• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Expiring 2020 Holiday Inn Club points

MB59

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Desert Club Las Vegas
Anyone has any idea how to use the excessive points that was accrued in 2020 that was unable to convert into HIG credits? I was told by their customer service staff after I found out that I couldn't convert my Holiday Inn Club points to HIG that I could use those points for air tickets, cruises and car rental and I have until June 2022 to use them. But I found out today when using points to purchase air tickets, they redeemed the points from my 2021 point inventory instead of 2020 points. I feel cheated and upset because Holiday Inn Club lied to their members and took away the ability to convert unused club points into HIG credit in 2020 amidst the pandemic. Thanks for your help!

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara
Anyone has any idea how to use the excessive points that was accrued in 2020 that was unable to convert into HIG credits? I was told by their customer service staff after I found out that I couldn't convert my Holiday Inn Club points to HIG that I could use those points for air tickets, cruises and car rental and I have until June 2022 to use them. But I found out today when using points to purchase air tickets, they redeemed the points from my 2021 point inventory instead of 2020 points. I feel cheated and upset because Holiday Inn Club lied to their members and took away the ability to convert unused club points into HIG credit in 2020 amidst the pandemic. Thanks for your help!

It is unfortunate, but HICV did extent the expiration date a couple of times, they issued 50k free points to use in 2020, removed all booking fees and point shield fees for 6 to 7 months, and offered 50% rebate on all RCI bookings until 12/31. So they did a lot for us, I think. They did lower the convertion to ihg.

The best way to use/spend a bunch of points is to book RCI points exchange for longer than than 14 days as the exchange fee on points is capped out at $288. If you like Hawaii or any other location, you can setup an ongoing search and aim for a nice resort for over 14 days. I was able to book W. 57 in NY for September, and there was lot of availability for September and October 2021 that was gone in a week. I also got 50% rebate for booking a HGVC Hawaii unit.

The other way is to try to rent out your points. They rent for $7-$8 per 1k or book a popular week and rent it out and recoup some of the maintnance.

Later this month and begin next month, you can start booking Thanksgiving, Christmas, and new years 2021 in HICV, and at least have the points booked in something you can sell or use.

Converting points to airline, rentals, cruises, is usually a bad way to spend your points as conversation is bad. To Ihg works better, specially if you have their credit card and get that 4th night free.

Hopefully someone else has others ideas on best uses for those 2020 points.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MB59

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Desert Club Las Vegas
It is unfortunate, but HICV did extent the expiration date a couple of times, they issued 50k free points to use in 2020, removed all booking fees and point shield fees for 6 to 7 months, and offered 50% rebate on all RCI bookings until 12/31. So they did a lot for us, I think. They did lower the convertion to ihg.

The best way to use/spend a bunch of points is to book RCI points exchange for longer than than 14 days as the exchange fee on points is capped out at $288. If you like Hawaii or any other location, you can setup an ongoing search and aim for a nice resort for over 14 days. I was able to book W. 57 in NY for September, and there was lot of availability for September and October 2021 that was gone in a week. I also got 50% rebate for booking a HGVC Hawaii unit.

The other way is to try to rent out your points. They rent for $7-$8 per 1k or book a popular week and rent it out and recoup some of the maintnance.

Later this month and begin next month, you can start booking Thanksgiving, Christmas, and new years 2021 in HICV, and at least have the points booked in something you can sell or use.

Converting points to airline, rentals, cruises, is usually a bad way to spend your points as conversation is bad. To Ihg works better, specially if you have their credit card and get that 4th night free.

Hopefully someone else has others ideas on best uses for those 2020 points.

Good luck!

Thank you! So, I can use my 2020 points to book Orange Lake resorts or RCI resorts? Have never done those before. I always just convert my points to IHG.

I plan to cancel my air ticket purchase tomorrow. The agent guaranteed me that I was using the 2020 points. I didn't know that there were benefits offered to the members due to the pandemic. They were not published anywhere and the customer service staff didn't tell me anything except for not being able to convert to IHG.

