• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Expiring Points

Finntastic

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have 200 points expiring May 31/22. They can not be transferred. I can book room and put somebody on reservation. I had booked room in Branson for May 23 but no interest. Do you think I'd have better luck in Fort Lauderdale. I could book a studio on quite a few days or a two bedroom but only one day available. I'm probably going to just have to lose the 200 points. Marriott has been absolutely no help.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Add 125 points to get $100 in resort credit if you are going somewhere that offers that within a year.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
I have 200 points expiring May 31/22. They can not be transferred. I can book room and put somebody on reservation. I had booked room in Branson for May 23 but no interest. Do you think I'd have better luck in Fort Lauderdale. I could book a studio on quite a few days or a two bedroom but only one day available. I'm probably going to just have to lose the 200 points. Marriott has been absolutely no help.

You may have better luck in Fort Lauderdale, but 1 night there in a studio would have limited takers since most people probably wouldn't look for a timeshare rental for 1 night. Why don't you just list the points on vacationpointexchange at an attractive price (say 40c/point) and offer to make a reservation for someone. Maybe you will salvage $80. And if not, it's only 200 points - that's not too much to lose. You'd get 2-3 times that amount at an Owner Update.

You mention Marriott has been no help - but what would you like them to do? If these points cannot be transferred then either they were already banked, or you rented them from someone. Should they make an exception and let you bank them till May 2023? For what reason should they do that or anything else?

I rented ~4000 points for 2023 knowing I would need to make a reservation that is around 3100 to 3900 points, depending on availability I would see when the reservation window opened. I ended up using 3200 of the points. Now I have till December 2023 to figure out what to do with about 800 nontransferable points. If I can't do that, I will lose about $550. I'm totally fine with that and I'd view that as part of the cost of making a choice to not elect points for my enrolled weeks in 2023 - points which would also be transferable or bankable through mid-2025. But I wouldn't expect any favors from MVC - I knew the rules in advance.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
200 points is a rounding error in what has been lost due to the pandemic....consider yourself fortunate.

sox21

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Your Audience is really limited because the reservation is one day. So you need to get someone local or someone who happens to already have a reservation and is looking to add the specific day you have. No one will travel by plane for one day. Put it up on the last minute forum and if it doesn’t go, no big deal. Maybe even pay it forward and offer it up for free. I wouldnt lose sleep over 200 points.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

You asked this same question back on April 11th, 2022. Weren't you able to follow any of the advice provided back then?

Kind of difficult to do something now in light of the fact they're useless in 12 days.......

Best of luck!

Venter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Club Son Antem, Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve, Marriott Vacation Club @ Los Suenos, MVC points, Sheraton Lakeside Terrace, Sheraton Flex, Westin Flex, Aventuras
I PM'd you this AM but never got a reply back.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott grand vista
Ko olina
Canyon villas
Borrow 200 pts and buy insurance for next year! Get a golf certificate, car rental credit… something. We hate to lose pts