• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Fair price - Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas

KyleReilly

Reaction score
I’ve been reading here quite a bit, and wanted to get your advice on this resale I’m looking at. it’s a 2 Bedroom lockoff Ocean Front Every other year, for 10,000 plus $2100 in closing (includes administration fees). Closing costs seem a bit high, about double what I’m seeing elsewhere, however, the price for every other year oceanfront seems on par with resales. Thoughts? Think it will pass ROFR?

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
I assume you mean OF at WKORV-North for that price.

I don't think it will pass ROFR, but there is only one way to find out. And if it does pass, you would be doing well on that purchase -- even if the closing costs are outrageously high.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I’ve been reading here quite a bit, and wanted to get your advice on this resale I’m looking at. it’s a 2 Bedroom lockoff Ocean Front Every other year, for 10,000 plus $2100 in closing (includes administration fees). Closing costs seem a bit high, about double what I’m seeing elsewhere, however, the price for every other year oceanfront seems on par with resales. Thoughts? Think it will pass ROFR?
If the price is on par with other resales get it from someone who isn't charging so much in closing costs. If it is someone like SMTN they won't negotiate about fees and closing cost so just think of it as $12,100 all in. It may pass ROFR, it might not. It maybe a little on the low side but you shouldn't offer more in hopes that it will be more likely to pass. If you lose 3-4 units than it might be time to offer more.

KyleReilly

Reaction score
I assume you mean OF at WKORV-North for that price.

I don't think it will pass ROFR, but there is only one way to find out. And if it does pass, you would be doing well on that purchase -- even if the closing costs are outrageously high.
Thank you - We are opening up Escrow, let's see how it goes. You are right, it is north (they sent me this listing when another wasn't going through). How did you identify it was north? Was it price point? One more thing, for North, isn't it true that even Studios have walk-out balconies (which is not the case for South)?

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Thank you - We are opening up Escrow, let's see how it goes. You are right, it is north (they sent me this listing when another wasn't going through). How did you identify it was north? Was it price point? One more thing, for North, isn't it true that even Studios have walk-out balconies (which is not the case for South)?

Here's WRORVN Oceanfront balcony:
IMG_20141228_152647.jpg

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas

KyleReilly

Reaction score
Do the studios at North have balconies? I know the South studios do not.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Yes. Studios in the North have them. Also the IV in the North are more desirable because the South could end up with a view of the road or parking lot.

rcv82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SMV
WKORV (OFD)
Westin Flex
MVC Trust
GTL
GP8
CWA
Do the studios at North have balconies? I know the South studios do not.

Most studios in South do not have balconies, but all of the ocean front studios do. Also the deluxe and center end cap studios in building 4 have them. And these balconies are larger than those at north.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
10,000 is reasonable for WKORV north EOY (I purchased an annual for 19,000) .

KyleReilly

Reaction score
Thank you all, I submitted my deposit last night. Crossing my fingers this goes through ROFR, my spouse and I really love the resort and would love to visit every other year.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We own there and love it. You got a great price. Please report here and on ROFR.net whether this passes so you can pay it forward.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
It is a reasonable price. I think $12100 will pass the ROFR for EOY, good luck!

dlpearson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN, SVV (Bella), MOC, MBP, 7MileBeach Club
I offered $9,300 about 6 months ago for a WKORN every other year ocean front, and it didn't pass. But I think you have a decent chance at $10k.

phofusion

Reaction score
From what I understand, Marriott factors in the closing cost fees the buyer is paying into the overall price when deciding whether or not they exercise ROFR. Although high, overpaying for the closing cost, the $2100 on this purchase, might actually turn out to be a positive. Fingers crossed for you, Good Luck!

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
From what I understand, Marriott factors in the closing cost fees the buyer is paying into the overall price when deciding whether or not they exercise ROFR. Although high, overpaying for the closing cost, the $2100 on this purchase, might actually turn out to be a positive. Fingers crossed for you, Good Luck!

If the unit is ROFRed is the closing agent eligible for the same closing cost? If so could this be a tactic for agents/discount warehouses to encourage owners to lowball the sales price to sell so it is ROFRed and sold quickly and they profit? i.e. they make more money than if they sold for market rate of $12,500 - $13,000 but for a lower commission. I believe that our closing costs a few years ago were a fraction of the $2100.

phofusion

Reaction score
If the unit is ROFRed is the closing agent eligible for the same closing cost? If so could this be a tactic for agents/discount warehouses to encourage owners to lowball the sales price to sell so it is ROFRed and sold quickly and they profit? i.e. they make more money than if they sold for market rate of $12,500 - $13,000 but for a lower commission. I believe that our closing costs a few years ago were a fraction of the $2100.

Yes, the selling agent if one is used is still due their commission as a sale will be transacted and completed. Closing costs are separate from the commissions the seller pays to the agent selling the time share, so this wouldnt factor into ROFR as its not something Marriott would be paying.

I can definitely see shady agents trying to advise sellers to sell as low as possible to get the quickest possible sale, cause no matter what they'll get paid whether or not ROFR is exercised or not.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
This is interesting. The buyer is paying net not much different than what we paid when you factor in the high closing costs. ($12,100 this deal vs $12,500 we paid all in).

If it is ROFRed buyer wasted time.
The agent makes a hefty commission and a reliable fast close if ROFRed.
The seller is screwed unless they wanted to get out of the TS quickly

Last edited:

wjarcher

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKOVRN, MKO, WLR, SVV, SDO
This is interesting. The buyer is paying net not much different than what we paid when you factor in the high closing costs. ($12,100 this deal vs $12,500 we paid all in).

