• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Fairfield Points Timeshare & Sheraton Vistana Resort question

Dave55123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a newbie and have been doing alot of reading. Great stuff!

We almost bought a timeshare from Sheraton developers while at Sheraton Vistana Resort (Orlando). We declined (due to cost), but recently won an Ebay auction, so we will own afterall via resale... much cheaper.

Is it worth buying a Fairfield timeshare for the points (more for local trips - 80k or less) and receive the free RCI membership? Other than the Ebay expense/closing cost and MF ($300 annual), the RCI membership off sets the MF in some respect, assuming everyone belongs to an exchange company.

Also, I assume the Fairfield points does not translate 1 for 1 for the Sheraton/RCI points. As I think the RCI points for the 2br/2ba Vistana is only worth ~60k points with a MF closer to $750.

Any advice or link for additonal reading would be appreciated. Thanks.

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Wyndham points are nice for the flexibility. No they don't equate 1:1 with other points systems. A quality 2Br/2Bath unit in primetime will be significantly more points than the 80k you mentioned. I own a small 77k points package with Wyndham and it wasn't enough for a week in a studio in New Orleans during prime time. Every resort has it's own points chart to determine how many points you'll need to reserve time. They season and day(s) of the week will have a bearing.

Also, make no mistake about it, nothing is free with Wyndham. You will be paying for your RCI membership through your MF's. Case in point, if you were to buy a points package that comes through a former fixed weeks deed, your MF's for the point equivelent for the same week will be more. Included in the add-on is the FSP administration as well as the RCI (or II if applicable) annual fee.

The real secret is to find a Wyndham points package with the lowest MF's you can find. The $300 you mention seems very low, as my 77k points package is a little over $500 but I also know that my points resort (Myrtle Beach) is a bit higher than average.

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are going to purchase Wyndam, you may want to purchase at least 154,000 pts, so that you can use your points within Wyndam for internal booking as well as banking within RCI. Some people get frustrated when they have smaller points packages as they can't book within Wyndham what they want. I own both Sheraton and Wyndham and only have 1 RCI account that I have through Wyndham. Go to the Wyndham Resorts website and note some places you may want to trade into internally and ask a member here how many points it will cost to gage what you would needs points wise to at least get an internal trip every other year.

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
I agree, nothing is ever free and more points will give more options.

Thanks TS Von and LPRSTN.

You're welcome. I should have added, regarding my comment on Wyndham and New Orleans. While my 77k points wasn't enough for even the six nights I wanted/needed, I was able to rent the additional 23,500 point needed at less per 1000 than what MF's would have cost me.

My perspective is no need to "buy" and be saddled with MF's on points you may not want or need every year. I was very happy with my experience in renting points . . . both renting out my 77k last year and then obtaining via rental this year :)

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I second that rent if you can Von. I however use all my points and still barter between friends for more... :eek: I think I have a travel addiction...

Dave55123

TUG Member
Reaction score
renting points...makes sense

Yes, the more I read the more I'm learning about MFs, renting, exchanging, etc.

For some of our potential vacation dreams, it might make sense to just rent a TS than getting committed from buying. But that might only be true for the locations for the next 1 - 3 years....

I'll research more before jumping into any thing.

Thanks.

CampingMan

Reaction score
I have a question about RCI's LastCall.

We signed (and are canceling) with Wyndham for 105k points and enrollment in RCI exchange. One of the sales reps said, "just go with a low points package, and you can buy through RCI LastCall a one week resort for $199 as much as you want.

Can anyone explain how this works? Do we still have to use our points, or since we're an RCI member, can we pay $199 for a one week stay somewhere without using any points?
If this is true, should I just buy a low Wyndham points package on ebay for cheap to save on MFs?

Also, do any of you actually use your points for air fare, car rentals, restaurants, like the sales rep said we could do through FairShare?

Obviously I'm very new at this.

Thanks!!

Jya-Ning

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a question about RCI's LastCall.

We signed (and are canceling) with Wyndham for 105k points and enrollment in RCI exchange. One of the sales reps said, "just go with a low points package, and you can buy through RCI LastCall a one week resort for $199 as much as you want.

Can anyone explain how this works? Do we still have to use our points, or since we're an RCI member, can we pay $199 for a one week stay somewhere without using any points?
If this is true, should I just buy a low Wyndham points package on ebay for cheap to save on MFs?

Also, do any of you actually use your points for air fare, car rentals, restaurants, like the sales rep said we could do through FairShare?

Obviously I'm very new at this.

Thanks!!

Last call you just pay cash. It usually has limited inventories. If RCI sees any chance to rent it out, it will be in the rental ste, not last call.

Air, Car rental in most of the time, you will need MF less than $3 per 1K. And if you have MF that low, it is cheaper to pay cash, and rent out your points.

Jya-Ning