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
Need to call , they have worked very hard rearranging points so this doesn’t happen. They don’t like doing it till the week is used to assure one has been able to go.

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara
Thank you! So, I can use my 2020 points to book Orange Lake resorts or RCI resorts? Have never done those before. I always just convert my points to IHG.

I plan to cancel my air ticket purchase tomorrow. The agent guaranteed me that I was using the 2020 points. I didn't know that there were benefits offered to the members due to the pandemic. They were not published anywhere and the customer service staff didn't tell me anything except for not being able to convert to IHG.
Yes, absolutely, you can use 2020 points to book any Holiday Inn Club Vacation resort up to 10 month out. You only pay the booking fee and point shield if you want to protect the points. RCI works differently, you have to find an exchange first before the points are deposited into RCI, but they should take 2020 points first to make any RCI reservation into any year.

I am searching RCI daily for good opportunities, if you want, send me a PM with where you would like to travel in 2020, and if I see something, I will send you a message to book it. Or like I said before, you can setup an ongoing RCI search for a location, resort, or list of resorts that you would like to travel in 2021 and the system will book it for you. HICV has an RCI dedicated phone line for us and they are very knowledgeable on our system. Their number is 888-724-0659 (RCI Service Line for HICV)

It was weird the way they "announced" these benefits... One day I saw 50k added to my account, and I am in the HICV FB group and everyone started to say the same thing. Then they send out emails to some members (not me) about that and the RCI rebate. I got my email about a month later, after leaning from the group too. I really do not think they have made some formal announcement, besides their Covid Page, but that was more related to resorts closing, opening, and reduced capacity.

I will also recommend you review the 2021 Member Guide that just came out. HICV added 3 new resorts and there is more explanation on the way the club works.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
If you received 50,000 bonus points those points were originally set to expire 12/31 but we extended to I believe April. If you are using them within HICV, travel needs to take place by the expiration date. You can also use them in RCI and with RCI I believe you just have to book that date. I wouldn't wait until the last day to do that though.

You regular 2020 points roll over like they normally do but I believe they gave extra time for those until June 2022.
If you points are 2019 that already rolled over, then they extended those until June 2021. You have to use those in HICV by that date.

You should be able to look at your expiring points and see the dates for the various points. Look before you start booking because they don't always pull from the earliest expiring points.

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite

Why own a timeshare if all you do is convert the points to IHG? Wouldnt it be cheaper in the long run just to buy IHG points when you need them. You lose alot of value by converting all your points to IHG every year.

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why own a timeshare if all you do is convert the points to IHG? Wouldnt it be cheaper in the long run just to buy IHG points when you need them. You lose alot of value by converting all your points to IHG every year.

This is a great question and I had to ask myself the same thing. Like many others on this board, we bought our timeshares when our families were younger. Now our/my vacationing has morphed into something much different. I do not use full week timesharing like I did back in 1980-2000. My kids are adults and always want to go somewhere on the spur of the moment. Once I joined HICV/HIVC, I found the use for hotel stays to be of great benefit to me. I used them for my daughter's wedding to get extra rooms for out of town guests, my son likes last minute travel, etc.
Neither of them wants to cook in a timeshare unit like we did when they were kids.

Plus, I got into HICV/HIVC relatively inexpensively, so while I realize that I am converting at a loss, it still works out for me. For this and other reasons, I am still hesitating on asking the Horizon program to take back my points. But everyone's situation is different.

Just this morning I found out that we can transfer our points to IHG online. The last time I tried to do this, we had to call in to the customer service center. Wow, I would not have stayed on the line for as long as I did if I had known this before.

Plus, not on point, I did not get any extra 50,000 points like some others are reporting here.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Plus, not on point, I did not get any extra 50,000 points like some others are reporting here.
Not everyone got the extra 50,000. The ones that did, I believe had no status and were not allowed to bank any points to IHG this year. Others with status were limited to the number of points they could convert but still could.

