• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[False Alarm] Hawaiian Airlines No Longer Starwood Partner

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Starwood AmEX Still transfers points to Hawaiian Air

(Moved post to this thread - DeniseM)

I called, panicked as we are in need of organizing flights for June on Hawaiian. The person at Starwood said there is no problem and none anticipated for transferring points to Hawaiian.
Must go,
Liz

Last edited by a moderator:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
FWIW, MSC is still showing a 5% discount when purchasing tickets from Hawaiian. This coupon # is valid thru Dec 31, 2009. I would think Starwood and Hawaiian would only have this discount availability while they have a partnership which includes the right to transfer points...

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
I wonder if both the reps were incorrect. I see on SPG you can still transfer points and I also notice the airline below Hawaiian has a message that says No Transfer Option available.

I'm not going to panic as there are other airline options like American, Delta, etc... The United option isn't very good as the transfer is 2:1.

califgal

Reaction score
The person at Starwood said there is no problem and none anticipated for transferring points to Hawaiian.

This is all strange. Before I started this thread, I talked to a person at Hawaiian and then I phoned SPG they both confirmed it. I didn't mean to start a false panic and just wanted to let people know what I was told. :confused:
We use American Airlines and have been pleased with getting ffmiles pretty easy if we call exactly 329 days out at midnight (hmmm, guess we do jump thru a few hoops doing it)

I know Denise is a teacher, and those of us with school age kids, it's getting much more difficult finding the avail with the supersaver FF miles with American. Since we can only check in at WKORV on Fri, Sat, or a sun, we always have to stay a night or 2 at a hotel to take advantage of the lowest FF miles award.

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
This airline partnership is confusing. I checked with Hilton and learned that Hawaiin Airlines does not partner with Hilton. However, Hilton does partner with Continental. (I get Continental ffmiles every time I stay at a Hilton in addition to my HHonors points.) I checked with Continental and learned that Continental partners with Hawaiian Airlines.

Since there are more flights out of Houston with Continental than anyother airline and since I am a member of Starwood Preferred Guests, I don't think this should affect me if I decide to stay at the Princeville Resort. I think the best option for those of us who live on the mainland is not to participate with Hawaiin Airlines for ffmiles in the future.

Grandmama

TUG Member
Reaction score
We received an email 3 days ago from Hawaiian Airlines promoting a partnership with Starwood to earn extra miles and hotel discounts when flying on Hawaiin Air and staying at a Starwood Hotel. This would confirm that HA and Starwood are still in partnership.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Since we can only check in at WKORV on Fri, Sat, or a sun, we always have to stay a night or 2 at a hotel to take advantage of the lowest FF miles award.

Actually, you may check-in on any day of the week as long as you leave on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. I just made this type of reservation...

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Actually, you may check-in on any day of the week as long as you leave on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. I just made this type of reservation...

But - you have to add more days to your week to do that, don't you?

skim118

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow! What card is that? Is it a 1:1 conversion ratio?

Unfortunately Chase Rewards Plus Visa is no longer being offered online; for some time you could apply in person at a branch.

We used to get 5% cash-back(upto $600/year) initially; 2 years ago they stopped offering that card; for existing cardholders like us they offered 5 Chase points for every $ spent on gas/groceries/drugstores. From Chase's catalog you can convert 60,000 Chase points to 50,000 United miles.

The best part is that they sent 10 transferable 5,000 United mile certificates and we were able to top off our kid's United accounts to get to the 35,000 mile amount !

dss

TUG Member
Reaction score
It would be very shortsighted of SPG to let HA out of the SPG program. With the decline of options to the Islands right now and the heavy investment SPG/SVN has made in Hawaii, they would be well served to do everything in their power to make it as easy as possible for their customers to actually get to Hawaii.

Also, not as convenient, but you could always redeem SPG points for AA miles as they have a partnership with HA. From the Bay Area, neither of them are a great option to OGG. I would give anything to go back to when UAL was a standard redemption partner (Before Chase forced their hand to the 2:1 transfer option) as they are far and away the best choice from the Bay Area.

With SVN sales slowing down in Hawaii, you would think someone in SVN executive management would put in a call to their SPg counterpart to ask for help in Hawaii and to see if they could revisit the UAL relationship, but that is giving the SVN folks too much credit.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
But - you have to add more days to your week to do that, don't you?

Obviously - yes! And, of course this doesn't apply to everyone, but the option *is* there if you have enough SOs.

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Member
Reaction score
SPG confirmed my transfer of points to Hawaiian Air, made this morning (yes, in a panic). SPG has the advantage of adding 5,000 points for every 20,000 you transfer, so when I transferred 40,000, they added 10,000 for a 50,000 total, which with what we have in our mileage accounts now, should be enough.
Liz

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Starwood Lurker confirmed on flyertalk that the partnership between SPG and HA is not ending.

Michael

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Starwood Lurker confirmed on flyertalk that the partnership between SPG and HA is not ending.

Michael

Thanks! That's a big relief to many! :clap:

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC

Michael

Great news :whoopie: . Now I need to switch back to my SPG AMEX again....:rolleyes:.

califgal

Reaction score

I'm sorry i caused so much trouble..If Starwood Lurker said it's not ending , than that's that. He's great.

It's very weird that I had one person at Hawaiin tell me otherwise as well as the one person at SPG.

I transferred some points today so I hope it posts soon.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I, for one, appreciate your attempt to warn us, even if both the HA and SPG agent gave erroneous info.

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
I'm sorry i caused so much trouble..If Starwood Lurker said it's not ending , than that's that. He's great.

It's very weird that I had one person at Hawaiin tell me otherwise as well as the one person at SPG.

I appreciate the warning, too! I'd much rather be alerted to the possible changes than finding out about it after it's too late. Thanks for your posts on this subject.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I would have done the same thing and I appreciate you trying to give us a heads up, even if you were given the wrong Info. - THANKS! :hi:

BTW - I updated the title of the thread.

Last edited: