• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Fauci once dismissed concerns about 'silent carriers' of coronavirus.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
At Sunday’s White House briefing, Dr. Anthony Fauci, the longtime director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, suggested that hundreds of thousands — or even millions — of “silent carriers” may be unwittingly spreading the coronavirus across the United States because they don’t realize they’re infected.

Fauci once dismissed concerns about 'silent carriers' of coronavirus. Not anymore.

Fauci has reason to suspect the asymptomatic rate could be as high as 50 percent. Researchers initially assumed the coronavirus would spread much like its notorious sibling, the virus that caused SARS — that is, only from people who were clearly sick with fever and cough. “Even if there’s a rare asymptomatic person that might transmit, an epidemic is not driven by asymptomatic carriers,” Fauci himself said on Jan. 28.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Yep, things change, attitudes change as our knowledge grows. All you have to do is look back at posts from folks here earlier in the year "Heck yes I'm still going on my trip to XYZ in March, April, June............................." to "No way I'm traveling".

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Fauci once dismissed concerns about 'silent carriers' of coronavirus. Not anymore.........
The analysis is only as good as the data provided. China lied, his analysis at that time was wrong because the data was flawed.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Dr Fauci is saying we should never shake hands again! The bolded part of his statement below is a bit concerning. Why is the task force different?

Compulsive hand washing is a symptom of clinical OCD. Now OCD is being normalized!

I think he should be more careful with what he says. Not sure he thinks through his words.

————-

Speaking about the eventual return to normal life, Dr. Fauci said: "When you gradually come back, you don't jump into it with both feet. You say what are the things you could still do and still approach normal. One of them is absolute compulsive hand washing. The other is you don't ever shake anybody's hands."

He also suggested that people might want to wear "cloth face protection" if they could not avoid being within six feet of others as life starts its return to normal.

When the host Kate Linebaugh pointed out that Fauci and others on the coronavirus task force did not stand six feet apart at pandemic briefings, the disease expert said: "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good here. The task force group is a little bit different.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dr Fauci is saying we should never shake hands again! The bolded part of his statement below is a bit concerning. Why is the task force different?

Compulsive hand washing is a symptom of clinical OCD. Now OCD is being normalized!

I think he should be more careful with what he says. Not sure he thinks through his words.

————-

Speaking about the eventual return to normal life, Dr. Fauci said: "When you gradually come back, you don't jump into it with both feet. You say what are the things you could still do and still approach normal. One of them is absolute compulsive hand washing. The other is you don't ever shake anybody's hands."

He also suggested that people might want to wear "cloth face protection" if they could not avoid being within six feet of others as life starts its return to normal.

When the host Kate Linebaugh pointed out that Fauci and others on the coronavirus task force did not stand six feet apart at pandemic briefings, the disease expert said: "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good here. The task force group is a little bit different.

I always thought seeing men shaking hands was disgusting. I would think doesn't it occur to them when the last time the hand they were shaking had been washed ?? And if they had coughed or sneezed , oh my :eek:. I also noticed it was car salesmen, timeshare salesmen and politicians who were always shaking hands, although others did to. Glad I'm a woman. And yes, I do admit I am a "bit" OCD

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think hand shaking and hand holding is gross. It's a part of church services that I've always resented. I have to immediately go to the restroom to wash my hands after service. People get offended when others don't want to shake hands when it has nothing to do with the other person. It's about being healthy. I know I am going to touch my face. My hair gets in my face and I have a dust allergy. I am going to touch my face. I don't want to touch your hands if I can't go wash my hands right afterward. Why are people offended by that?

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would prefer to greet people with neither. I do admit that I will reciprocate either handshakes or hugs that are offered.

Think about this for a minute. :ponder:

Shaking hands to greet one another is the human equivalent of dogs sniffing each other’s bottoms, scientists have revealed. We use the greeting as a way to determine if people have an unpleasant odor, according to a study from the Weizmann Institute of Science.

Also

A social chemosignaling function for human handshaking

Now I must admit, shaking hands is far better than smelling another's bottom. :eek:

Ponder this though. Why do we for the most part, shake a man's hand, but hug a women? :ponder:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I always thought seeing men shaking hands was disgusting. I would think doesn't it occur to them when the last time the hand they were shaking had been washed ?? And if they had coughed or sneezed , oh my :eek:. I also noticed it was car salesmen, timeshare salesmen and politicians who were always shaking hands, although others did to. Glad I'm a woman. And yes, I do admit I am a "bit" OCD

Women shake hands too. I was a hand shaker. I guess no more hand shaking or hugging in the new world.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Dr Fauci is America’s heartthrob. LOL

——-

Monykalyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fact is they just don't know as much as they need to, and each scientist continue to put forth a theory.
If you read the article it is peppered with "potentially" "don't know" "suspect". And until we have a better idea we won't know which mitigation factors are actually helpful.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Dr Fauci is America’s heartthrob. LOL

——-

Yes he is.

