• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Explain how points work

happybaby

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't understand how the point system works. I saw on TUG in Holiday Group timeshare resales ---- Ocean High in OC MD on sale for 564.00 plus other fees, etc Still not a bad price.

It gives you 29500 pts per year. Now I want to exchange this for ex. FL Some resorts are asking 90,000 pts. Do you pay the difference in cash, how much Don't get it !!!!!!

Never understood how the pts system worked. dah....

With pts, can you travel more and/or get easier exchanges?

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The best way to start is think of a resort hotel that charges different prices depending upon the season. A room that would cost you $175 during peak season can be had for $98 during low season. There is nothing complicated about this. Resort hotels have posted seasonal prices all the time.

Points work the same way. The unit that you buy has a certain cash (point) value, depending upon the season that you buy. Mid summer in Ocean City is going to be worth much more than a February week. You can then use that cash (the number of points that your resort week is worth) to buy another week somewhere else. If that other resort is worth less than yours, you get to keep some of the cash (points) to use on another purchase. If your week is worth less, you need to save up to afford the more expensive resort.

The Ocean High week that you are looking at is for an April type week at a so-so resort. That is not high season (or anywhere near it) at OC; nor is the resort top rated. Not surprisingly, 29,500 is not a lot of points (especially for a 2 bedroom). If you want to trade into another resort and break even, you can trade into something worth about as much as an April OC week is worth.

You asked a lot of other questions, but I think that I have got you started. In the end, I would pass on this deal. (Another way of putting it is would you buy an April week in OC for trading purposes. Probably not.)

Hope this helps.

happybaby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Roger thanks

Guess I missed seeing it's an April week. Was just looking to get prices.

RCI told me (I have another post under exchanging) that if I bgt a resort into pts, my 2 week resorts sould be worth 38,000 and 32,500 pts.

One VC told me if I wanted a pt resort at 90,000 pts and only used 30,000 then I pay the difference in cash at .002 cents $120.00 plus the 1 br fee of 99.00
I found that hard to believe, so I called back and another VC said no no she doesn't know what she is talking about. It's .02 cents So 60,000 pts would be 1200.00

That's alot of cash!!!!

Just looking and trying to decide what to do. Just past few years, we can't get any decent exchanges in the summer when my DH has a scheduled vacation. ( he can't chg weeks)

We did get HGVC at Seaworld this past May a 3br for 8. But not real prime time. Just after mother's day and before Mem. Day Guess some was luck also Now no place to go in August. (DH may have to look in other months for vacations, but working in a hot mill, likes some time off in the summer) Also, August so prone to hurricanes SE coast