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
This is a great question and I had to ask myself the same thing. Like many others on this board, we bought our timeshares when our families were younger. Now our/my vacationing has morphed into something much different. I do not use full week timesharing like I did back in 1980-2000. My kids are adults and always want to go somewhere on the spur of the moment. Once I joined HICV/HIVC, I found the use for hotel stays to be of great benefit to me. I used them for my daughter's wedding to get extra rooms for out of town guests, my son likes last minute travel, etc.
Neither of them wants to cook in a timeshare unit like we did when they were kids.

Plus, I got into HICV/HIVC relatively inexpensively, so while I realize that I am converting at a loss, it still works out for me. For this and other reasons, I am still hesitating on asking the Horizon program to take back my points. But everyone's situation is different.

Just this morning I found out that we can transfer our points to IHG online. The last time I tried to do this, we had to call in to the customer service center. Wow, I would not have stayed on the line for as long as I did if I had known this before.

if you dont mind me asking, how many points do you convert every year?

MB59

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Desert Club Las Vegas
Yes, absolutely, you can use 2020 points to book any Holiday Inn Club Vacation resort up to 10 month out. You only pay the booking fee and point shield if you want to protect the points. RCI works differently, you have to find an exchange first before the points are deposited into RCI, but they should take 2020 points first to make any RCI reservation into any year.

I am searching RCI daily for good opportunities, if you want, send me a PM with where you would like to travel in 2020, and if I see something, I will send you a message to book it. Or like I said before, you can setup an ongoing RCI search for a location, resort, or list of resorts that you would like to travel in 2021 and the system will book it for you. HICV has an RCI dedicated phone line for us and they are very knowledgeable on our system. Their number is 888-724-0659 (RCI Service Line for HICV)

It was weird the way they "announced" these benefits... One day I saw 50k added to my account, and I am in the HICV FB group and everyone started to say the same thing. Then they send out emails to some members (not me) about that and the RCI rebate. I got my email about a month later, after leaning from the group too. I really do not think they have made some formal announcement, besides their Covid Page, but that was more related to resorts closing, opening, and reduced capacity.

I will also recommend you review the 2021 Member Guide that just came out. HICV added 3 new resorts and there is more explanation on the way the club works.
Thank you for the advice. It turns out that I cannot cancel the air ticket purchased through Holiday Inn Travel. They are able to refund the processing fee within 24 hours but not able to refund all the points redeemed. What a bummer. I was unlucky to get connected with someone not familiar with their booking policy and was miss-informed about the 2020 club point usage and the air ticket cancellation policy. Everything is now set in concrete. I just wish I have better ways to spend my 2020 points. Also, I didn't get 50k bonus points last year. You are probably in the Elite group.

MB59

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Desert Club Las Vegas
450,000 points which turn into 360,000 IHG points. That's why it will be difficult for me to use them all for resort stays within a year. It is very bad for me that I wasn't able to convert my 2020 points to IHG. The IHG points don't expire and I can save them for on the spur and short travel like you. My husband passed away and kids all grown up; it is harder for me to travel alone. If you don't mind, how many points do you convert? I am just curious.

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara
Thank you for the advice. It turns out that I cannot cancel the air ticket purchased through Holiday Inn Travel. They are able to refund the processing fee within 24 hours but not able to refund all the points redeemed. What a bummer. I was unlucky to get connected with someone not familiar with their booking policy and was miss-informed about the 2020 club point usage and the air ticket cancellation policy. Everything is now set in concrete. I just wish I have better ways to spend my 2020 points. Also, I didn't get 50k bonus points last year. You are probably in the Elite group.
You are welcome! I have no status on HICV as I purchased resale. I remember reading some comments that maybe you got the 50k if you had a 2020 reservation, or if a 2020 reservation was cancelled. But never confirmed if that was the case. I had both instances: several reservations in 2020, 2 RCI exchanges that got cancelled by HGVC with 2019 points, and my HICV PCB June booking was cancelled too.

