• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Explorer Collection Experiences??

crjask

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am exploring (pun intended) my options with elected Destination points from cancelled reservations. If I cancel now I can use my expiring banked points for Interval. If I wait, the points (5K) will go into a holding account. I am thinking the holding account may be a better option for us.

Can anyone explain how the Explorer Collection works? Can points from a holding account be used for it within the 120 day restriction?
Is it any good? I am thinking we may want to treat ourselves to a luxury hotel after this is over!

Can people who have used it share their experiences? Thanks for any information.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m not completely clear on what you are asking.
If you are asking can you have MVC convert BANKED points into a week and deposit that into II to be exchanged into a non Marriott over the next 2 years the answer is yes.
If you are asking if the same can be done with holding account points the answer is no.

Katfan

Reaction score
We used points in a holding account for a cruise through the Explorer Collection. Since we also needed to borrow a hundred or so points from the following use year we had to call to book. Not sure if you have to call with hotel booking just using the holding account points. We had no problems at all with the process. I have looked at the hotel offerings and some seem better deals than others (just like the cruise options). If you are going to lose the points then it doesn't really matter if the booking is a good use of points - something is better than nothing. And we had a wonderful time on our cruise!

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
We used points in a holding account for a cruise through the Explorer Collection. Since we also needed to borrow a hundred or so points from the following use year we had to call to book. Not sure if you have to call with hotel booking just using the holding account points. We had no problems at all with the process. I have looked at the hotel offerings and some seem better deals than others (just like the cruise options). If you are going to lose the points then it doesn't really matter if the booking is a good use of points - something is better than nothing. And we had a wonderful time on our cruise!
Did you book the cruise within 60 days of setting sail. Its curious that they let you use Holding Account points for this.

crjask

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just did a live chat on MVC and was told that points in a holding account can be used for hotels and cruises but not airfare or golf. I think that is good news for all of us who will be trying to use holding points next year from this year's canceled reservations.
I have decided I would rather have the points go into the "extended" holding account then put them in II. We are retired and are not locked into a short travel period like young families.

Katfan

Reaction score
Yes we had to wait for the 60 day window to book the cruise. Booked in late October 2017 for a Christmas 2017 cruise. Points expired on December 31, 2017 so it was definitely use them or lose them. In July 2017 we canceled a 10 day CA trip for September. DH decided he couldn’t wait any longer for knee replacement surgery.