept. 2018- including Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard.

I suppose if I went someplace out west in an off season, we would like Colorado. I would think places like California or Hawaii don't even have an off season.

Heck- we have even been to Florida and Arizona in the summer and enjoyed both!

I prefer off seasons now as there are a lot less people/traffic, and more parking etc.

I'm with you, missyrcrews! Vacations are what you make of them! There are always things to do and even doing nothing can be fun!

Last edited:

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some 55 or 60 years ago when I was young, pretty much broke and working in Manhattan I would rent apartments in Rockaway Beach in the Winter as rents (it being pretty much a Summer Resort) were dirt cheap. I loved walking the Boardwalk with the snow falling, the waves crashing in and absolutely no one anywhere in sight.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
We like Williamsburg for spring break, and we really like Ocean City, Maryland. There are lots of good restaurants open with great specials, the air is fresh, the sun is usually shining, and you can walk on the boardwalk and look at the water. You can even ride your bike on the boardwalk! Not as much open as in season, and the water is probably freezing, but we're not that beachy, honestly.
If you are willing to get as far as Williamsburg, you might want to try Virginia Beach. Unlike Ocean City, MD which has a summer population of 300,000+ and a winter population of under 8,000, Virginia Beach has a year round population of 400,000 so a lot more is open and available year round. Because of the track of the gulfstream the ocean at VB in January is usually about 10-15 degrees warmer than Ocean city and that can keep the whole area a little more temperate. In the winter if we can get away for only 3-5 days we head to Ocean city because it is 3 hrs away. If we can get off a full week we go to Virginia beach 4-5 hrs depending on traffic.

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you are willing to get as far as Williamsburg, you might want to try Virginia Beach. Unlike Ocean City, MD which has a summer population of 300,000+ and a winter population of under 8,000, Virginia Beach has a year round population of 400,000 so a lot more is open and available year round. Because of the track of the gulfstream the ocean at VB in January is usually about 10-15 degrees warmer than Ocean city and that can keep the whole area a little more temperate. In the winter if we can get away for only 3-5 days we head to Ocean city because it is 3 hrs away. If we can get off a full week we go to Virginia beach 4-5 hrs depending on traffic.
I bet even Ocean City's water is warmer in winter than the summer ocean is here. :)

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I bet even Ocean City's water is warmer in winter than the summer ocean is here. :)
40 degrees in Ocean City in January average . 55 degree in virginia beach in January average. Currently they are both around 45 degrees.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

We did Williamsburg and Virginia Beach during April spring break one year and it was really nice.

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score
We like Blue Mountain, Ontario or Mont Tremblant, Quebec , or Whistler, BC in the off season. Love the mountains.
I’m not sure if there is ever an off season in Paris, but we love visiting there in Oct. or Nov.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
We like Blue Mountain, Ontario or Mont Tremblant, Quebec , or Whistler, BC in the off season. Love the mountains.
I’m not sure if there is ever an off season in Paris, but we love visiting there in Oct. or Nov.

We're going to Blue Mountain this summer for the first time! (We're not hardy enough for the off-season, brrrr.)

aandmrun

TUG Member
Reaction score
We really enjoy going to Park City, Utah in the late fall. We usually go the last week of October and the leaves are still beautiful colors with a bit of snow every now and then. The hiking is terrific at this time because it is not quite ski season yet. Also, a lot of the restaurants offer very good bargains because the crowds are no longer there. It is a beautiful and relaxing time to visit this area.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
<snip>
I suppose if I went someplace out west in an off season, we would like Colorado. I would think places like California or Hawaii don't even have an off season.
<snip>
Summer months in Palm Desert/Palm Springs are off-season (it's hot).

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
Summer months in Palm Desert/Palm Springs are off-season (it's hot).
Indeed it is, but I love it. Great pool weather during the day and balmy breezes at night. Even though it's low season, however, it can be much more crowded than you might think. It used to be, years ago, that the desert was quiet in the summer, but not so much anymore, unfortunately.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Indeed it is, but I love it. Great pool weather during the day and balmy breezes at night. Even though it's low season, however, it can be much more crowded than you might think. It used to be, years ago, that the desert was quiet in the summer, but not so much anymore, unfortunately.
Not sure when you visited, but as a permanent resident in this desert I haven't enjoyed any 'balmy' breezes in the summer months. Perhaps I need to explore the definition of the word.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Recently at a Marriott presentation in Kauai, the salesman referred to my Timberlodge (Lake Tahoe) as a mud week. I think that's as close as we get to off-season. It's been fun as we've booked Memorial Week for the past 20 years and have photos ranging from snowflakes at the hot tub to bikinis at the lake.

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure when you visited, but as a permanent resident in this desert I haven't enjoyed any 'balmy' breezes in the summer months. Perhaps I need to explore the definition of the word.
Mid-summer, late evening, 90 degrees with 10 percent humidity, and breezy feels like heaven to me. Especially compared to June evenings on the coast when a sweatshirt is often needed. It may not be your cup of tea - so be it.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Great topic Missy as this has been on my mind recently. Specifically Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach in the winter for maybe 3/4 night stays. 2 adults and a 14YO. We don't need much...a local zoo, aquarium, mini golf, etc. These are locations we would never venture to in the summer and the beach is not the draw for us. As for weather, in the end, it would be warmer than where we are from. Anyone have thoughts on these locations?

On the topic of New England. So much time spent in NH, but I have yet to go in either April or May.....maybe this year :)
I do think that Newport, RI is a great off season destination. Especially during Presidents in week in February when they have a week long winter festival with so much to do for all ages.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like Williamsburg and Hilton Head.

I'm biased toward Williamsburg because it's my home town. I haven't lived there in 30 years, but I have family there. Because of the college and other industry, there is a good local presence that doesn't rely on tourism. That means that everything is open year round with the exception of some things in Colonial Williamsburg where they have rotational refurbishment. Believe it or not, I'm hanging out there this week at Manor Club. It isn't busy, but there is a restaurant week and the kids are back on campus. Very fun, although pretty cold.

Hilton is at it's best during the off season. It is beautiful year round. The weather is also wonderful, even in the winter, and most places are open year round. Just gravitate to the better places and not the tourist traps and you will have a great stay in December, January, February, and even September when it's still hot, but the ocean is perfect and the crowds are long gone.