I am attaching a couple of screenshots to keep as record, as I could not find the original email.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 9.28.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 9.28.10 PM.png
    222.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 9.28.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 9.28.57 PM.png
    233.4 KB · Views: 58

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score

I have 390,000 HICV HIVC points each year. I usually convert about 200,000 and use the rest for HICV HIVC vacations. However, I totally missed the deadline last year, so I still have points in my account which I must use by the end of 2021.

I did pay my 2021 fees and converted my entire points package - 390,000/ 2021 points - into IHG. In my experience, they used to limit the amount of points or round them up. Also, I did NOT know you could do this online, but you had to call and speak to a rep. As to both of these points, I did it online a few days ago. And I was able to do the entire points rather than a limited number of points.

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I see many similarities to your post: I am also widowed and the kids don't use the timeshares like we did when they were growing up. Plus, I got my points package in Las Vegas Desert Club!

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
450,000 points which turn into 360,000 IHG points. That's why it will be difficult for me to use them all for resort stays within a year. It is very bad for me that I wasn't able to convert my 2020 points to IHG. The IHG points don't expire and I can save them for on the spur and short travel like you. My husband passed away and kids all grown up; it is harder for me to travel alone. If you don't mind, how many points do you convert? I am just curious.

I see many similarities to your post: I am also widowed and the kids don't use the timeshares like we did when they were growing up. Plus, I got my points package in Las Vegas Desert Club!

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have 390,000 HICV HIVC points each year. I usually convert about 200,000 and use the rest for HICV HIVC vacations. However, I totally missed the deadline last year, so I still have points in my account which I must use by the end of 2021.

I did pay my 2021 fees and converted my entire points package - 390,000/ 2021 points - into IHG. In my experience, they used to limit the amount of points or round them up. Also, I did NOT know you could do this online, but you had to call and speak to a rep. As to both of these points, I did it online a few days ago. And I was able to do the entire points rather than a limited number of points.
What would you estimate is the value $ you get out of 200,000 vacation points when you use with IHG? How many nights and what would be the average cost of those hotel nights?

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
If you want a comparison 200,000 points to IHG would cost $1000 straight from IHG when they offer the buy in a couple times a year with 100% match.
most times this would be cheaper than the MF’s from HICV ownership conversion with the 4/5 ratio.

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
If you want a comparison 200,000 points to IHG would cost $1000 straight from IHG when they offer the buy in a couple times a year with 100% match.
most times this would be cheaper than the MF’s from HICV ownership conversion with the 4/5 ratio.

What is this buy in you speak of?
How do I look into that. Don’t know we have ever done or heard of that which as you mentioned would be cheaper

We transfer some points but not a ton

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara
How do I look into that. Don’t know we have ever done or heard of that which as you mentioned would be cheaper

IHG hotel reward nights start at around 10k IHG points. They range from 10k - 50k, and I might have seen some hotels nights for over 70k. I just did some searches in Manhattan, PCB, where I have seen then for 50k or over, and they are currently below the usual point cost.
There is a way to get a 4th night free if you book 3 reward nights and use ihg platinum cc.

To check actual point cost, go to ihg website and on rate preference, click reward night. This will show you current point values.

They used to have a quarterly promotions where they discounted several hotels, and I think they stared at 7k. They also had great discounts on the very expensive hotels under this program, but they stop it in 2019. There was a website that kept track of these deals, but don't remember if I still have it.

I have enjoyed using the program while traveling in between resorts, or when visiting large urban cities. They also had some sort of agreement with hertz, and for several years no one could beat their pricing if booking through the ihg website, this even included Costco rental prices, but it also stopped working around 2018 or 2019. You also received 5k bonus points for booking with hertz plus 2 or 3 points on the rental rate.