I saw him in an interview today and he basically said he had wrong information when he made the analysis that it would not spread, as China said that the virus was only spread from animal to human, not human to human. By the time knew it was human to human it was here already.

It just continues to make me think China had to know and why was there reason for keeping quiet?

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Fact is they just don't know as much as they need to, and each scientist continue to put forth a theory.
If you read the article it is peppered with "potentially" "don't know" "suspect". And until we have a better idea we won't know which mitigation factors are actually helpful.
The "experts" appear to be quite knowledgable about their areas of expertise, however, their thinking appears to be rigid and resistant to changes on the ground in real-time. They don't appear to be the flexible problem-solvers we need when dealing with a virus of unknown capacity to cause harm. I've heard experts at WHO, CDC, Ontario MOH, etc. take positions like "travel restrictions don't stop viruses," "face masks won't help," "hydroxychloroquine won't work against this virus," etc. They have been wrong on many of their positions over and over again. Their orthodox, dogmatic beliefs are not helping us IMO, however I think their subject matter expertise can be used by other more creative thinkers to help get us out of this mess.

I can't recommend this solution but if you are short on ventilators you have to come up with creative workarounds. I'm sure the WHO doesn't approve.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
The "experts" appear to be quite knowledgable about their areas of expertise, however, their thinking appears to be rigid and resistant to changes on the ground in real-time. They don't appear to be the flexible problem-solvers we need when dealing with a virus of unknown capacity to cause harm. I've heard experts at WHO, CDC, Ontario MOH, etc. take positions like "travel restrictions don't stop viruses," "face masks won't help," "hydroxychloroquine won't work against this virus," etc. They have been wrong on many of their positions over and over again. Their orthodox, dogmatic beliefs are not helping us IMO, however I think their subject matter expertise can be used by other more creative thinkers to help get us out of this mess.

I can't recommend this solution but if you are short on ventilators you have to come up with creative workarounds. I'm sure the WHO doesn't approve.
It is very easy to be a "Monday morning quarterback" and second guess. The medical field is filled with orthodoxy and peer review to protect themselves from the legal jackals waiting to pounce on them (no offense to the counselors on this board). They make decisions with the best information they have at the time. Prescribing meds off script is a big deal and can have legal consequences in a case where the patient has a poor prognosis. It does not help when medical organizations become politicized rather than concentrating on purely medical issues.

There is a growing concern that ventilators may be doing as much harm as good with the associated lung injury done by them. There is growing evidence that early intervention with a CPAP type device might be a better solution, but the politicians are screaming ventilators!

You are dealing with a profession where when you buck the establishment, you will find yourself drummed out whether you are right or wrong.

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
It is very easy to be a "Monday morning quarterback" and second guess.
With all due respect the "Monday morning quarterbacking" will be happening sometime in the future. IMO we're up to our a$$ in alligators right now with this virus and need courage and creativity to get ourselves out of this mess. If we wait on the double-blind studies and peer review to make decisions we are frozen by inaction, a deadly situation against a virus killing 14% more people each day in the United States, and an economy shrinking like it's 1930.

Last edited:

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
With all due respect the "Monday morning quarterbacking" will be happening sometime in the future. IMO we're up to our a$$ in alligators right now with this virus and need courage and creativity to get ourselves out of this mess. If we wait on the double-blind studies and peer review to make decisions we are frozen by inaction, a deadly situation against a virus killing 14% more people each day in the United States, and an economy shrinking like it's 1930.
So your call is to go back to the days of patent medicine? We ARE allowing the the off script use of some medicines. Hooking people up to respirators requires sedation, which we are also running in short supply. Are you willing for reckless experimentation, the kind of "Throw it at the wall and see if it sticks." Elon Musk philosophy? Well Elon is reckless, he is killing people with his autopilot and I would not want him to be my medical advisor.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
In 2008, President George W. Bush presented the Presidential Medal of Freedom to Fauci
"for his determined and aggressive efforts to help others live longer and healthier lives."

5e599a04fee23d4ca916d6e6