If it is ROFRed buyer wasted time.
The agent makes a hefty commission and a reliable fast close if ROFRed.
The seller is screwed unless they wanted to get out of the TS quickly

Yup. Brokers get their commission regardless of the ROFR, and they just need an interested buyer to sign a contract (I got some low ball offer getting accepted quickly and later got ROFR'ed). In lots of cases though, the seller does not really care how much they are getting back (they just want it to be sold).

KyleReilly

Reaction score
Interesting - Yes, I didn't want to go with SMTN, but they seemed to have the best price for the Every Other Year. One thing that just rose a red flag for me was the contract, which slightly differed from the Good Faith agreement.

The Good Faith Deposit Agreement I signed Saturday states “Buyers 1st fee payment due: 1/2022”

The contract that came today states the following: “Seller to be responsible for 2020 maintenance fees and taxes. Buyer to start maintenance fee responsibility beginning in 2021 and forward. Resort will require payment of the 2021 maintenance fees to process the transfer. Resort may require payment of the 2022 maintenance fees to process the transfer.”

Therefore, agreement states I have to reimburse them for 2021 fees - is this standard and customary? Based on the original good-faith document, I was led to believe I would pay fees in 2022 (I know I pay annual dues even though its every other year usage, but believed my first dues would be in 2022. When I reached out to the broker, they said "The maintenance fees for an every other year ownership are broken down over 2 years. The owners did pay for the 2021 maintenance fees, as everything must be current and up to date for us to transfer. For us to start 2022 usage and get full usage we’d be responsible for the full maintenance fee not partial, sir. It may have been an administrative error on my part if the escrow was incorrect, but the contract we have verified and reviewed by the whole team before going forward." I further clarified and was told "If we wanted to start 2022 usage, we’d have to reimburse the seller for the partial fees he paid this year and the next fee which comes in January that belong to the 2022 usage. This is normal when buying an every other year ownership. one year they bill the maintenance fee higher than the next. One year always comes in at about $1600 and the other about $1300. The exact amount will be in the closing statement at closing."

Is that normal and customary?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
AFAIK. Yes. EoY fee is split over prior year and usage year. Otherwise they would be subsidizing your stay in 2022 with 2021 MF. Do you want to stay in summer? Make sure you get this closed quickly so you get 2022 usage with 12 month preference to book at midnight prior year (this summer)for best OF unit. (You already missed whale season for 2022 with owners preference.)

Otherwise you will need to bank the points by July 1 2022 and use SOs however you likely lose oceanfront stay preference as an OF owner. They become expensive Staroptions and you won't start to get true payback for your OF premium purchase until 2024.

Can you find an EOY odd for a similar closing price of $12k and no 2021 MF (or 2021 MF for free) so you are not rushed and could use in 2023? or negotiate the 2021 MF out of the deal since you will only get 1/2 year preferential OF usage in 2022?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
Interesting - Yes, I didn't want to go with SMTN, but they seemed to have the best price for the Every Other Year. One thing that just rose a red flag for me was the contract, which slightly differed from the Good Faith agreement.

The Good Faith Deposit Agreement I signed Saturday states “Buyers 1st fee payment due: 1/2022”

The contract that came today states the following: “Seller to be responsible for 2020 maintenance fees and taxes. Buyer to start maintenance fee responsibility beginning in 2021 and forward. Resort will require payment of the 2021 maintenance fees to process the transfer. Resort may require payment of the 2022 maintenance fees to process the transfer.”

Therefore, agreement states I have to reimburse them for 2021 fees - is this standard and customary? Based on the original good-faith document, I was led to believe I would pay fees in 2022 (I know I pay annual dues even though its every other year usage, but believed my first dues would be in 2022. When I reached out to the broker, they said "The maintenance fees for an every other year ownership are broken down over 2 years. The owners did pay for the 2021 maintenance fees, as everything must be current and up to date for us to transfer. For us to start 2022 usage and get full usage we’d be responsible for the full maintenance fee not partial, sir. It may have been an administrative error on my part if the escrow was incorrect, but the contract we have verified and reviewed by the whole team before going forward." I further clarified and was told "If we wanted to start 2022 usage, we’d have to reimburse the seller for the partial fees he paid this year and the next fee which comes in January that belong to the 2022 usage. This is normal when buying an every other year ownership. one year they bill the maintenance fee higher than the next. One year always comes in at about $1600 and the other about $1300. The exact amount will be in the closing statement at closing."

No. We own two EOY (odd and even) and the MFs for each are identical every year.

Last edited:

wjarcher

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKOVRN, MKO, WLR, SVV, SDO

It depends on the negotiation. Some of my biennial purchases do not need me to reimburse. If you add the reimbursement and admin fees to this, it does not look like a deal that you cannot miss. The market is pretty crazy recently compared with late 2019 (before covid) and you can find better deals if you are patient. I don't know your plan next year, by the time this gets closed, you missed half of 2020 for the opportunity of booking at 12-months.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
It depends on the negotiation. Some of my biennial purchases do not need me to reimburse. If you add the reimbursement and admin fees to this, it does not look like a deal that you cannot miss. The market is pretty crazy recently compared with late 2019 (before covid) and you can find better deals if you are patient. I don't know your plan next year, by the time this gets closed, you missed half of 2020 for the opportunity of booking at 12-months.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Missed half of 2020? I think you missed it all :giggle: This looks like an even year EOY so 2022 and nothing missed.