MB59

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Desert Club Las Vegas
You are welcome! I have no status on HICV as I purchased resale. I remember reading some comments that maybe you got the 50k if you had a 2020 reservation, or if a 2020 reservation was cancelled. But never confirmed if that was the case. I had both instances: several reservations in 2020, 2 RCI exchanges that got cancelled by HGVC with 2019 points, and my HICV PCB June booking was cancelled too.

I am attaching a couple of screenshots to keep as record, as I could not find the original email.
Thank you for the attachments. I don't know why I never received any email notices about these bonus announcement. I believe it is because I never book any resort stays with HI Club nor RCI. Also, as I was checking to book a RCI resort, I found out that we actually will use double the points of what is advertised at the RCI website. That said, I converted the points to dollar, it is about $2,400 for a Princeville Hawaii 2-bedroom resort for 7 night. You can probably book with hotel.com or booking.com and get a cheaper rate. I am still very frustrated about how to use my 2020 points. I think the best value is to book a Holiday Inn resort instead of RCI. Not sure how much HI club charge for each reservation; RCI charges $249 for each and cannot cancel or change the reservation - not very flexible.

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
What would you estimate is the value $ you get out of 200,000 vacation points when you use with IHG? How many nights and what would be the average cost of those hotel nights?

I usually get a hotel room for about 20,000 - 30,000 points per night at a Holiday Inn Express. I have used other hotels within the system, but mostly the Express. So, if I get 10 nights to use, (20K each night - 200K) I would have to do the math on how much my Maintenance fees are for the 200,000 points. Also keep in mind that they convert to less than 200,000 when they get into my IHG account.

Last edited:

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara
Thank you for the attachments. I don't know why I never received any email notices about these bonus announcement. I believe it is because I never book any resort stays with HI Club nor RCI. Also, as I was checking to book a RCI resort, I found out that we actually will use double the points of what is advertised at the RCI website. That said, I converted the points to dollar, it is about $2,400 for a Princeville Hawaii 2-bedroom resort for 7 night. You can probably book with hotel.com or booking.com and get a cheaper rate. I am still very frustrated about how to use my 2020 points. I think the best value is to book a Holiday Inn resort instead of RCI. Not sure how much HI club charge for each reservation; RCI charges $249 for each and cannot cancel or change the reservation - not very flexible.

The point cost you see in RCI is actually the total amount of point that will be deducted from you HICV points account. It is not double what is advertised. There is a $249 exchange fee for a weeks exchange. But ultimately using points in the system is the best value.

What I was recommending before is to book through RCI using points exchanges, not the weeks that have the $249 exchange fee. The points resort have a cap exchange fee of $288. So if the resort has a full month available, and you have the credits to cover the month, your total cost is the 288 exchange fee. To give you an example, look at Bali Hai on Princeville. You can book 21 strait nights in a 2b for 525k and be capped at the exchange fee of $288. HICV does not have Hawaii properties, so something like this is what could be a good way to spend a bunch of points at once in a single reservation.
Image 1-9-21 at 6.25 PM.jpg

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg

If you have a chase IHG credit card associated with HICV. You will get notices to buy extra IHG points and they will give you 60% - 75% more for free. That’s a pretty good deal but would not be a deal without the bonus points. If you hold out you will get a notice a couple times they will give you 100% more.
Up to 250,000 points would give you 500,000 points. That would cost you $2500.00
100,000 PT’s would cost $1000 but you get 200,000 PT’s.
lower amounts available.
I normally announce it on our Facebook page to remind others. I normally buy extra.

Using points can save money , or not on stays. Need to do the math.
Dave

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
Converting points is defiantly a waste of points. 500k HICV points maintenance fees is probably around $3500 or more. After conversion its only 400k IHG points which you could buy for $2000. Your throwing away $1500 a year just by owning.