• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Expiring RCI Points -- what to do?

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a small quantity of RCI Points (27K) expiring at the end of this month. To extend them for a year is $99. Are there any other good options for getting some value out of these points? Anything that doesn't expire?

Jim

caribbean

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
One time I had some points that I could not book before they would expire. I used them to purchase 2 Disney tickets. Been too long ago to remember how much it cost, but maybe something like that.

janej

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are these points from last year? You can roll them over once for free. If these have already been rolled over once, did you make any reservation with this year's points? I was once in this situation and found that I used current year points before last year's. RCI changed my reservation to use older points so I could have another year.

gorevs9

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unless you are getting a ton of points next year, $99 doesn't seem like too much of a cost to extend them.
Is there any place within a days drive where you can take an extended weekend trip or book a 7000 pt vacation? Any of your friends or relative looking willing to take a short notice trip?

If all else fails, you could list the Points available on the Last Minute rental site. There might be someone who use a few extra "short term" points (Even if you just gave them away).

Last edited:

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Yes, these are points that have already rolled once. I inquired about the Disney passes, but was told they no longer do those. As far as I can gather, there's nothing available that doesn't expire. I will probably just extend them. Thanks again for the advice. Jim

janej

TUG Member
Reaction score
You might want to start looking for 09 exchange now. If you find something you can use, $99 is not too bad. I found good availability for summer 09. 27k can get you a one bedroom in many places.

boyblue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Instead of $99 to extend why not book your next trip. Can you nail down a week that you would be off for sure next year or the following year.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Instead of $99 to extend why not book your next trip. Can you nail down a week that you would be off for sure next year or the following year.

With RCI Points, the trip has to be booked and taken by the Points expiration date. So I'd have to go somewhere this month (unless I spend the $99 to extend).

glenn1000

TUG Member
Reaction score
How about using the points towards airline tickets? I know that the system has changed recently but we were able to burn a bunch of points for tickets that were not a great deal relative to paying cash but we were able to use points that would have otherwise expired and been lost, plus we got FF miles when we flew.