• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Experts say it may be time for grocery stores to ban customers from coming inside

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
I searched for a health “expert” in the article. Several worker “experts” and grocery owners. I may have missed it.

Cheers

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I searched for a health “expert” in the article. Several worker “experts” and grocery owners. I may have missed it.

Cheers
No you didn’t. I took notice of union leaders, protecting workers, minimizing risk.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
No you didn’t. I took notice of union leaders, protecting workers, minimizing risk.
Why do I feel this would be a contentious social issue?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I have become accustomed to curbside and delivery. However they would have to massively ramp up people to support this since we have discussed in other forums how everyone is having a terrible time securing delivery slots.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have become accustomed to curbside and delivery. However they would have to massively ramp up people to support this since we have discussed in other forums how everyone is having a terrible time securing delivery slots.
We’ve been using Instacart for the past couple of weeks and we like it. I just know that a lot of people would be very upset if they weren’t allowed to go into the grocery store.

We often got takeout from restaurants before the SAH so that isn’t a big deal. I do miss going to eat in restaurants but I know they’ll open eventually.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why me being in the store is less safe than an Instacart person being in the store. One person is one person. It's just outsourcing the risk to someone who feels they need the money, vs. being able to stay at home. The risk is the same; the difference is the socio-economic status of the person fulfilling the task. Unless there is something I'm missing....

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm not sure why me being in the store is less safe than an Instacart person being in the store. One person is one person. It's just outsourcing the risk to someone who feels they need the money, vs. being able to stay at home. The risk is the same; the difference is the socio-economic status of the person fulfilling the task. Unless there is something I'm missing....

We use it because it is safer for us. It reduces the number of people we come into contact with. You’re correct that it probably doesn’t make it any safer for the employees.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that if the money and volunteers for the charities giving out boxes of food to layed-off out of workers, dries up, we're in deep do-do. In some places Nat'l Guard are helping. Churches are risking their parishioner's lives building food boxes. Places like NYC and San Francisco, close to 30% of 1st responders are sick. You can't keep homeless people separated forever.

Oh, never mind. I'm just venting.

Jim

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your point is made in the second half of the article. Titles for articles are usually authored by editors, not the writer/reporter. Sensationalism sells.

Any thinking person who reads the entire article and understands how unworkable banning "regular customers" from grocery stores in favor of "gig" shoppers is, and it gains nothing. It is extremely difficult to book a slot for grocery pick-up as it currently stands.

The editor who composed the sensational title for this backwater article either never read the entire article, or just cherry-picked the first half for sensationalism.

This is just one more example why people are becoming more educated and cynical about the "media" in general.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
IMHO, if you want a panic / riots in America just try to ban American from going to the grocery and hardware stores.

Is my post over the top?????????. It may be deleted. no problem. No hurt feeling.

Last edited:

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
We've tried ordering our groceries online for delivery. It's usually a week out for a slot and we've timed out before we can place our order. So we do go in person @ every 10 days or so. Heinen's, which is a Cleveland chain, has had to close two stores temporarily due to an employee being diagnosed with Covid-19. After deep sanitizing they reopen.

With the protests that have sprung up in the last week over "stay-at-home" restrictions, adding groceries and hardware stores would lead to increased demonstrations as Pedro47 has posted.

[political commentary removed]

Last edited by a moderator:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Let's avoid politics, shall we?

Trips to Walmart and the grocery are the highlight of our lives.
Most of our debates center around who gets to go and when.
The only other exciting thing in our lives is the mail delivery.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I am not aware of any of the grocery stores near me having a pre-order / pickup option. I have tried to schedule delivery multiple times, but so far have not found an available delivery slots. Similar to Talent312, i enjoy going to the stores, so it does not really bother me that much.

The lack of available delivery slots just shows that the stores don't have the ability to staff up and offer this in major way. Then if you ban customers from entering the stores, you would also stop 3rd party delivery services like Instacart, and the capacity is reduced even more. If you add in the fact that some people don't have computer access or need to pay cash due to credit issues i don't see this happening anytime soon.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why even have grocery stores. Just deliver right from warehouses. That has to be cheaper then having someone shop for you.

geekette

Reaction score
IMHO, if you want a panic / riots in America just try to ban American from going to the grocery and hardware stores.
haven't we already seen the stampedes for TP and meat??

If this story came out yesterday, I would expect to see on my local news, again, masses trying to cram into stores today.

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
Let's avoid politics, shall we?

Trips to Walmart and the grocery are the highlight of our lives.
Most of our debates center around who gets to go and when.
The only other exciting thing in our lives is the mail delivery.

Don’t underestimate the excitement of (my personal weekly highlight) trash day!!

geekette

Reaction score
I don't think one would have to be "an expert" to understand how bad this has gotten for grocery workers. I think part of the problem is that it has been "an allowed" activity so many people have increased their number of trips, not decreased. Then, management in some places not allowing masks, not supplying hand sanitizer, etc. It became far too late to protect the front line workers and/or put requirements on customers (limit number in store, require masks, one person per cart...).

I called them as the new petri dish after cruise ships docked. I definitely did not have to have any credentials in retail management to see it. Footage of lines around the Costco to get in were a telling indicator.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation

What about our local restaurant owners? Many are open for business, seem to really want people to come in and pick up takeout. Of course that brings them into contact with others- coworkers, customers, delivery services- multiple times per day.

Is it a negative to patronize our local restaurants because other than the restaurant owners' and workers' socioeconomic status resulting in them needing the income, they could just stay home?

Or is it a positive to patronize our local restaurants to help them stay afloat right now, and keep the paydays happening?

I think most of us who seek to earn a paycheck do so because of our socioeconomic status- if I were independently wealthy, I probably would not hold a regular paycheck type of job myself. I personally do not feel exploited by my work, even though it brings me into contact with many more people than I'd be in contact with if I stayed home. Instead, I feel really lucky to have a steady paycheck.

I've given some thought to exactly the point you've made, because I've been using Instacart lately. My reason for avoiding a grocery store is not concern that I'll personally be infected but instead its concern that I have contact with too many people at work so I can't justify having any other contact with folks outside my own household right now, lest I be a source of exposure to others. I agree with you the logic of decreasing the number of human exposures breaks down at some point. But Instacart and grocery chains could/do work on minimizing risk to their employees and exactly how they conduct business is outside of my control. All I can do is control my own variables while not being blind to the impact on others.