• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Expiring 2020 Holiday Inn Club points

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Converting points is defiantly a waste of points. 500k HICV points maintenance fees is probably around $3500 or more. After conversion its only 400k IHG points which you could buy for $2000. Your throwing away $1500 a year just by owning.

Greetings, how do you buy IHG points?
I own three points packages, but my total maintenance fees are about $2100 this year. That is for 390,000 points. The math will vary for everyone depending on the cost of the units purchased and the annual maintenance fees. Granted, there is a conversion deficit when I deposit these points into IHG, but it does give me flexibility to stay at hotels when the timeshare is not my preference for travel. Plus, I use my points for stays in HICV HIVC resorts also. I have not used RCI in a long time because I am able to find what I want within HIVC, or IHG>

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
Greetings, how do you buy IHG points?
I own three points packages, but my total maintenance fees are about $2100 this year. That is for 390,000 points. The math will vary for everyone depending on the cost of the units purchased and the annual maintenance fees. Granted, there is a conversion deficit when I deposit these points into IHG, but it does give me flexibility to stay at hotels when the timeshare is not my preference for travel. Plus, I use my points for stays in HICV HIVC resorts also. I have not used RCI in a long time because I am able to find what I want within HIVC, or IHG>
go to ihg.com but wait for the 3 or 4 times a year they give you a 100% bonus on purchase. So in your case if you convert all 390,000 points they convert to 312,000 points. You pay $2100 for those points in maintenance but could buy them straight from IHG for $1560. So in your case your spending $500 more then you should. That doesnt even take into account the charge for converting the points or your yearly membership fees.

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
go to ihg.com but wait for the 3 or 4 times a year they give you a 100% bonus on purchase. So in your case if you convert all 390,000 points they convert to 312,000 points. You pay $2100 for those points in maintenance but could buy them straight from IHG for $1560. So in your case your spending $500 more then you should. That doesnt even take into account the charge for converting the points or your yearly membership fees.

Wow, you have given me something to think about. I never did this type of math on the IHG points. If I sell or give away my points in the Horizon program (something I am considering) can I still buy IGH points in the way you describe? I am liking this bonus program which apparently pops up a few times yearly.

Thanks for the intro to this idea, and I await further clarification on how I can take advantage of this.

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
Wow, you have given me something to think about. I never did this type of math on the IHG points. If I sell or give away my points in the Horizon program (something I am considering) can I still buy IGH points in the way you describe? I am liking this bonus program which apparently pops up a few times yearly.

Thanks for the intro to this idea, and I await further clarification on how I can take advantage of this.
yes...its separate from hicv

MB59

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Desert Club Las Vegas
The point cost you see in RCI is actually the total amount of point that will be deducted from you HICV points account. It is not double what is advertised. There is a $249 exchange fee for a weeks exchange. But ultimately using points in the system is the best value.

What I was recommending before is to book through RCI using points exchanges, not the weeks that have the $249 exchange fee. The points resort have a cap exchange fee of $288. So if the resort has a full month available, and you have the credits to cover the month, your total cost is the 288 exchange fee. To give you an example, look at Bali Hai on Princeville. You can book 21 strait nights in a 2b for 525k and be capped at the exchange fee of $288. HICV does not have Hawaii properties, so something like this is what could be a good way to spend a bunch of points at once in a single reservation. View attachment 30907

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for clarifying the point/week differences in RCI exchange. It would certainly be wonderful if I can spend a month in Hawaii paradise paying only $288 exchange fee and use up my 2020 points. How do you search "point" only resorts in RCI? The resort I was looking at is a "week resort" and costs 48,000 HIC points. But when I called the RCI reservation line, the lady told me that I would need 96,000 HIC points to book one week. I will call them again tomorrow and ask for more information. Thanks again!

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Thank you for clarifying the point/week differences in RCI exchange. It would certainly be wonderful if I can spend a month in Hawaii paradise paying only $288 exchange fee and use up my 2020 points. How do you search "point" only resorts in RCI? The resort I was looking at is a "week resort" and costs 48,000 HIC points. But when I called the RCI reservation line, the lady told me that I would need 96,000 HIC points to book one week. I will call them again tomorrow and ask for more information. Thanks again!
Most point inventory drops at 12 months for home resort use, then at 11 months becomes available for home group of resorts (same manager or developer) and then becomes available for everyone at 10 months prior to check in. The longer it sits the less likely that long stretches will be available except during off season and in areas with an abundance of timeshares. 21 days is the maximum you can book with a single exchange fee.

When you say looking at were you looking at the 48,000 point week through the HICV rci portal?

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
When I converted points to IHG there is a limit on how many I can convert. If I convert all of my points I have to pay separate fee for points over 60,000( Estimates). Usually I don’t put all my points there. This year I haven’t put any in IHG. I have accumulated a lot of points from previous years. Probably will leave my 2021 points in HICV and exchange within. Usually can do this online but I have called HICV at other times.

MB59

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Desert Club Las Vegas
Most point inventory drops at 12 months for home resort use, then at 11 months becomes available for home group of resorts (same manager or developer) and then becomes available for everyone at 10 months prior to check in. The longer it sits the less likely that long stretches will be available except during off season and in areas with an abundance of timeshares. 21 days is the maximum you can book with a single exchange fee.

When you say looking at were you looking at the 48,000 point week through the HICV rci portal?

This is what I was referring to.
1611191460727.png
1611191460727.png

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
So that resort would be 24,000 rci points or 48,000 HICV points. I don't know why the phone agent would tell you that week would cost 96,000 HICV points.

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara

The way I search for points exchanges is to update the search under length of stay. You will see 1-7 nights, 7 nights, and 7+ nights. In your case, you want to click on 7+ nights to see all available resorts that will allow you to book point exchanges.

1-7 nights options does not work as well as there are “week resorts” that offer 3 and 5 nights stays, but they will show it on the title. Some examples of these week’s exchanges of less than 7 nights are some Worldmark properties, Wyndham in NYC, PCB, and flagstaff that I remember.

The 7 night option will give you both the week and points exchanges for the same unit. This is useful for last minute deals, as points have higher points cost than weeks.

MB59

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Desert Club Las Vegas
So that resort would be 24,000 rci points or 48,000 HICV points. I don't know why the phone agent would tell you that week would cost 96,000 HICV points.
Thanks for your confirmation. I did ask the lady why it says HICV Point 48,000 on the screen and she told me that 96,000 is based on the conversion factor to book a RCI resort using HICV points. Also, how do I make sure that when I book the RCI resort, it is withdrawing points from the 2020 inventory? Thanks again.

MB59

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Desert Club Las Vegas
The way I search for points exchanges is to update the search under length of stay. You will see 1-7 nights, 7 nights, and 7+ nights. In your case, you want to click on 7+ nights to see all available resorts that will allow you to book point exchanges.

1-7 nights options does not work as well as there are “week resorts” that offer 3 and 5 nights stays, but they will show it on the title. Some examples of these week’s exchanges of less than 7 nights are some Worldmark properties, Wyndham in NYC, PCB, and flagstaff that I remember.

The 7 night option will give you both the week and points exchanges for the same unit. This is useful for last minute deals, as points have higher points cost than weeks.
Thank you! I will try your suggestion to search for points resorts. I also think points resorts are more flexible and better.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for your confirmation. I did ask the lady why it says HICV Point 48,000 on the screen and she told me that 96,000 is based on the conversion factor to book a RCI resort using HICV points. Also, how do I make sure that when I book the RCI resort, it is withdrawing points from the 2020 inventory? Thanks again.
You often can't and they will pull from newer points vs the older points. Once you see that happens you have to call HICV and get them to fix it.